The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nils Hoglander | #21 | LW

ItalianCanuck1

3 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Why wouldn't Hoglander be the target on that play? He is the top scorer in the tourny! The Russian player was not trying to avoid the contact and Hogs did not move towards the Russian. It was a physical play that had a player go down. Last I checked hockey was still a physical game. 

Hey, I am on Hogs side on this, but Hogs changed his body position from a position of carrying the puck to a position of hitting...basically moving his weight forward just prior to contact. Party self protection and half predatory. IMO, it was the safest decision for him to make. 

The biggest thing that has happened in skating is that these players are taught to squat while skating to produce more power and speed. It is also a much better position to start from during a hit, because as you start to initiate, you are driving through, using your legs and core and it's momentum for power. But the draw back is that your head is lower, if you do not initiate. 

In this case, Hoglander, who is a physical player, initiated and Denisenko didn't, which is in my opinion it is his fault and choice. But Denisenko choose to skate at Hoglander.

I personally hate those types of call, where the guy that initiates, looses the battle and the other guy gets the penalty. IMO, again, Denisenko accepted the challenge, if not

initiated it him self.

I know someone running at me would cause me to either avoid the check or to lean forward and try to initiate myself, depending on my body position..

To me the call was a joke....

• Upvote 3

Hey, my last words on the subject...……..if Hoglander had jumped into his opponent to make contact, and his initial contact was to the head...…...

I would not be arguing for him.

We would also be burring Denisenko today...…...which indicates to me that the initial contact was to the shoulder

Especially, when Denisenko was out next shift

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Hey, I am on Hogs side on this, but Hogs changed his body position from a position of carrying the puck to a position of hitting...

Because he saw a guy looking to light him up with an open-ice hit.  Was he supposed to just keep skating into it and get clobbered?

5 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

In this case, Hoglander, who is a physical player, initiated and Denisenko didn't, which is in my opinion it is his fault and choice.

Hoglander "initiated" a response to what was coming.  He was clearly not the initiator of the physical play.  What, was Denisenko just blindly skating around, or maybe looking for a simple poke-check yet going right at him?

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Gaudette Celly said:

Because he saw a guy looking to light him up with an open-ice hit.  Was he supposed to just keep skating into it and get clobbered?

Hoglander "initiated" a response to what was coming.  He was clearly not the initiator of the physical play.  What, was Denisenko just blindly skating around, or maybe looking for a simple poke-check yet going right at him?

No, I am on your side and agree

Remember this is happening in a split second and we get the privelidge of seeing it in slow motion.....It happened a lot faster than that

What I am saying here, is that Denisenko initiated this play

answer Hoglander answered it furiously......

In this manner Denisenko was the master of his own making, and moved his body position, to lessen the shoulder contact

Hey, too bad, he lost...…..

Don't start things you can't finish...……..

IMO, this was Denisenko's fault and a blown call by the refs

• Wat 1

Not concerned about this kid at all. He uses his elbows to protect himself not to purposely hurt other players. This is quite evident in the two instances this year. Those elbows will serve him well in the NHL. The rules are different now so no guarantees he won’t get suspended, but I’d rather see him suspended while protecting himself versus being out all year with concussions from cheap hits. 

Pavel Bure used his elbows all the time to fend off cheap shot artists. The rules were different back then. His devastating elbow on Churla didn’t even result in a penalty. Today he would get a 10 game suspension for the same hit. 

I love Hoglander’s compete level. He’s gonna be a beauty. Perfect linemate for BO. I can see BO, Hogs and Podz as a great complimentary second line to the Lotto Line.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Gaudette Celly said:

Based on what?  There is NOTHING in him like Marchand, who intentionally seeks to injure other players while also embellishing and faking injury.  In short, he disrespects other players and the game itself.  Hoglander from all I've seen is much more like Bure -- a smaller skilled guy who will not only play physically but won't take any crap from others who try to take advantage of them.  Where are the intentional cheap shots, the slewfoots, the intents to injure, the embellishment, the faking of injury?

Just because he is a Canuck property does not change the meaning of his previous suspendable, deliberate elbows to the head. In both cases He hit the other player in the head, and both plays were deliberate - that is why he got a major penalty and eviction in both cases. To deny obvious facts on the basis that he is our guy is just stupid. In this most recent case, his action in a close game probably cost his team a trip to the final.  What I am saying is that as a shorter player, that may be the ongoing cost of his survival in the NHL.  The level of his effectiveness in the NHL will be the exact measure of how often he will attract high hits and deliberate attempts at his head. To the exact extent that he responds as he has in these past two incidents for which he was thrown out, he will be behaving like Marchand. Whether it is a slewfoot or a spear or planting a grenade in an opposing player’s diaper is an irrelevant detail, in principle, by instigating these suspendable headshots he has acted like Marchand. 

The alternative, for Hoglander, is the fate of Sidney Crosby - and you might want to review Crosby’s response after suffering multiple concussions.

• Wat 1

On 1/4/2020 at 3:18 PM, Kanukfanatic said:

A poster actually typed "safe work environment" with respect to playing NHL hockey???   

Hahaha, that is so godda&% millennial it is unbelievable.  And if the person who typed that is not a millennial, then they are just clueless!  :picard:

Hogs & Podz.....your post was awesome by the way haha.  I would give you 100 upvotes if I could.

Umm...excuse me but you didn’t address him by his proper pronoun.  

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Just because he is a Canuck property does not change the meaning of his previous suspendable, deliberate elbows to the head. In both cases He hit the other player in the head, and both plays were deliberate - that is why he got a major penalty and eviction in both cases. To deny obvious facts on the basis that he is our guy is just stupid. In this most recent case, his action in a close game probably cost his team a trip to the final.  What I am saying is that as a shorter player, that may be the ongoing cost of his survival in the NHL.  The level of his effectiveness in the NHL will be the exact measure of how often he will attract high hits and deliberate attempts at his head. To the exact extent that he responds as he has in these past two incidents for which he was thrown out, he will be behaving like Marchand. Whether it is a slewfoot or a spear or planting a grenade in an opposing player’s diaper is an irrelevant detail, in principle, by instigating these suspendable headshots he has acted like Marchand. 

The alternative, for Hoglander, is the fate of Sidney Crosby - and you might want to review Crosby’s response after suffering multiple concussions.

Who cares je is a gem.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

There is a lot of talk about the rat here... And only few on these boards despise that little rodent, more than me....however....

if Hoglander shows the same fight, drive and determination anywhere close to that of the rodent, I will be one happy fan...

Obviously nobody want a cheap shot artist doing the kind of crap Marchand has pulled over the years (amazingly he still gets away with most), but I do love our players playing with an edge and show some feistiness to go with their skill...

It will be very interesting to follow his progress... 

Edited by spook007
  • Upvote 1