The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nils Hoglander | #21 | LW

ItalianCanuck1

Kid is small but solidly built... and he is very young so there is a good chance he'll grow another inch and put on pounds.

I would predict he'll end up at 5' 10" and 195, which is more than enough size to play in the NHL.

Combine that with his undoubted amazing puck handling skills and you have a potential top six... maybe a bit of a longshot, but a decent chance.

If he can't crack the top six, then he could still be useful on the third or fourth line and the PK... basically a very similar player to Tyler Motte.

On 6/22/2019 at 3:56 PM, mikeyman109 said:

i equated him to Gaudreau who did disappear in the 2019 playoffs. 1915

But what about these Undersized Playoff Performers: :blink:

St. Louis

T. Fleury

H. Richard

Ronning

Krug

Rafalski

Drury

Arvidsson

T. Johnson

Cammellari

Gallagher

Marchessault

Gionta

Perrault

Schwartz

Marchand

P. Kane

Gretzky

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

10 hours ago, SergioMomesso said:

If Leivo and Pearson put in the work this summer, they will be flanking Bo on the top line. Here’s my ideal lineup. Not likely to happen. But one can dream. 

Pearson Bo Leivo

Anders Lee EP Brock

Miller Sutter Virt

Granlund Beagle Schaller

Gaudette

Edler Tanev

Hughes Schenn

Hutton Myers

Juolevi

Trade Sutter and replace him with Gaudette and then it looks almost perfect.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, SergioMomesso said:

If Leivo and Pearson put in the work this summer, they will be flanking Bo on the top line. Here’s my ideal lineup. Not likely to happen. But one can dream. 

Pearson Bo Leivo

Anders Lee EP Brock

Miller Sutter Virt

Granlund Beagle Schaller

Gaudette

Edler Tanev

Hughes Schenn

Hutton Myers

Juolevi

So EP is our #1C brock is our #1 winger and we traded a first for miller to play in the top 6 not on the 3rd line.

also where’s Stecher? And Roussel? Bear Chz also probably makes opening roster

my guess is we are going to sign one of gardiner or Myers and Also Nyquist, now with those rumours.

Top 6 maybe: 

Miller-EP40-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Nyquist

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, R3aL said:

So EP is our #1C brock is our #1 winger and we traded a first for miller to play in the top 6 not on the 3rd line.

also where’s Stecher? And Roussel? Bear Chz also probably makes opening roster

my guess is we are going to sign one of gardiner or Myers and Also Nyquist, now with those rumours.

Top 6 maybe: 

Miller-EP40-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Nyquist

Mad competition within the forward group this year.... Leivo, Tuna, Bearcheese, will be knocking and would make for a solid 3rd line unit with Sutter

I am totally discounting Adam Gaudette too... another dark horse who should be much improved going into this year

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

JonJon doesn't hit like Nils does, and doubt he squats 300+lbs.  This kid has lightning-quick hands and is aggressive -- kindof what we hoped we were getting in Dahlen.  Apparently got little ice-time last year but still put up decent points.  Would expect he takes a bigger role this year, and think he just might light it up.

Each time I see/read something about this kid I find him more interesting as a prospect.  I noticed that he started playing in a men's league when he was 15yrs old and then graduated to the top tier men's league at 17yrs old.  Wow. 

All those hits and great goals were against adults.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, shad0w4life said:

Replace JV with Lee as well....we are totally getting him damnit!

It sounds like the Canuck's think some of their young guys are ready to make the jump this year and next.  I don't think we are signing an older guy, when Hoglander will be here next season, and Podkolzin the next.  Plus, Lind is coming soon too.  These younger guys will need spots, and they don't get paid too much, which allows us to pay our top guys.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, SergioMomesso said:

Pearson Bo Leivo

Anders Lee EP Brock

Miller Sutter Virt

Granlund Beagle Schaller

Gaudette

Edler Tanev

Hughes Schenn

Hutton Myers

Juolevi

JT Miller is head and shoulders better than Leivo. He won't be on the 3rd line lol. Green already mentioned playing him with Petey. If we got Lee then he plays with Bo.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

JT Miller is head and shoulders better than Leivo. He won't be on the 3rd line lol. Green already mentioned playing him with Petey. If we got Lee then he plays with Bo.

Oh, yes, JTM is a top six winger with us.  The guy is only 26, and on a great cap number.  Great trade by JB.

I'm thinking JB believes Hoglander comes in and plays for us 2020

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, CoolCanucklehead said:

St. Louis

T. Fleury

H. Richard

Ronning

Krug

Rafalski

Drury

Arvidsson

T. Johnson

Cammellari

Gallagher

Marchessault

Gionta

Perrault

Schwartz

Marchand

P. Kane

Gretzky

You made a nice list, but several of those guys are a lot bigger than Caufield.  Several of those guys are not goal scorers, but more energy guys.  The rest are fabulous skaters.

Caufield is small (and very light) and needs to score to help his team.  I think he would have been an excellent player in the 50's and 60's when the players were all a lot smaller, and the bigger guys struggled with skating (largely due to the skates of the time.) 

Now name a goal scorer in the last 10 years who is tiny (light frame) that struggles with skating, and is not at all feisty?

• Wat 1

2 hours ago, Chicken. said:

Mad competition within the forward group this year.... Leivo, Tuna, Bearcheese, will be knocking and would make for a solid 3rd line unit with Sutter

I am totally discounting Adam Gaudette too... another dark horse who should be much improved going into this year

If Sutter starts on team there’s the chance he starts the year in Utica tho cause there are a lot of bottom 6 bodies 

10 hours ago, CoolCanucklehead said:

St. Louis

T. Fleury

H. Richard

Ronning

Krug

Rafalski

Drury

Arvidsson

T. Johnson

Cammellari

Gallagher

Marchessault

Gionta

Perrault

Schwartz

Marchand

P. Kane

Gretzky

Dionne

Verbeek

Ellis

Robert (the French Connection)

Keon

Geoffrion

Cornoyer

Gilbert

Howatt (the Toy Tiger)

Gare (scrapper of the day)

Murak (3M Line)

• Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, Alflives said:

You made a nice list, but several of those guys are a lot bigger than Caufield.  Several of those guys are not goal scorers, but more energy guys.  The rest are fabulous skaters.

Caufield is small (and very light) and needs to score to help his team.  I think he would have been an excellent player in the 50's and 60's when the players were all a lot smaller, and the bigger guys struggled with skating (largely due to the skates of the time.) 

Now name a goal scorer in the last 10 years who is tiny (light frame) that struggles with skating, and is not at all feisty?

Actual scouts say Caufield is a good skater. Not sure why you keep making that up lol.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Debrincat...

You seem to make up your own assessment of players that don't seem to be the full truth. Caulfield skating is not bad. 

I did not agree with you Zegras scouting reports either.

https://www.milehighhockey.com/2019/3/22/18271218/dont-make-the-mistake-of-passing-on-cole-caufield-nhl-draft-scouting-report

A few summers ago, more than half the NHL made the mistake of passing on Alex DeBrincat in the 2016 Entry Draft. The right winger was coming off of back-to-back 50 goal seasons for the Erie Otters in the OHL and had proven to be one of the best goal scorers in the class. Despite his ability to do the most important thing in hockey - put the puck in the net - DeBrincat fell to 39th overall, and there has been no other reason to that drop other than the fact that he stands 5’7” tall. After being drafted by the Chicago Blackhawks in the second round, DeBrincat went on to score 65 goals in only 63 games in his final OHL season before making the jump to the NHL where he is about to become a 40-goal scorer at the ripe old age of 21.

Three years later, we’re going to get the opportunity to see which teams have learned to move past their size bias thanks to Cole Caufield - the 5’7” right winger that is currently setting records for the USNTDP.

The comparison to DeBrincat is an easy one - but it’s apt.

They’re both have elite shots, they both score better than almost everyone else in their draft class and they’ll both end up being drafted later than they should simply because of their height. The amazing part is that while the 21-year-old is is putting up nearly point per game in the NHL this season, Caufield has begun to show that he is better than DeBrincat was at the same age.

So far this season, Caufield is scoring at more than a goal per game pace. Not only is he about to break the record for goals in a season set by Auston Matthews back in 2015, but he’s on the verge of passing Phil Kessel as the NTDP’s all time leading goal scorer.

Concerns about Caufield’s size are logical. The NHL is filled with bigger, stronger players that won’t allow him as much space as he has now, but watching him play, you see that he’s learned ways around his limitations. Caufield is very strong on his feet and does a good job of protecting the puck. His lower body strength allows him to take on physical play and negate issues with his height.

Caufield’s skating is another strength that more than compensates for his lack of size. He’s agile and always keeps his feet moving to find the open space on the ice - both with and without the puck. Combine that with his great hands and he’s shown flashes of incredibly dynamic playmaking skills.

4 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Actual scouts say Caufield is a good skater. Not sure why you keep making that up lol.

I watched several of his games, and noticed he struggles to keep up with boys.  I checked and several scouting reports say the same.  Look it up.  Plus, he's very light.  That's not a good combination for a goal scorer in the NHL.  He will do great at the lower levels though.  

Nils Hoglander will have a better NHL career than Caufield.  

Edited by Alflives

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

I watched several of his games, and noticed he struggles to keep up with boys.  I checked and several scouting reports say the same.  Look it up.  Plus, he's very light.  That's not a good combination for a goal scorer in the NHL.  He will do great at the lower levels though.  

I don't need to look it up because it is wrong. Simply look at the post above yours.

Edit: In case you don't want to scroll up I will put it below....again....for you lol.

Caufield’s skating is another strength that more than compensates for his lack of size. 

Edited by Kanukfanatic
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Kanukfanatic said:

I don't need to look it up because it is wrong. Simply look at the post above yours.

Edit: In case you don't want to scroll up I will put it below....again....for you lol.

Caufield’s skating is another strength that more than compensates for his lack of size. 

It's all opinion anyway.  Even scouts it's just their opinion.  I have not seen Caufield live.  There are scouts that say the kid struggle with skating.  If you look, you will see those opinions.   

I feel confident in saying that if Hoglander was in the US develpment program he would have gone top 20.  Combine European with small and you drop.  He looks fearless and skilled and confident and determined.  I think he, Hughes, Podkolzin, Madden, Woo, Peterson, Dipietro, Gaudette were steals at their draft place.  I am hoping to say the same thing about Rathbone, Keppen, Lind, and Utunen.  

I am pumped about the next 10 years of the club.

• Upvote 2