The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nils Hoglander | #21 | LW

ItalianCanuck1

I wonder if picking up Hoglander   in the second round impacted their decission in trading for Miller, ie Hoglander is our equivalent to next seasons 1st round pick, maybe not quite but close enough to permit us to trade away our pick for immediate help ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fred65 said:

I wonder if picking up Hoglander   in the second round impacted their decission in trading for Miller, ie Hoglander is our equivalent to next seasons 1st round pick, maybe not quite but close enough to permit us to trade away our pick for immediate help ?

They traded for Miller before the draft so that would have had no impact.

I think they’ve been looking for a player like Miller to play in the top 6 for quite some time. This just happened to be the price for a player like that that is signed and in their prime.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Fred65 said:

I think Benning just got lucky again with a great player being available. Hoglander is going to be fun to watch, and suddenly the left side looks pretty good. I hope he gets to play with Pettersson.

Hoglander - Pettersson - Podkolzin

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

They traded for Miller before the draft so that would have had no impact.

I think they’ve been looking for a player like Miller to play in the top 6 for quite some time. This just happened to be the price for a player like that that is signed and in their prime.

I'm not sure about that.

the report stated

The Canucks picked Nils Hoglaner 40th overall but then traded their third-round pick, along with either their 2020 first-round pick or their 2021 first-round pick, and Marek Mazanec, for JT Miller.

2 hours ago, Fred65 said:

When they drafted Woo, they said he was also an equivalent of a first round draft pick. Should we trade another one? 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, smokes said:

When they drafted Woo, they said he was also an equivalent of a first round draft pick. Should we trade another one? 

Yeah I wonder about their thought process, what were they thinking, which came first etc. Funny thing is if they make the play-offs and manage to get to the next round, Hogelander would be the equivalent of what they would get at that stage ie a 16-25 range selection. makes you wonder what their plan was. Ah the old conspiracy theories …. make the summer pass quicker LOL

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, smokes said:

The obvious answer to that is, it depends on what you get for the pick. You don't just look for some way to throw the pick away, as always you consider the value you are getting in return.

10 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

The obvious answer to that is, it depends on what you get for the pick. You don't just look for some way to throw the pick away, as always you consider the value you are getting in return.

I tend to think management has faith in Brackett to make lower round picks which gives them to consider making trades easier

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

I tend to think management has faith in Brackett to make lower round picks which gives them to consider making trades easier

I heard JB say, to justify trading the first to get Miller, that drafting Hoglander in round two was like having an extra first round pick.  Sounds like the Brackett guy is brilliant at the draft.  To me Hoglander is a definite top nine player.  

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I heard JB say, to justify trading the first to get Miller, that drafting Hoglander in round two was like having an extra first round pick.  Sounds like the Brackett guy is brilliant at the draft.  To me Hoglander is a definite top nine player.  

Well I never heard that but I'll say this, it makes sense. Brackett's contract expires next year. I hope the next contract is Asst. GM at good money. He's maybe the best scouting option the club has had. Mind you JB said much the same when he drafted Lind :-)

Edited by Fred65

On 7/21/2019 at 3:03 PM, NUCKER67 said:

I think Benning just got lucky again with a great player being available. Hoglander is going to be fun to watch, and suddenly the left side looks pretty good. I hope he gets to play with Pettersson.

Have to be good to be lucky.  

On 7/21/2019 at 11:03 AM, NUCKER67 said: