Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nils Hoglander | #21 | LW


ItalianCanuck1
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Ray_Cathode said:

I have watched the NHL for 60 years and played most of my life.  The violence in the NHL is no less, it is just different.  If you were a cheap shot artist in earlier times, you got trimmed.  Now you get away with it.  I see so many guys hitting other players in the head with the elbow as they skate past them - like the last elbow on Baertschi - and they get away with it.  The league does nothing and the players do nothing. So weasels get to be nasty and cowardly and are rewarded for it - the coaches pat them on the back for taking out the talent on the other team by any means and guys ending up ending their career and spending the rest of their lives dealing with concussion symptoms.  I don't see that as improvement.  It is exactly like not investigating, arresting, or charging people for property crimes any more and then not reporting it and pretending that the crime rate has gone down.

There’s way to many examples from today’s times to when you started watching watching hockey that are similar to the Baertschi play to list. I’ve also played hockey my whole life so I understand it’s different dirty but to say the violence hasn’t gone down? My dad owns the ‘74 summit series and there’s nothing like that now. Scott Stevens was a national hero for ending careers and now it’s 5+ games for most of his highlights. The game is way softer than ever just look at the league average in hitting over the last 10 years

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

That’s a dirty play, no question about it. I hope he’s not marchand/kadri-ish all the time but I love seeing that edge from him. Maybe we got a guy that will go apesh*t in the playoffs and have the monster games you need from your support players.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm happy he's demonstrated he won't be pushed around.

 

I'm also happy he got this suspension early on in his career so he really internalizes that he can't make plays like that unless he's certain they won't be dangerous.

 

I'm not sure what the health of the player he elbowed is now, but regardless of how well he came away from that, I'm not happy it happened to him.

Edited by 112
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I can't seem to find anything on whether Fredrik Styrman is recovering, in concussion protocol, or any health updates.

 

I did however, find this article:

 

Nasty bang and match penalty when Rögle turned

10/3/2019, 12:34:04 PM

Rögle defeated Luleå for the first time in eight games. But the snack ice cream was Nils Höglander's offensive tackle which took bad on the guests' Fredrik Styrman. The home player got a match penalty while the Luleå player was led out into the locker room.

styrman-jpg

 

Johan Finnström, Brothers Chris and Cam Abbott, Craig Schira and Daniel Zaar.

It has come and gone a couple of players between Luleå and Rögle over the years.

Whether there has been any rivalry between the clubs is unknown, but it was a physical and grim match between the teams in Ängelholm on Thursday.

Rögle broke a negative suite when they won in the extension game after just Craig Schira sent in the 3-2 puck behind Joel Lassinantti.

- We played well today and it was a very intense match, says match winner C More.

But what became the snack ice cream of the match was home player Nils Höglander's offensive tackle in the first period on the guests' Fredrik Styrman. Höglander met the Styrman with an elbow to his face and the latter was long lying on the ice before being helped by the ice, apparently groggy. Höglander received a match penalty.

Source: svt

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

I can't seem to find anything on whether Fredrik Styrman is recovering, in concussion protocol, or any health updates.

 

I did however, find this article:

 

Nasty bang and match penalty when Rögle turned

10/3/2019, 12:34:04 PM

Rögle defeated Luleå for the first time in eight games. But the snack ice cream was Nils Höglander's offensive tackle which took bad on the guests' Fredrik Styrman. The home player got a match penalty while the Luleå player was led out into the locker room.

styrman-jpg

 

Johan Finnström, Brothers Chris and Cam Abbott, Craig Schira and Daniel Zaar.

It has come and gone a couple of players between Luleå and Rögle over the years.

Whether there has been any rivalry between the clubs is unknown, but it was a physical and grim match between the teams in Ängelholm on Thursday.

Rögle broke a negative suite when they won in the extension game after just Craig Schira sent in the 3-2 puck behind Joel Lassinantti.

- We played well today and it was a very intense match, says match winner C More.

But what became the snack ice cream of the match was home player Nils Höglander's offensive tackle in the first period on the guests' Fredrik Styrman. Höglander met the Styrman with an elbow to his face and the latter was long lying on the ice before being helped by the ice, apparently groggy. Höglander received a match penalty.

Source: svt

Hoglander being the snack ice cream is the best news. Good that he had an offensive tackle early.

 

 Also, dudes name is C More?

Edited by N7Nucks
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Steven Stamkos said:

There was two summit series, ‘72 and ‘74. Granted I did get them mixed up. 

 

I have the same DVD's and the 74 Series.  I was in school in 72 and remember watching games during the day.  :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, dpn1 said:

I have the same DVD's and the 74 Series.  I was in school in 72 and remember watching games during the day.  :)

Dvd?....being that old you mean vhs right?....:bigblush:

 

kinda funny everyone ups in arms over this hit....kesler was known to play similar style same with burrows....

heck we are the ones that drafted Matt Cooke ha it's not hoglander is anywhere near cookes level and isn't this hogs like  first dirty hit?...

im okay with the hit, it makes players look over their shoulders and make mistakes.....warning. 

 

 

  • Hydration 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Alflives said:

No.  We want mean players who

will play dirty and cheat to win.  We need a Cup.  I’d pay for the roids if it made us winners.  Just imagine Petey on roids!  

Funniest post I've seen on here in a while

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

 

How so? How does calling someone a coward makes you a coward? What sort of logic is that? 

 

You can have principles and stand up for yourself without these sort of actions can you not? People acting like the only option to send a message are with checks to the head and hits from behind. 

 

I've stated numerous times, time and time again, I don't think Hog is a dirty player but it was a dirty play. My point isn't directly about the elbow but the fact that some people here encourage dirty plays. How does that help the team when you get a major penalty and/or a suspension? When teams are gonna come at us more so because dirty plays? 

 

I've played the game enough to know that I people who do that kind of $&!# are gonna pay the price. People say it'll make people think, no that $&!# even more of a target on your back. Better be willing to answer the bell or be a coward. If Hog pulled that $&!# the NHL players would be always looking for payback. They always do so with Marchand who always is a target despite his antics.

 

We can have players standing up for themselves without $&!# plays. Can we not? Can we come to an agreement on that?

 

Torres hit to seabrook comes to mind when I cheered for a dirty hit and that was also a turning point and helped us in the long run.....

yes if hogs did this in the nhl he would become hated and how is that a bad thing? Breed a lil hate in such a friendly game. He would also have players looking over their shoulders.....

the rat has been two finals and his a star player that will do anything to win and Keith and Kane have both been known to be a lil dirty....

sorry but you win with guys like that not gentleman like the Sedins....

also the team would be fired up wouldn't they? 

Games would be a lot more nasty and fun to watch like the days when Canucks vs Hawks. Nasty good fun hockey. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

Torres hit to seabrook comes to mind when I cheered for a dirty hit and that was also a turning point and helped us in the long run.....

yes if hogs did this in the nhl he would become hated and how is that a bad thing? Breed a lil hate in such a friendly game. He would also have players looking over their shoulders.....

the rat has been two finals and his a star player that will do anything to win and Keith and Kane have both been known to be a lil dirty....

sorry but you win with guys like that not gentleman like the Sedins....

also the team would be fired up wouldn't they? 

Games would be a lot more nasty and fun to watch like the days when Canucks vs Hawks. Nasty good fun hockey. 

Torres had a dirty hit. So was that Aaron Rome late hit against the Horton and that seem to help spark the Bruins. Won 4 of the next 5 against us. I am not sure you can use dirty plays to determine whether or not it helps or doesn't help a team. It's senseless statistic.

 

The Bruins are always seeming to try and get Marchand to stay on the right side of the line while still playing with an edge. Probably because being suspended and taking stupid penalties doesn't help the Bruins win games. Nobody is afraid of Marchand either, he is constantly targeted despite the fact that he's willing to play dirty. Fact of the matter is people are more afraid of Marchand having a big night offensively than his antics.

 

Don't need to act like total gents. I've never stated that. This isn't golf or tennis it's a mans sport. You can play with an edge without crossing any sort of line. There's honor and integrity in this sport. Good solid hard hockey. I'd rather see a fight to spark a team then an elbow or hit to the head that kicks you out of the game. I'd rather see a good hard clean hit then someone run into the boards from behind. Don't you agree? That's my entire argument.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • -Vintage Canuck- changed the title to Nils Hoglander | #36 | LW
  • -AJ- changed the title to Nils Hoglander | #21 | LW

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...