The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nils Hoglander | #21 | LW

ItalianCanuck1

6 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

5ft 9 in size, just like caufield went from top 5 ish to mid 1st rounder. size is a factor when you pick early you need that player to pan out

Hoglander just might have a better NHL career than Caufield.  If a player is smaller, he better be able to skate.  Hoglander can skate, is built like a block, has skill, and is hard nosed.  

• Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Hoglander just might have a better NHL career than Caufield.  If a player is smaller, he better be able to skate.  Hoglander can skate, is built like a block, has skill, and is hard nosed.  

Anything is possible; however, I do want to point out that Caufield had over a goal per game last season, not a point but a goal. He's been getting more points than when players like Kessel were in that league. lol

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, EliasBoeser said:

Why even have an account? Why even spend the time? Why do you care? Pick a different sport or just yell at a wall.

thats pretty far fetched, fans dont always have to agree on what management does. even when I dont agree with a posters comments I will stand up for their right to be unhappy with what they think is a bad move. I dont always post about things I am unhappy with and many here can attest to that. I believe most of JBs moves have been good for the team. Even the Juolevi pick as I didn't want a Tkachuck on the team however I am still waiting for some D improvement that he promised before the draft.

Drafting a 5'8 forward and saying all the same things about him others have said about small forwards before is a repeat of what I have witnessed as a fan of this team from October 1970. If i didnt care i wouldnt be on this site. If everyone just agreed it would all be rainbows and unicorns here but we still wouldnt have a cup. 1915

1 hour ago, The Lock said:

Anything is possible; however, I do want to point out that Caufield had over a goal per game last season, not a point but a goal. He's been getting more points than when players like Kessel were in that league. lol

Some of those first round picks from that US development team program will be bustaroos.  They were a stacked team, playing against boys.  I think Zegras and Caufield will struggle against men.  

Hoglander played against men.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, GoldenAlien said:

Ranked #18 by the Athletic, #19 by Elite Prospects, #23 by HockeyProspect.com, #29 by Future Considerations, #35 by TSN/ McKenzie, #41 by McKeen's Hockey.

“Höglander has the best hands in the draft. When he has the puck on his stick, he’s trying to make a skilled play. His puck handling is lightning quick and he often leaves defenders in a knot with how he dangles while in stride. He’s not a selfish dangler, though, as he’s a great passer and looks for his teammates constantly. He’s not a typical playmaker you see run a power play and hang around the half-wall hitting seam passes. He’s always in motion and makes creative feeds. Höglander isn’t the biggest forward at 5-foot-9, but he plays with a lot of energy and engages well. He’s got a bit of an edge to his game, too. He’s a decent skater, more elusive than a burner with very good edges, but he can turn a corner when he needs to.”  -- Corey Pronman.

Aggressive winger with a nonstop motor and the ability to play much bigger than his measurements may indicate. Hoglander has played against adult competition in each of the last two seasons, and his dominance at the summer under-20 Four Nations tournament in August earned him a well-deserved berth on Rogle’s opening-night roster. He certainly didn’t make them regret the decision, as he was an everyday player who contributed in all areas of the rink. He plays the game at a feverish pace no matter the score or how much time is left, and his compete level is exactly what you want in a skill forward who is summoned to tackle key situations. Hoglander isn’t big, but he is fearless in the corners and immediately bounces back from hefty wallops from older, larger opponents. Without the puck, he’s an aggressive forechecker with an active stick who will finish his checks and force turnovers or rushed passes with regularity.

Hoglander is a very good skater with first-step quickness who can accelerate to top speed in an instant. He controls his pace extremely well, and his quick feet and agility allow him to make sharp moves through the neutral zone. Hoglander is a capable stickhandler who weaves his way through a dense network of sticks and bodies, and his cutbacks lure opponents away from coverage before he exploits openings with hard, crisp passes on the tape. He can play the game either inside or out, and he’s a low-maintenance shooter thanks to a quick release and his ability to get shots on net while blanketed. Hoglander has excellent vision, and his decisions with the puck seem to always make sense. -- Steve Kournianos

February 2019 – After spending most of the past two seasons in the Allsvenskan, Höglander has made the jump to the top level for his draft season. Even though Rögle is one of the worst teams in the SHL and Höglander’s minutes have been limited, he’s managed to put up good numbers considering his age. Höglander is a very talented skater with speed that allows him to get breakaway opportunities quite frequently. He has quick and soft hands which allow him to make highlight reel type plays. He’s also a quick thinker who likes to use all those qualities and play a fast-paced game. On top of those qualities, Höglander works really hard and is defensively responsibly as well. And even though he’s undersized at just 5-foot-9, he’s fearless on the ice. He likes to get his nose dirty in front of the net, and he loves to throw big open ice hits. Höglander has top-six upside but even if his offensive upside doesn’t fully materialize, he can still become a great third-liner. He will likely require another year of development before challenging for a spot on an NHL roster. -- Jokke Nevalainen

Played in the SHL one year earlier than EP40, while being a smaller guy.  Nowhere near the impact, but still.very impressive.  

2 minutes ago, mikeyman109 said:

i equated him to Gaudreau who did disappear in the 2019 playoffs. 1915

Completely different players.  Odds are Hoglander never plays in the NHL.  But he plays a physical game.  He’s not JG.  

1 minute ago, mikeyman109 said:

Odds are better for a 2nd round D man than a second round undersized forward.  they are not all Cliff Ronning. 1915

Odds are the same for all players, regardless of position.  2021

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, mikeyman109 said:

We need to draft some D.

I'm actually quite shocked and somewhat concerned we got no defenceman this year.

JB has consistently said young, mobile defenceman are the hardest asset to acquire and then he goes out and gets exactly - None! 

If he's got a plan I guess I have to trust him.  

So maybe you saw that JB was asked why they didn't select any defencemen and answered that they got Hoglander at 40 which he personally thought was a total steal. I think the odds of Hoglander making it are quite a bit better than the average undersized secound-round F.

• Cheers 1

No idea why this guy didn't go in the first round. I was pretty sure he was going in the teens after reading his scouting reports. Already playing in the SHL too. You guys think his ceiling is Brendan Gallagher?