The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nils Hoglander | #21 | LW

ItalianCanuck1

14 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

I hope this doesn't turn into a should've drafted Soderstrom thing. Just remember that Podkolzin has come out and said he wants to be the best defensive forward for Russia. Point watchers are going to surely underestimate Podkolzin.

Oh I agree, there is no point looking back and wishing. Silly. We shouild be thrilled with Podkolzin, and it sounds like he can't wait to get to Vancouver. I can't wait either. Maybe one day Pod the Beast bowls over Soderstrom and hurts the little Swede lol  

12 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Oh I agree, there is no point looking back and wishing. Silly. We shouild be thrilled with Podkolzin, and it sounds like he can't wait to get to Vancouver. I can't wait either. Maybe one day Pod the Beast bowls over Soderstrom and hurts the little Swede lol  

It could happen as soon as this tournament. Not that I condone hurting players.

19 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Podkolizin will be judged by his effectiveness. Bob Gainer and his ilk have been fairly judged over the years and if Podkolzn  is good in his role then the admiration will follow. If he has flaws those to will be looked at.

Yes but guys that play a strong game away from the puck don't get the same recognition and acknowledgement from the casual viewers and the point getters that get in the highlight reel on occasion. Podkolzin seems to have the mentality of doing what it takes to help the team win.

But I'm already getting a sense of Soderstrom being a 60 point dman and Pod being a 40 point guy and people will jump on that and ignore the rest of the game. Jake was being worked on his defensive game and was doing well here for the last couple of years but was criticized mostly up until this year where he's finally putting up some better numbers. The defensive IQ is usually overlooked.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, theo5789 said:

I hope this doesn't turn into a should've drafted Soderstrom thing. Just remember that Podkolzin has come out and said he wants to be the best defensive forward for Russia. Point watchers are going to surely underestimate Podkolzin.

People will do what they want to do and many Canuck fans are very good at doing so; with little regard to thought.

I don't know why you included me in this idea though.  I have never said anything but approval for Podz and was thrilled that JB picked him.  I was merely quoting an uniformed Canuck fan about a player he had massively undervalued.

1 hour ago, theo5789 said:

But I'm already getting a sense of Soderstrom being a 60 point dman and Pod being a 40 point guy and people will jump on that and ignore the rest of the game. Jake was being worked on his defensive game and was doing well here for the last couple of years but was criticized mostly up until this year where he's finally putting up some better numbers. The defensive IQ is usually overlooked.

Nobody else has commented on Soderstrom other than me.  So now you can relax.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I get a sense Nils is going to make a real name for himself during this tournament.

I haven't encountered a single person (in our fanbase, fans of other teams, media, scouts, etc.) that doesn't love the kid want to see him succeed. He plays the right way, he's a bit eccentric, and he's incredibly slick.

I'm excited to see how he plays with other sickly skilled Swedes in his age group.

Edited by nergish

13 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

People will do what they want to do and many Canuck fans are very good at doing so; with little regard to thought.

I don't know why you included me in this idea though.  I have never said anything but approval for Podz and was thrilled that JB picked him.  I was merely quoting an uniformed Canuck fan about a player he had massively undervalued.

Nobody else has commented on Soderstrom other than me.  So now you can relax.

This wasn't directed at you specifically, but these things do stem from somewhere. I know people will do what they want, but that's why I'm hoping that it doesn't become a thing. We have seen this time and time again though, so you're right that it probably can't be stopped.

23 hours ago, theo5789 said:

Yes but guys that play a strong game away from the puck don't get the same recognition and acknowledgement from the casual viewers and the point getters that get in the highlight reel on occasion. Podkolzin seems to have the mentality of doing what it takes to help the team win.

Will fans be happy if he follows the same track as Virtanen ?

23 hours ago, theo5789 said:

Soderstrom is the same as that Smurf D man we had, Larsen.  He’s a Euro league player, and nothing more.  Pods and Hogs are clearly NHL players who will help us win Cups.  

Maybe go to the other teams’ boards if you want to compliment their prospects while insulting ours?  Or are you trying to upset real Canuck’s fans?  

• Wat 3

34 minutes ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

I think Pod is the opposite kind of player as Virtanen. Will fans be happy we picked a guy who might not put up amazing numbers but is solid defensively at 10th overall is more the question. 

if he is a selke trophy winner, then yes. Or even a JT Miller (who achieves early on in his career).

49 minutes ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

I think Pod is the opposite kind of player as Virtanen. Will fans be happy we picked a guy who might not put up amazing numbers but is solid defensively at 10th overall is more the question. 

If he can help creat an identity on this team by forechecking like an animal and driving the net then yes.

Its way too early to be making point predictions though. He’s very early in his development.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Fred65 said:

Will fans be happy if he follows the same track as Virtanen ?

Looks like Virtanen is doing just fine. The difference is Podkolzin won't need the years spent grooming the defensive side of the game as he's doing it already. I'd predict he will be more on par with Horvat's path. Of course not as a center, but the drive and two way play is in place already.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Soderstrom is the same as that Smurf D man we had, Larsen.  He’s a Euro league player, and nothing more.  Pods and Hogs are clearly NHL players who will help us win Cups.  

Maybe go to the other teams’ boards if you want to compliment their prospects while insulting ours?  Or are you trying to upset real Canuck’s fans?  

When did I insult our prospects?

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

If he can help creat an identity on this team by forechecking like an animal and driving the net then yes.

Its way too early to be making point predictions though. He’s very early in his development.

Its never too early to make predictions based on the skillset of a prospect. It may not be very accurate but you can get an idea

20 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Why I asked that question was simple do fans really appreciate Virtanen ie would a clone be considered a success. Every poster has offered a caveat to the comparison which suggests to me folks are not as high on Virtenen as they profess :rolleyes: I have no idea what Podkolzn is or will be but he is at the #10 spot supposed to be better than Virtanen at the #6 spot was/is  :lol: