The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Just now, higgyfan said:

I don't know about relevance, but I can't see anyone trading their 10th and 40th overall for a 9th pick' especially when the gm has no idea who will be available at said 9th. 

What about Milbury?  Dubass traded his first for nothing.  

• Hydration 1
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, DontMessMe said:

Hog looks nice BUT

I rather have Zegras than Hog + Pod. So I wouldve done 6th overall for 10th and 40th tbh. Oh well. 

Well, you would have.  But that means literally nothing to Anaheim who took him anyways no matter was potentially or never offered to them

5 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Well, you would have.  But that means literally nothing to Anaheim who took him anyways no matter was potentially or never offered to them

I think he’s implying we should have traded with Detroit and taken him before Anaheim.

Detroit would have likely still got Seider plus a free 2nd to take another stud like Hoglander.

Just a brain dead strategy to reduce the number of picks we have with how well we’ve drafted the last few years.

I was and am a big fan of Zegras and thought of him as highly as 5th overall if I had the pick. But I didn’t want to trade 10th plus our 2nd for the pick. I was saying trade up to 8th with our 1rst and 3rd but definitely not worth moving the 2nd as well just for two spots. We’ll never know if any team wanted to risk moving down or what a cost would have been even if they did. Much like Benning and co didn’t want to risk moving down the year we selected Pettersson a little early. While Pods has had a tough year I am more than pleased with the selection of Hogs and the progression this kid has shown since drafting him. Hoglander is the real deal! This kid has heart which you can see in his preparation at such a young age with how he’s a workout warrior.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

I was and am a big fan of Zegras and thought of him as highly as 5th overall if I had the pick. But I didn’t want to trade 10th plus our 2nd for the pick. I was saying trade up to 8th with our 1rst and 3rd but definitely not worth moving the 2nd as well just for two spots. We’ll never know if any team wanted to risk moving down or what a cost would have been even if they did. Much like Benning and co didn’t want to risk moving down the year we selected Pettersson a little early. While Pods has had a tough year I am more than pleased with the selection of Hogs and the progression this kid has shown since drafting him. Hoglander is the real deal! This kid has heart which you can see in his preparation at such a young age with how he’s a workout warrior.

If we traded that 3rd, we wouldn't have Miller. I'll take Miller and Pod over Zegras (assuming the 2nd stays the same, although maybe we go in a different direction if we took Zegras).

I don't think Pod is having a tough year at all. He's playing more games this year already surpassing the number of games he's played in the VHL and putting up a better point production so far. Not many 18 year olds seem to crack the KHL roster and yet he has seen some time there, more so than last year. He's continuing to develop, is part of the leadership group amongst the Russian squad, and has the drive to be a smart defensive player on top of adding some offensive punch. He's not stealing the spotlight offensively, but I think he will slot into the NHL rather easily with his play style especially after another year of development with likely more time in arguably the next best league after the NHL.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, SergioMomesso said:

I don’t think any of the 31 GM’s in the NHL would have made that trade at the draft or today. 

Look at Casey Mittestadt.  He looked a lot like Zegras in terms of point production at the ushl and wjhc.   But he is struggling in the show.

• Upvote 1
45 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

If we traded that 3rd, we wouldn't have Miller. I'll take Miller and Pod over Zegras (assuming the 2nd stays the same, although maybe we go in a different direction if we took Zegras).

I don't think Pod is having a tough year at all. He's playing more games this year already surpassing the number of games he's played in the VHL and putting up a better point production so far. Not many 18 year olds seem to crack the KHL roster and yet he has seen some time there, more so than last year. He's continuing to develop, is part of the leadership group amongst the Russian squad, and has the drive to be a smart defensive player on top of adding some offensive punch. He's not stealing the spotlight offensively, but I think he will slot into the NHL rather easily with his play style especially after another year of development with likely more time in arguably the next best league after the NHL.

It’s not like the trade only went through because we had our 3rd rounder for that draft. In the hypothetical scenario that trade still goes through I’m sure but with a future 3rd rounder.

Pod has looked good don’t get me wrong. He does everything really well and plays a great style of hockey which will translate. Most of the discouragement comes from the KHL and lack of TOI when playing in that league. Bouncing around a lot through 3 different leagues never really getting to build chemistry with line mates could be the main reason we’re not seeing the offensive numbers progress to what you’d like to see from a top 10 pick.

10 hours ago, DontMessMe said:

Hog looks nice BUT

I rather have Zegras than Hog + Pod. So I wouldve done 6th overall for 10th and 40th tbh. Oh well. 

Agreed. But the Canucks are still trying to compensate for Gillis' inept drafting, so I see why they didn't pull the trigger on that.  

Zegras is just so creative. He and Pettersson would just be dynamite together. No one on the Canucks can match Pettersson's IQ, creativity and puck skills to truly complement him. 

However down the line, Zegras could potentially force the Canucks to trade Horvat and that would be a monster return that compensates for losing a 2nd round pick. 

Edited by Clock Tower Prison
  • Like 1
6 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

It’s not like the trade only went through because we had our 3rd rounder for that draft. In the hypothetical scenario that trade still goes through I’m sure but with a future 3rd rounder.

Pod has looked good don’t get me wrong. He does everything really well and plays a great style of hockey which will translate. Most of the discouragement comes from the KHL and lack of TOI when playing in that league. Bouncing around a lot through 3 different leagues never really getting to build chemistry with line mates could be the main reason we’re not seeing the offensive numbers progress to what you’d like to see from a top 10 pick.

Maybe so, but just saying we traded that 3rd, so who knows. Maybe they had someone targeted with that 3rd. I'm fine with how it played out.

He was a very recently turned 18 year old. The KHL is arguably the next best league after the NHL. He's playing more in the lower men's league, so he's still playing against men. The defensive side of his game is something that many young players don't have. I'm not overly concerned about his offensive numbers. If he becomes a 50-60 point guy in the NHL (obviously the more the better) that plays in all situations and can be physical, I think that's perfectly fine for a 10th overall pick.

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

So we could see him in Vancouver next year and then Podkolzin the next, nothing wrong with that. Takes a bit of the sting out if we do have to give up our 1st in the next draft. 

Edited by aliboy
16 hours ago, Warhippy said:

16 hours ago, DeNiro said:

I think he’s implying we should have traded with Detroit and taken him before Anaheim.

Detroit would have likely still got Seider plus a free 2nd to take another stud like Hoglander.

Correct. 

16 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Just a brain dead strategy to reduce the number of picks we have with how well we’ve drafted the last few years.

So ARZ was brain dead for moving up to 11th overall from 14th overall? They gave up a 2nd to move up 3 spots to draft Soderstrom

1 hour ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Hoglander was trying for the lacrosse goal again:

The kid’s hands are so amazing, that just trying his lacrosse goal forced the two D and the goalie to over commit.  Then he passes the puck, and there’s a good scoring chance for a teammate.  

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
  • -Vintage Canuck- changed the title to Nils Hoglander | #36 | LW
  • -AJ- changed the title to Nils Hoglander | #21 | LW