The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nils Hoglander | #21 | LW

ItalianCanuck1

23 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Remember the hit Bure put on Shane Chowderhead from Dallas - the thug that used to goon every talented guy in the league? Hoglander reminds me of him (Bure).

Hmmm I seem to remember something like that happening 

On 3/11/2020 at 6:22 PM, Provost said:

Motte is a LW and Lind is a LW.... it would be Hoglander replacing Motte.  Actually it would be Hoglander replacing Roussel and Roussel replacing Motte, which is a big upgrade.

I like Motte, but he is the forward version of Biega.  Totally replaceable.  He is probably a 13th/14th forward next year depending on who we can get rid of.

I think Motte is a lot better than Biega. He is one of our best forecheckers, if not the best. The 4th line runs so much better when he is on it.
That being said, we will eventually need to make room for Hoglander, Lind, and Podkolzin.

• Cheers 1

Motte is a LW and Lind is a LW.... it would be Hoglander replacing Motte.  Actually it would be Hoglander replacing Roussel and Roussel replacing Motte, which is a big upgrade.

I like Motte, but he is the forward version of Biega.  Totally replaceable.  He is probably a 13th/14th forward next year depending on who we can get rid of.

I would disagree with that. In Benning's terminology, I would call Motte a foundational piece in the bottom 6. He provides consistency in energy and drive that we need to make us hard to play against.

Adding Macewen to that fourth line next season will make it quite scary, unless they decide to keep Virtanen there.

Edited by MrCanuck94
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

Lind is a right shot that mostly plays RW, though is very good on the draw and takes most of the face offs when he is on the ice.

• Upvote 1

On 3/12/2020 at 8:11 PM, Kootenay Gold said:

Still remember the look on Bure's face.... you could tell that he had enough of Churla's BS and it was payback time. Don't recall Bure ever being used as a punching bag after that.

Yep he was pretty pissed for sure! And I don't think I can recall Bure having any issues after that either...I also remember Gino being super proud of his buddy!! 

• Cheers 1

On 3/12/2020 at 9:19 AM, Provost said:

I think Hoglander could benefit from a year in the AHL, but at the same time... we know that Podkolzin is almost a lock to play

FTR, I tend to agree some AHL time would probably help.

But its not due to size, motor or physicality. He is 5'9'' & 190lbs according to elite prospects. That is similar to 225lbs at 6'3.'' Hoglander is absolutely capable of NHL match ups right now. He might be the best athlete on our team as soon as he arrives?

The seasoning would be to bring out the 11 points in 7 WJC games upside for Hoglander.  Not the 16 points in 41 SHL games on the 3rd line at 18/19. At the same age Pettersson destroyed that league. To play Nils on an AHL top line. Instead of with Beagle and Sutter even though he would be good at such a role... 

And the same could be said of Podkolzin? 8 points in 30 AHL games???

18 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

FTR, I tend to agree some AHL time would probably help.

But its not due to size, motor or physicality. He is 5'9'' & 190lbs according to elite prospects. That is similar to 225lbs at 6'3.'' Hoglander is absolutely capable of NHL match ups right now. He might be the best athlete on our team as soon as he arrives?

The seasoning would be to bring out the 11 points in 7 WJC games upside for Hoglander.  Not the 16 points in 41 SHL games on the 3rd line at 18/19. At the same age Pettersson destroyed that league. To play Nils on an AHL top line. Instead of with Beagle and Sutter even though he would be good at such a role... 

And the same could be said of Podkolzin? 8 points in 30 AHL games???

I would only have Hoglander here if he can play reasonable minutes on a 3rd “kid” line that is expected to chip in offence... likely with Gaudette and MacEwan.

The whole reasoning was that Podkolzin is coming the next year and would slot into the same line and it avoids having two rookies at the same time and either of them being stuck on a 4th line in 2021 if both are just getting into the lineup.  No way Green plays two rookies on the 3rd line, and probably neither of them is top 6 material right out of the gate as rookies.

21 minutes ago, Provost said:

I would only have Hoglander here if he can play reasonable minutes on a 3rd “kid” line that is expected to chip in offence... likely with Gaudette and MacEwan.

The whole reasoning was that Podkolzin is coming the next year and would slot into the same line and it avoids having two rookies at the same time and either of them being stuck on a 4th line in 2021 if both are just getting into the lineup.  No way Green plays two rookies on the 3rd line, and probably neither of them is top 6 material right out of the gate as rookies.

Pods is by far the better (more complete) player than Hogs.  Hoglander still needs to mature a lot to be an NHL player.  

• Huggy Bear 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Pods is by far the better (more complete) player than Hogs.  Hoglander still needs to mature a lot to be an NHL player.  

i think hogs might need a year or two in the AHL, before the bigs.

Edited by TNucks1
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

On 3/19/2020 at 7:59 AM, Gawdzukes said:

Motte is a very good player for us. Leads the team physically when he's on the ice. 

I wouldn't be penciling Hoglander in anywhere just yet. He's a flashy player but I'm not sure he has an NHL game. 

Agree completely. I think Hoglander could use at least a few months in Utica, adapting to North American hockey.

Motte’s not going anywhere and the type of role he plays is to allow kids like Lind Hog and Pod sheltered ice time.  Why would we want any of those players to start on the 4th playing  a checking role?

It’s what he’s currently doing for Virtanen and Gaudette already. 

Hoglander is probably gonna spend a year in the AHL. Lind probably gets the Mac treatment and is first call up next year and Pod is another year away.  Not all three of these guys will make it right away. 

Also Virtanen and Gaud have to round out their games before we bring in more players who have to be sheltered. That’s pretty key. 

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...