The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nils Hoglander | #21 | LW

ItalianCanuck1

10 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

Not overly hard? Maybe show this to some of your guitar playing colleagues and see if they agree. I would be shocked if they did. It is true that throwing your arms around doesn't make you a good nusician. But moving your fingers on the strings as fast as this guy does requires a very high skill level.

I don’t play a guitar, but have one, and can strum a few notes.  This young guy is friggin’ brilliant!   I’ve watched his video several times just see see his fingers move.  He’s incredibly gifted, and (clearly) extremely hard working.  

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

Not overly hard? Maybe show this to some of your guitar playing colleagues and see if they agree. I would be shocked if they did. It is true that throwing your arms around doesn't make you a good nusician. But moving your fingers on the strings as fast as this guy does requires a very high skill level.

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

I don’t play a guitar, but have one, and can strum a few notes.  This young guy is friggin’ brilliant!   I’ve watched his video several times just see see his fingers move.  He’s incredibly gifted, and (clearly) extremely hard working.  

4 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

It does when you use them to hammer on, pull off and finger tap like this guy does.  C'mon man, he's not just 'throwing his arms around' for show and the piece he's playing is 'overly hard'.  

I am sure you seen the 'this drummer is in the wrong gig' vid, now that is flaying your arms around for show.  

I’m not saying he sucks.  I’m saying he is over playing it up.  

Much like Travis Barker playing drums, or a goalie doing a giant windmill on an easy glove save.   

What he is is doing is being done by a lot of people. It’s nothing new, and it’s not overly impressive to experienced musicians.   

Take some time to google it.  

There are some amazing artists doing the same style and it won’t take long to realize what I’m saying.  

2 minutes ago, drummerboy said:

I’m not saying he sucks.  I’m saying he is over playing it up.  

Much like Travis Barker playing drums, or a goalie doing a giant windmill on an easy glove save.   

What he is is doing is being done by a lot of people. It’s nothing new, and it’s not overly impressive to experienced musicians.   

Take some time to google it.  

There are some amazing artists doing the same style and it won’t take long to realize what I’m saying.  

Okay.  His skills are not unique.  He’s still amazing.  It’s like running the 100 in under 10 seconds.  It’s not unique, but it’s sure as heck in a very select group.  

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Awesome!  Love this guy even more.  Let guys know they can't take runs at you.  I like the Gordie Howe action

That guy was looking to make a play on the puck not run Hoglander. Dude dropped like a sack of potatoes.

Now he's out and probably concussed. I am not sure that's a good way to let guys know they can't run you.

4 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

That guy was looking to make a play on the puck not run Hoglander. Dude dropped like a sack of potatoes.

Now he's out and probably concussed. I am not sure that's a good way to let guys know they can't run you.

That's exactly how players (especially smaller guys) create space.  Get the elbows up, just like Gordie.  Hogs just earned himself a couple extra seconds with the puck on his stick.  Guys will think twice about going in on him.  

We want our players to be mean.  It's even better when that meanness comes from our skilled guys.  

I'd like to see Bess start doing this.  

Edited by Alflives
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Alflives said:

That's exactly how players (especially smaller guys) create space.  Get the elbows up, just like Gordie.  Hogs just earned himself a couple extra seconds with the puck on his stick.  Guys will think twice about going in on him.  

We want our players to be mean.  It's even better when that meanness comes from our skilled guys.  

I'd like to see Bess start doing this.  

It's dirty. That guy was looking to make a stick check, a hockey play. Would you be fine if that happened to a player like Hughes who was trying to make a hockey play?

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

It's dirty. That guy was looking to make a stick check, a hockey play. Would you be fine if that happened to a player like Hughes who was trying to make a hockey play?

I'd be fine if Hughes did that to a guy who got too close to him.  Pronger (definitely a great player and proven winner) purposely took suspensions to create a persona that would  give him extra time and space. Duncan Keith, who we all hate, is a dirty player.  Yes, I want my players to be dirty as heck.  I want them to give out cheap elbows, eye gouge, and do what ever it takes to win.  

• Haha 2

45 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Hoglander doesn't know that. In the video right above (2:20 long) we can see multiple players trying to catch him with open ice hits but he managed to slip away from all of them. Maybe he's had enough of players trying to take his head off and decided to do something about it. Can't blame him one bit, and I'd love if all our players had some of that edge. Maybe now guys will think twice before trying to lay him and cause him to have a concussion.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I'd be fine if Hughes did that to a guy who got too close to him.  Pronger (definitely a great player and proven winner) purposely took suspensions to create a persona that would  give him extra time and space. Duncan Keith, who we all hate, is a dirty player.  Yes, I want my players to be dirty as heck.  I want them to give out cheap elbows, eye gouge, and do what ever it takes to win.  

If Marchand did that to Hughes you'd be okay since he'd be protecting himself???? I mean if you're fine with our players doing it you must be fine with it happening to our players right? 

2 minutes ago, Vanuckles said:

Hoglander doesn't know that. In the video right above (2:20 long) we can see multiple players trying to catch him with open ice hits but he managed to slip away from all of them. Maybe he's had enough of players trying to take his head off and decided to do something about it. Can't blame him one bit, and I'd love if all our players had some of that edge. Maybe now guys will think twice before trying to lay him and cause him to have a concussion.

Still doesn't excuse the fact that it was a dirty play.  I don't care if people are trying to hit you all game if you have to respond with a vicious elbow then you're just as bad if not worse. It's alright for him to send a message at someone else's expense?? That's a piss poor excuse. You can see the instant regret of Hoglander right after. He knew he &^@#ed up.

The guy dropped instantly only trying to stick check Hog. No way to protect himself and see that coming.  Got the full blunt of that elbow. That's not a hockey play.

There are ways to counter physical play and that's not one of them. If that happened to anyone of our players nobody would be fine with it and nobody would think it was a hockey play.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Junkyard Dog said:

If Marchand did that to Hughes you'd be okay since he'd be protecting himself???? I mean if you're fine with our players doing it you must be fine with it happening to our players right? 

Still doesn't excuse the fact that it was a dirty play.  I don't care if people are trying to hit you all game if you have to respond with a vicious elbow then you're just as bad if not worse. It's alright for him to send a message at someone else's expense?? That's a piss poor excuse. You can see the instant regret of Hoglander right after. He knew he &^@#ed up.

The guy dropped instantly only trying to stick check Hog. No way to protect himself and see that coming.  Got the full blunt of that elbow. That's not a hockey play.

There are ways to counter physical play and that's not one of them. If that happened to anyone of our players nobody would be fine with it and nobody would think it was a hockey play.

Our guys need to get their gloves off first.  We saw Bess just get concussed because of a bad check into the back.  Hockey is a violent game.  We want our guys to be more violent than the other teams.  "If you can't be them in the alley, you ain't beating them on the ice."

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1