The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nils Hoglander | #21 | LW

ItalianCanuck1

I am really seeing Hoglander as a Gallagher type player, which would not be bad at all...…...

I am seeing a driver of play, and very tenacious offensively. He is finesse, quickness and power

I see him sitting on the 1st line, with Pettersson and Miller

1st line...…...RW - Hoglander        Center - Pettersson      RW - Miller 

2nd line...…..RW Pearson        Center - Horvat        RW - Boeser

But if that doesn't work, flipping the RWers around, but the question will be, can Hoglander fill those shoes?

I think he can, and it will really help the team if he can. If he does, Pettersson will take off point wise...….

Because, you know, he is struggling now....LOL

Hoglander is showing to be another Calder candidate......I am good with that!

10 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

I am really seeing Hoglander as a Gallagher type player, which would not be bad at all...…...

I am seeing a driver of play, and very tenacious offensively. He is finesse, quickness and power

I see him sitting on the 1st line, with Pettersson and Miller

1st line...…...RW - Hoglander        Center - Pettersson      RW - Miller 

2nd line...…..RW Pearson        Center - Horvat        RW - Boeser

But if that doesn't work, flipping the RWers around, but the question will be, can Hoglander fill those shoes?

I think he can, and it will really help the team if he can. If he does, Pettersson will take off point wise...….

Because, you know, he is struggling now....LOL

Hoglander is showing to be another Calder candidate......I am good with that!

At this point Virt, Hog and Podz might make Boes expendable.  They'd get a heckuva return for BB

• Cheers 2

15 minutes ago, stawns said:

At this point Virt, Hog and Podz might make Boes expendable.  They'd get a heckuva return for BB

I think it definitely gives us options, that is for sure Stawns

But, I see it even a little differently over the next 2 years or so......

I think a championship teams needs a lot of young guys as well, just to keep that cap down

But I do not see Virtanen as a top 2 line player, just a very solid 3rd line player

and I do not see anything wrong about that at all, because championship teams need 3 solid lines

I have been asking myself several questions, and watching to see, if they can be answered

But honestly, it will be time that answers them...so I wait and enjoy.

My questions are......

#1...………….will Hoglander, Podkolzin, and Madden all reach their ceilings?

#2...………….will Madden surpass Gaudette as the 3rd line center?

#3...………….who is moved out this year, because of these players

#4...………….who do we draft this year, with how many picks?

You see, this year is gravy for me, and I can take or leave the playoffs, as I want to see development (which is happening) :)

and as long as that continues, I will be content. The development and future use of these 3 players, is the most important thing, in my eyes

for the Canucks Offense, as it pretty much solidifies our forwards, if they reach their ceilings.

It is definitely a big picture year for me this year, and Hoglander is a huge part of it.

And no offense meant, but I would keep Boeser…...but yes, the haul would be large, IMO

1 hour ago, Odd. said:

Why am I more excited about Hoglander than Podkolzin? Lol. Both are awesome picks though.

I expect Hoglander to push for a spot next year. Podkolzin in a couple of years.

It’s a lot easier to see what flash skill guys do because it so obvious, trust me when I say this Podz does a lot of stuff that goes unnoticed.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Dats hockey said:

It’s a lot easier to see what flash skill guys do because it so obvious, trust me when I say this Podz does a lot of stuff that goes unnoticed.

100 percent. Teams need players like Pods to win. Tampa doesn't have enough of these types and it shows. Cant wait to see him in a Canucks jersey. He could be the next Burrows. 

24 minutes ago, Darius said:

I wouldn’t bank on anything till I see it.

Remember the days of how Hodgson and Schroeder were tearing it up at the wjc. 

or go back further how jimmy the house sandlak was supposed to make Neely expendable.

i wouldn’t trade one of the top players at 22 years old this team has drafted because of some projections.

not saying the kids won’t turn out to be excellent players but BB seems to be undervalued by some in here.

Of course and there's no rush, at all and of course there's a lot of "it's".  But if Virts development keeps spiking upward, he might be a better option at a cheaper price than Boeser. 

He might not reach Boes production numbers, but he's a better all around player.  If he can get 50-60 points and be a solid 200ft player, that makes for a lot of options.

I'd bet could fetch a young, top 4 dman or a top 10 pick and a depth fwd......plus you get some cap space

1 minute ago, debluvscanucks said:

Some have been undervaluing Boes for awhile now...but he's so much more than just his shot/snipe.  He's been very engaged lately..physical, battling on the boards, etc.  I'm quite happy with him here and feel that it's important to Petey to keep him here.

It's not undervaluing at all.  It's recognizing that you have a surplus of high value players and good young, cheap players who can replace them.

What they could get for Boes' would likely add an extra 3-4 years to their window

1 minute ago, stawns said:

It's not undervaluing at all.  It's recognizing that you have a surplus of high value players and good young, cheap players who can replace them.

What they could get for Boes' would likely add an extra 3-4 years to their window

"What they could get" is often viewed as easier than it really is.    Not many willing to give up top d men these days...they're a pretty highly sought after commodity.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, stawns said:

Of course and there's no rush, at all and of course there's a lot of "it's".  But if Virts development keeps spiking upward, he might be a better option at a cheaper price than Boeser. 

He might not reach Boes production numbers, but he's a better all around player.  If he can get 50-60 points and be a solid 200ft player, that makes for a lot of options.

I'd bet could fetch a young, top 4 dman or a top 10 pick and a depth fwd......plus you get some cap space

Im not sold on Jake being a top 6 player, and thats what they need.  You might be right, if one of the recent picks (Hog or Pod) can replace (BB's) 30 goal production and be a roughly 70-80pt player in their early 20s it might be wise to move an older piece like Brock at that point.  But in light of the fact that in this teams 50 year history weve had a scant (to say the least) number of forwards that are putting up BB numbers at his age I wouldnt be willing to bet on that happening.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Locke Lamora said:

I hope The Hog pushes to make the Canucks next year. I really think another player with a sniper mentality is what we need. Skill-wise, he is a definite up grade on Pearson and Leivo...though I still like those 2 guys but I think their spot in the lineup is too high.

Hog is matching, if not exceeding my expectations I had for him heading into this tournament. On track to be one stars of the WJC. Awesome to watch.

BTW...he’s tied for 3rd in tournament scoring. 

Are you aware that Pearson has 22 points in his last 23 games?

Leivo I agree with, would be a great third liner

I really like Hogs but I think he will spend a year in Utica with some call-ups during the year if we have an injury in the top 9.  I hope others are right that he can make it next year but there is nothing wrong with a transition season in the AHL.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, cyoung said:

No. Lol giving up a guy who is near ppg at 22 is a bad idea. Especially if we are just crossing our fingers that they actually become NHL players.

I don't want to give up Brock for emotional reasons as I love him as a player and person, but I wouldn't be mad if we got a lot value for him.

If I had to bet on someone potentially declining in the following years, it would be Brock. His physical tools seem like they've diminished since his rookie year and may further do so of no fault of his own (injuries). And yet, he's maintaining a PPG pace as you said as a 22 year old. As a result, his value is EXTREMELY high, but as diehard fans who watch him every night, you can sort of tell that he's not necessarily the same player, and you can have a hint of doubt that he may not ever get his rookie year physical tools back. That makes him a player who you can potentially trade now, and look back and say: "wow we didn't expect that trade to turn out so well."

Again, not advertising it for my own sentimental reasons and none of the above is definitive of course, but if we were to explore trades I wouldn't be mad either.

Edited by Grape
  • Cheers 3
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Grape said:

I don't want to give up Brock for emotional reasons as I love him as a player and person, but I wouldn't be mad if we got a lot value for him.

If I had to bet on someone potentially declining in the following years, it would be Brock. His physical tools seem like they've diminished since his rookie year and may further do so of no fault of his own (injuries). And yet, he's maintaining a PPG pace as you said as a 22 year old. As a result, his value is EXTREMELY high, but as diehard fans who watch him every night, you can sort of tell that he's not necessarily the same player, and you can have a hint of doubt that he may not ever get his rookie year physical tools back. That makes him a player who you can potentially trade now, and look back and say: "wow we didn't expect that trade to turn out so well."

Again, not advertising it for my own sentimental reasons and none of the above is definitive of course, but if we were to explore trades I wouldn't be mad either.

If we can get a #1 RHD at a similar age I think we should do it too.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Wat 1

2 hours ago, Darius said:

Im not sold on Jake being a top 6 player, and thats what they need.  You might be right, if one of the recent picks (Hog or Pod) can replace (BB's) 30 goal production and be a roughly 70-80pt player in their early 20s it might be wise to move an older piece like Brock at that point.  But in light of the fact that in this teams 50 year history weve had a scant (to say the least) number of forwards that are putting up BB numbers at his age I wouldnt be willing to bet on that happening.

I'd agree if this surge came out of nowhere, but it hasn't.  He's been steadily improving his game and his numbers and now he's playing with players that actually have some offensive skill and he's getting decent PP time.  I'd say it's much more likely that he improves to be a 50-60 point guy than him regressing back to a 30 point guy.

That said, as I mentioned before, there's lots of "ifs" and JB has time to let it work itself out.

Edited by stawns