The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nils Hoglander | #21 | LW

ItalianCanuck1

Finer details of the game is lacking for Hoglander.

Several times I noticed that he made some pretty risky plays with the puck. He coughed the puck up in transition when he had a lane to simply dump the puck in and turned into a scoring chance. He iced the puck instead taking two strides to cross the red line. Just slow to defensive reads.

I think he needs some refinement for sure, but sometimes it looks like he has brain dead moments in the dzone which is why I don't think he will get long looks or the benefit of the doubt with this coaching staff. He needs to be harder on his stick and have more situational awareness. He works hard but just doesn't seem to have the hockey IQ to use it.

4 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Several times I noticed that he made some pretty risky plays with the puck. He coughed the puck up in transition when he had a lane to simply dump the puck in and turned into a scoring chance. He iced the puck instead taking two strides to cross the red line. Just slow to defensive reads.

I think he needs some refinement for sure, but sometimes it looks like he has brain dead moments in the dzone which is why I don't think he will get long looks or the benefit of the doubt with this coaching staff. He needs to be harder on his stick and have more situational awareness. He works hard but just doesn't seem to have the hockey IQ to use it.

He's a work in progress. Be patient. :) 

7 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Yeah, I watched Hoglander closely last game and it feels like he doesn't have the motor of his rookie season either. Sometimes he puts on the jets, but he seems to play more at 80% effort now than 120% as a rookie. Lets pucks just come to him a lot more often than going to get them like he did as a rookie.

• Like 1

Don't know what we've done to Hoglander, decent pick, great skill and drive, yet like most Canucks prospects he's floating out there now. He looked good with Bo and Miller but honestly who wouldn't? 

We have to have a serious look in this organization to see how we draft and develop players, because we've made an absolute mess out of Hoglander, Rathbone and Podkolzin this year. So many people outside of the Canucks thought Rathbone and Podkolzin were top candidates to have break-out seasons yet they're flailing out there and mostly in the press box, and are too old to be developed in the AHL. We're wasting our best prospects out here, something's not right...

6 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Don't know what we've done to Hoglander, decent pick, great skill and drive, yet like most Canucks prospects he's floating out there now. He looked good with Bo and Miller but honestly who wouldn't? 

We have to have a serious look in this organization to see how we draft and develop players, because we've made an absolute mess out of Hoglander, Rathbone and Podkolzin this year. So many people outside of the Canucks thought Rathbone and Podkolzin were top candidates to have break-out seasons yet they're flailing out there and mostly in the press box, and are too old to be developed in the AHL. We're wasting our best prospects out here, something's not right...

Just to rub salt I will mention that Big Mac is playing 15 minutes a game and producing just under 0.5 ppg. He plays the heavy game and drops them for his team mates. Torts loves him. 

• There it is 1

Hoglander's goal tonight spots him into 157th in all-time Canuck scoring.  Sandwiched between 2 similar smaller/high engine players.

156.  Tyler Motte C 196 28 22 50
157.  Nils Hoglander RW 134 25 25 50
158.  Marc Crawford LW 176 19 31 50

• 2 weeks later...

I think it might be a good idea to send him down to the AHL like they did with Podz.  It is really helping Podz.  Hogz just doesn't look like he belongs right now.  When you notice what he is doing wrong more than what he does right there is a problem. B)

On 11/25/2022 at 7:07 AM, Boudrias said:

Just to rub salt I will mention that Big Mac is playing 15 minutes a game and producing just under 0.5 ppg. He plays the heavy game and drops them for his team mates. Torts loves him. 

Can't say this aged too well, 2 1/2 weeks later, he's at 8 points in 27 games. Don't get me wrong - that's still very reasonable production given what else he brings to the table - though one has to wonder if his prior production was just a bit of a flash in the pan, or he really has the potential to play like that consistently. 

8 hours ago, saucypass said:

This kid can play anywhere in the lineup. His compete level is great especially for a smaller player. Can't give up on Hogz, he has real potential. 

Hogs is without a doubt a keeper. He generates play, plain and simple. Top that with his hits, 2 nice ones last night. Lower body strength helps his play. Getting stronger on the d-side. You can see him looking around for his check a lot. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, iBlueGreen said:

It looks like Nils got some top end speed and sleeker since the last game.  Even the NHL.com has a sleeker version of him in his background image, with a different number:

image.thumb.png.9bd22564952cedf978b6660820949820.png

That’s right, he had a breakaway last game through as pass from Petey. Might’ve gained some height too… 

• Haha 1

I haven't watched an entire Canucks game in some time now, but was able to see the 3rd period last night.

Hogs has never been a favourite of mine, but last night's game shows that his development is trending

upward. I was impressed by how much his game has improved.  Given his age, he is still a long way from

his peak, which may end up being huge for the Canucks going forward.

I really liked the look of the Garland-Dries-Hog line last game. Don't get me wrong they are small but they all have a bit of bite/snarl to their respective games which you need when you're a smaller player. When Hogs laid out 6'6" Zohorna you just knew that line wasn't taking any sh*t from anyone and they were rewarded for it.