The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nils Hoglander | #21 | LW

ItalianCanuck1

4 hours ago, VancouveriteinSanDiego2 said:

Year in AHL be good learn smaller ice

This might be the most overrated thing in the history of things to worry about. I have never once heard any GM say it's important for Euros to "learn smaller ice". It's definitely not something players need an entire year to adjust to. If there is a GM/coach that said something along those lines I'll apologize and rescind my comment.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/20/2020 at 1:19 PM, GoldenAlien said:

That's right, San Jose was trying to clear cap space for Heatley, who they got a couple weeks later.  However, the deal wasn't exactly two busts for Ehrhoff.  No one cared about Patrick White -- by 2009 it was clear he was a pretty mediocre prospect.  However, because he was a first round pick, the team who owned his rights get a compensatory second round pick if they don't sign him.  That was the real value of the trade to the Sharks.  They got to dump Lukowich (who was on his way out of the NHL), and receive a second round pick for Ehrhoff.  Rahimi was probably just there to make the contract count even on both sides.

When the Sharks declined to sign White, they got the 55th pick in the 2012 draft, which became Chris Tierney. 

Very informative. Thanks. That trade makes more sense now.

21 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Good to hear Hoglander’s coach sees Hogs helping his team even when he’s not putting up points.  I had concerns about this player’s commitment to being a team guy.  This scoring slump is a good thing.  He’s doing other things to help out.  

I think he has a decent chance to play games for the big club next year.  We need to gradually feed new players ur is into the lineup so we don’t just throw a bunch in at the same time.

He would be on the 3rd line anyways so fairly protected.  

I expect Juolevi and either Hoglander or Lind next year, with the other one doing spot duty for injury call ups.

Then the following year it is Podkolzin and the one of Hoglander or Lind thst doesn’t make the club next season.

DPietro and Rafferty have an outside shot that’s year depending on how things go with guys we re-sign/lose to expansion.

48 minutes ago, Provost said:

I think he has a decent chance to play games for the big club next year.  We need to gradually feed new players ur is into the lineup so we don’t just throw a bunch in at the same time.

He would be on the 3rd line anyways so fairly protected.  

I expect Juolevi and either Hoglander or Lind next year, with the other one doing spot duty for injury call ups.

Then the following year it is Podkolzin and the one of Hoglander or Lind thst doesn’t make the club next season.

DPietro and Rafferty have an outside shot that’s year depending on how things go with guys we re-sign/lose to expansion.

Unless Juolevi improves his skating, if he gets up at all, it won’t be for long.

• Wat 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Unless Juolevi improves his skating, if he gets up at all, it won’t be for long.

Agreed. Unless it has improved quite a bit of late. Every time I’ve watched him his lack of quickness on the defensive side of things hasn’t been up to NHL standards. Rooting for him to succeed though. Contrary to some, critiquing prospects doesn’t mean you want them fail.

As for Hog....want him in North America ASAP.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

I think you're watching the wrong player, Juolevi is a smooth and strong skater. 

I have watched pretty much all of Utica’s games, Juolevi is slow compared to any other Canuck owned D in Utica. He has virtues but skating is not one of them. If you want to see an exceptional skater, watch Rafferty - he has NHL wheels - Juolevi does not. We will see next year whether Juolevi can make and stick with the Canucks.  I’d love to see him do it, but without better skating... emphatically no.