The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nils Hoglander | #21 | LW

ItalianCanuck1

On 4/13/2023 at 5:55 AM, NorthWestNuck said:

True, but cap hits are slightly less of an obstacle  during the off season. All teams have salary coming off the books and haven’t usually decided exactly how they’re going to spend it yet, so they’re a little more flexible.

This is one of the worst UFA classes I can remember, only a couple of guys over .75 ppg.   Garland, or Boeser @~$5mill will be tradeable, but likely not for big returns.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BCNate said:

This is one of the worst UFA classes I can remember, only a couple of guys over .75 ppg.   Garland, or Boeser @~$5mill will be tradeable, but likely not for big returns.

I don't believe that we need to retain to trade Boeser, if we want to move him off season, I believe there are takers this summer before teams start to finalize rosters. If team is willing to, it might improve overall return, but he's a talented player who really started to recover his game after the stress of the deadline passed.

After having a horrible year, breaking his hand in camp etc, he still managed .74 points per game average. The Wild just extended Boldy at 7 million per season on a .77 point per game season where he was healthy all year.

The 6.65 isn't out of line in the NHL, but its not an easy cap hit to absorb during the season when roughly 24 out of 32 teams would have to do major lineup surgery to accommodate the contract.

I do think Boeser is on the move this summer, but I think the return is better than fans think and that unless he's going to Minnesota, there won't retained salary.

Guys I think are moving this summer:

Garland

Boeser

Myers

I'm 50/50 that they will buy out OEL if he won't waive his NMC, which I think he will be asked to do. Buying him out would free up over 7 million next season, management might view the consequences of the following years as an acceptable cost of doing business based on the fact that the cap will begin to rise again at an accelerated rate.

I'm 50/50 that they will decide to move Miller's contract before his NMC kicks in. 

Going to be an interesting summer. Management needs to earn their money over the next 4 months!

Basically, we're sitting at 21 players who "could" play next season on Capfriendly, assuming that Poolman and Pearson remain on LTIR for next season, we sit at around 2...ish million in LTIR space right now against a 83.5 million cap. 

• Like 1
  • There it is 1

13 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

I don't believe that we need to retain to trade Boeser, if we want to move him off season, I believe there are takers this summer before teams start to finalize rosters. If team is willing to, it might improve overall return, but he's a talented player who really started to recover his game after the stress of the deadline passed.

After having a horrible year, breaking his hand in camp etc, he still managed .74 points per game average. The Wild just extended Boldy at 7 million per season on a .77 point per game season where he was healthy all year.

The 6.65 isn't out of line in the NHL, but its not an easy cap hit to absorb during the season when roughly 24 out of 32 teams would have to do major lineup surgery to accommodate the contract.

I do think Boeser is on the move this summer, but I think the return is better than fans think and that unless he's going to Minnesota, there won't retained salary.

Garland

Boeser

Myers

I'm 50/50 that they will buy out OEL if he won't waive his NMC, which I think he will be asked to do. Buying him out would free up over 7 million next season, management might view the consequences of the following years as an acceptable cost of doing business based on the fact that the cap will begin to rise again at an accelerated rate.

I'm 50/50 that they will decide to move Miller's contract before his NMC kicks in. 

Going to be an interesting summer. Management needs to earn their money over the next 4 months!

Basically, we're sitting at 21 players who "could" play next season on Capfriendly, assuming that Poolman and Pearson remain on LTIR for next season, we sit at around 2...ish million in LTIR space right now against a 83.5 million cap. 

I think your list is probably accurate. I BB is likely gone this summer but Meyers and Garland could be held for TDL. Next fall's camp and pre-season will probably rank as one of the most important in many years. A strong camp by a player will probably bump one of the vets out more quickly. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, NorthWestNuck said:

I’d still hold Boeser over Garland myself, but either way Myers and one of Garland/Boeser has to be moved this offseason. I’d like to see us try:

Kuz-Petey-Beau

AidenMc-Miller-Boeser

Mik-???(Raty?)-Podz

PDG-Aman-Joshua

I think you see Hoglander and/or Karlsson before McDonough...I would love to see klimovich given a chance as well but think he's AHL bound for 1 more season (Which is fine)

Honestly....You could probably trade all of Garland, Boeser & Beau for draft picks or package a couple for a D-men or Center. I think we could fill the spots from our prospects and clear over $15 million of CAP in the process. Only issue is that's alot of rookies in the lineup at once. There's gonna be some learning curves and sheltered minutes for some.

We have alot of good prospects knocking on the door for a regular NHL job right now. Time to start integrating some of them into the Canucks lineup will clearing CAP.

Edited by Blitz-Pix

Really hoping Hoglander has a big playoffs for Abby. Lots of minutes and shows his skill.

I want him to be challenging for a spot in Vancouver next season come training camp. Really think he could turn into an extremely versatile and skilled 2 way forward in the NHL.

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

Hogz was on another level last night - he was heads and shoulders above every player on the ice. Speed, puck handling, visions. I can't see him not being in the NHL next season.

All about confidence and consistency for Hogs, should be a super 3rd liner when he can bring that all together 

2 hours ago, Eddie said:

Hogz was on another level last night - he was heads and shoulders above every player on the ice. Speed, puck handling, visions. I can't see him not being in the NHL next season.

Talent has never been his issue. If he can really engage on his defensive game and backcheck, my hope is that we trade Garland this summer, and that Hoglander slides into his role on the team at a more economical rate and we apply Garland's salary cap to upgrades on defense and 4th line energy.

• Upvote 1

On 4/18/2023 at 1:57 PM, VegasCanuck said:

Garland

Boeser

Myers

I think they are looking for room for a 3C… which they could accomplish with room to spare if any of Myers, Garland, or Boeser are moved. I believe Tocchet’s has an issue with Boeser’s fitness. A healthy, fit Boeser could be a major asset… if not fit he would represent a difficult trade. I also think they are looking for some size, speed and grit for the wings to make Tocchet’s system work.

• Cheers 1

Quite an enjoyable read on Hoglander's progress since moving to the Abby Canucks on his birthday. I love that he has bought into the system and his mindset has demonstrated that he has the tools to take the next steps in flourishing. 

Canucks: What's next for Nils Höglander?

"We're very excited about Nils and his process down in Abbotsford — his mindset and his commitment to playing the right way."

Just now, Harvey Specter said:

Quite an enjoyable read on Hoglander's progress since moving to the Abby Canucks on his birthday. I love that he has bought into the system and his mindset has demonstrated that he has the tools to take the next steps in flourishing. 

I really see him as Garland's replacement if we can move him this summer. Plays a really similar game, but for a lot lower cap hit.

22 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

I really see him as Garland's replacement if we can move him this summer. Plays a really similar game, but for a lot lower cap hit.

It would be a nice way to clear around 4M in cap without affecting the roster too much. I don't think Hoglander is ready to directly replace all of Garland's production just yet, but I can certainly see it him in the 30-40 point range with the same abrasive edge.

57 minutes ago, Diamonds said:

It would be a nice way to clear around 4M in cap without affecting the roster too much. I don't think Hoglander is ready to directly replace all of Garland's production just yet, but I can certainly see it him in the 30-40 point range with the same abrasive edge.

As a 20 yr old, Hoglander produced .48 points per game for us. Last year, at 26 years old, Garland produced at .56 points per game for us. 

The problem with Hoglander at 20 and 21 years old was, he wasn't that defensively responsible, prompting his demotion to Abbotsford. If he can get back to that level of production while maintaining a responsible back check, it's not a stretch to think that he could replace Garland.

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1