The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nils Hoglander | #21 | LW

ItalianCanuck1

10 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Still doesn't excuse the fact that it was a dirty play.  I don't care if people are trying to hit you all game if you have to respond with a vicious elbow then you're just as bad if not worse. It's alright for him to send a message at someone else's expense?? That's a piss poor excuse. You can see the instant regret of Hoglander right after. He knew he &^@#ed up.

The guy dropped instantly only trying to stick check Hog. No way to protect himself and see that coming.  Got the full blunt of that elbow. That's not a hockey play.

There are ways to counter physical play and that's not one of them. If that happened to anyone of our players nobody would be fine with it and nobody would think it was a hockey play.

I care if people are trying to catch our guys with big hits all game. I do want them to respond any way they know how. I have no issue with Hoglander sending a message. And yes, I do have a double standard. I want our guys to always be the ones dishing out the hurt and never want them be on the receiving end of it. And lord knows, we have been. I hope Petey elbows Matheson into oblivion next time he sees him. I hope Keith gets a career ending concussion. I hope Tierney gets boarded into the stands next time we play Ottawa. I'm a Canucks fan. What's your point?

Edited by Vanuckles
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

If Marchand did that to Hughes you'd be okay since he'd be protecting himself???? I mean if you're fine with our players doing it you must be fine with it happening to our players right? 

Still doesn't excuse the fact that it was a dirty play.  I don't care if people are trying to hit you all game if you have to respond with a vicious elbow then you're just as bad if not worse. It's alright for him to send a message at someone else's expense?? That's a piss poor excuse. You can see the instant regret of Hoglander right after. He knew he &^@#ed up.

The guy dropped instantly only trying to stick check Hog. No way to protect himself and see that coming.  Got the full blunt of that elbow. That's not a hockey play.

There are ways to counter physical play and that's not one of them. If that happened to anyone of our players nobody would be fine with it and nobody would think it was a hockey play.

Were they playing hockey at the time that this incident occurred? It's a hockey play. 

1 minute ago, Vanuckles said:

I care if people are trying to catch our guys with big hits all game. I do want them to respond any way they know how. I have no issue with Hoglander sending a message. And yes, I do have a double standard. I want our guys to always be the ones dishing out the hurt and never want them be on the receiving end of it. I hope Petey elbows Matheson into oblivion next time he sees him. I hope Keith gets a career ending concussion. I hope Tierney gets boarded into the stands next time we play Ottawa. I'm a Canucks fan. What's your point?

It was a dirty play. I've made that point very clear to see. The fact that you're okay with our players being dirty senselessly is classless. You've proven give two $&!#s about that players health and care more about sending a "message". 

There are ways to respond to that and to fight crap with crap is only going to make a bigger pile of crap.

21 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Our guys need to get their gloves off first.  We saw Bess just get concussed because of a bad check into the back.  Hockey is a violent game.  We want our guys to be more violent than the other teams.  "If you can't be them in the alley, you ain't beating them on the ice."

This isn't the old days. Head shots aren't going to be as acceptable.

There's a reason why about 137 NHLers got a settlement.

4 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

It was a dirty play. I've made that point very clear to see. The fact that you're okay with our players being dirty senselessly is classless. You've proven give two $&!#s about that players health and care more about sending a "message". 

There are ways to respond to that and to fight crap with crap is only going to make a bigger pile of crap.

It wasn't senseless. I've made that point very clear. There were plenty of attempts to take his head off in the last highlight package I mentioned earlier, and he finally decided enough is enough and wanted to send a message early in the game before he got a concussion. No issues with hit. Call me classless all you want, like I give 2 sh**s what someone on an hockey forum thinks of me.

1 minute ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Whatever man you can have your own definition. I'll stick with mine. I am not going off track with you.

It's a dumb ambiguous term. I believe Green came to that realization after having used it. Maybe you might want to reconsider it usuage as well? 

As for Hoglander, it doesn't appear he did this with an attempt to injure. The opposing player positioned his head at Hoglander's shoulder height which was very unusual for a player to do - especially given that Hoglander himself is a pretty short individual. I don't think anyone really wants to see hockey players injured in general, but I think most, if not all, of us Canuck fans would agree that we want to see our players have a little pushback so that they aren't vulnerable themselves to unsuspecting hits or cheap shots. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HomeBrew said:

It's a dumb ambiguous term. I believe Green came to that realization after having used it. Maybe you might want to reconsider it usuage as well? 

As for Hoglander, it doesn't appear he did this with an attempt to injure. The opposing player positioned his head at Hoglander's shoulder height which was very unusual for a player to do - especially given that Hoglander himself is a pretty short individual. I don't think anyone really wants to see hockey players injured in general, but I think most, if not all, of us Canuck fans would agree that we want to see our players have a little pushback so that they aren't vulnerable themselves to unsuspecting hits or cheap shots. 

It can be a pretty vague term hence why I am not going to argue about it. A lot of people can have their own definition of it but it is not the point of my arguement.

I am not calling Hoglander a dirty player but that was a dirty play. I am upset of the fact that people find it acceptable. It's classless.

We can have pushback. ie. Petey reverse check, he didn't need a elbow for that. Or actually stand up for each other when $&!# like that happens to us instead of responding one cowardly act with another.

• Upvote 4

There really is no excuse for clearly sending an elbow straight through someone's head in any situation. The fact that some people are proud of the double standard they hold in regards to hits to the head is honestly kind of disgusting. 

I don't think Hoglander meant to do that, but he did it and he'll probably get slapped with a suspension for it. 

1 minute ago, Vanuckles said:

It wasn't senseless. I've made that point very clear. There were plenty of attempts to take his head off in the last highlight package I mentioned earlier, and he finally decided enough is enough and wanted to send a message early in the game before he got a concussion. No issues with hit. Call me classless all you want, like I give 2 sh**s what someone on an hockey forum thinks of me.

It was senseless. There was no reason for it. Those attempted hits weren't even in the same game! 

If you want to respond physically he in the damn players face and respond. Enough of this shady ass bull $&!#. This is a mans sport if you have a problem respond as such instead of elbows or hits from behind. It's &^@#ing cowardly man don't you see the point?!?!?

I am going to call it how I see it. Regardless of whether or not you care.

• Wat 1

I don’t mind this at all. It’s unfortunate that a playet was injured but As an undersized guy sometimes you have to “sharpen your elbows” to get some room and reapect out there. I believe Shane O’Brien gave that exact advice regarding Petterson. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Hockey is a contact sport tinker bell. If you don't like it go watch synchronized swimming.  

The Canucks need more players that will do that to other teams as other teams do that to the Canucks all the time. I am sick of the Sedin speed bag response. I am sick of seeing plugs like Matheson body slam our young superstar.  Sick of seeing plugs level guys like Naslund.....I didn't mind Bertuzzi breaking Moore's neck....he deserved it. Moore was not even an NHLer yet he takes out one of the stars of the league fans pay to watch. No one pays to watch some idiot like Moore.

I hope Hoglander keeps up that mean streak. We can surely use it.

Edited by Kanukfanatic
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Hockey is a contact sport tinker bell. If you don't like it go watch synchronized swimming.  

The Canucks need more players that will do that to other teams as other teams do that to the Canucks all the time. I am sick of the Sedin speed bag response. I am sick of seeing plugs like Matheson body slam our young superstar.  Sick of seeing plugs level guys like Naslund.....I didn't mind Bertuzzi breaking his neck....he deserved it.

Never said it was. Just said if you want to play a mans sport then stand up and act accordingly instead of cowardly. If you don't like someone then get in their face, don't hit them from behind or elbow them. No place for dirty plays that can ruin peoples lives. It's disgusting and cowardly. 

Complete lack of class and no integrity for the game. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Never said it was. Just said if you want to play a mans sport then stand up and act accordingly instead of cowardly. If you don't like someone then get in their face, don't hit them from behind or elbow them. No place for dirty plays that can ruin peoples lives. It's disgusting and cowardly. 

Complete lack of class and no integrity for the game. 

Ok then...you never played sports.  Sorry it doesn't let you feel 'safe'.  

Oh...and by the way.  Cowards don't have the guts to do what Hoglander did there. Cowards sit back, take a beating, smile, and apologize for their teeth cutting the other guys fist.  Coward......haha.....sure pal.

Edit:  ...and integrity for the game?  Good god man!!  Have you watch any games from the 70s or 80s? This isn't some foo foo bloody flag football game. These guys play hard and additionally, these days they play for tens of millions of dollars. Only the elite with extreme competitiveness  make it and that is exactly who Hoglander is. 

Edited by Kanukfanatic