The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nils Hoglander | #21 | LW

ItalianCanuck1

11 hours ago, aGENT said:

Toffoli, a better player in a similar situation and pay scale, just had to take a pay cut with a completely new and arguably inferior team. I don't think Pearson is in any position to be asking for a raise in the current financial climate if he wants to stay on the team that basically resurrected his career. Don't think you need to worry about him getting a raise (if we even have him back).

Loui is likely taxi squad/in Utica. Sutter is gone at years end (or sooner) and may still be needed if Gaudette doesn't learn to take faceoffs. There will also be injuries. This 'lack of space' is a VERY short term 'problem'. 

There will be a lot of diminished expectations or unexpected unemployment as salaries can't keep accelerating when you have a fixed pie to work with. I don't want to name any players, but as Luongo once lamented his huge deal of the day, so will many other older, too rich veterans come to regret their rich deals - this will become an increasingly young man's league and the teams that draft and develop the best will prevail. Jim, please don't give away any more draft picks when you are so good at selecting premium talent that has been undervalued... unless you can find another Miller!

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, Ray_Cathode said:

There will be a lot of diminished expectations or unexpected unemployment as salaries can't keep accelerating when you have a fixed pie to work with. I don't want to name any players, but as Luongo once lamented his huge deal of the day, so will many other older, too rich veterans come to regret their rich deals - this will become an increasingly young man's league and the teams that draft and develop the best will prevail. Jim, please don't give away any more draft picks when you are so good at selecting premium talent that has been undervalued... unless you can find another Miller!

Yeah I don't think reality has set in for some posters on how drastically Covid is going to effect future contracts. Especially with players voting against further escrow to balance owners losses. The owners are going to claw that back over the next few years on cheaper contracts. Especially guys who fall in the middle/bottom of the roster (as Pearson does).

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Yeah I don't think reality has set in for some posters on how drastically Covid is going to effect future contracts. Especially with players voting against further escrow to balance owners losses. The owners are going to claw that back over the next few years on cheaper contracts. Especially guys who fall in the middle/bottom of the roster (as Pearson does).

Yep, time to double down on scouting and development. Maybe the NHL can start drafting some third world kids who have never seen a piece of ice any bigger than one that can be pictured on a cel phone.

On 12/14/2020 at 8:25 PM, aGENT said:

Because of the money crunch, I am concerned we will lose Brock over this as his next contract will be qualified in the 7 mil range. B)

3 hours ago, dpn1 said:

Because of the money crunch, I am concerned we will lose Brock over this as his next contract will be qualified in the 7 mil range. B)

This:

1 hour ago, WeneedLumme said:

Plus, as we have seen, there is seldom much relationship between the required qualifying offer and the offer that the player actually agrees to. 

His qualifying offer is not some guaranteed dollar amount for term. At WORST we 'have' to pay him that for one year... Which should be more than manageable.

And it's FAR more likely that he signs, for term, at whatever dollar amount makes sense given his level of performance and current market rates at the time. People worry FAR too much about his qualifying offer being any real issue.

• Cheers 3

17 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Anyone worried about new contracts in the next 2 seasons are not taking in to account the power owners have during a covid economy.

True. The fact that the owners are bleeding massive amounts of money while the players are just earning somewhat less but still collecting big money, means that the players have far more to lose than the owners do when it comes to playing hardball.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

True. The fact that the owners are bleeding massive amounts of money while the players are just earning somewhat less but still collecting big money, means that the players have far more to lose than the owners do when it comes to playing hardball.

Yup. Anyone signing the next 5 years or so is going to feel that pinch. Especially depth guys.

7 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Yup. Anyone signing the next 5 years or so is going to feel that pinch. Especially depth guys.

Yes, and it is made even worse by the fact that the players aren't willing to eat anywhere near their full 50% of the huge revenue drop for this year, downloading the shortfall to the next several years.

Means that this season older guys at the tail end of their careers benefit at the expense of the younger players who will be playing a few years from now.

• Cheers 2

On 12/16/2020 at 9:26 AM, aGENT said:

This:

His qualifying offer is not some guaranteed dollar amount for term. At WORST we 'have' to pay him that for one year... Which should be more than manageable.

And it's FAR more likely that he signs, for term, at whatever dollar amount makes sense given his level of performance and current market rates at the time. People worry FAR too much about his qualifying offer being any real issue.

I’ll just say that there’s no way that he doesn’t get qualified but signs a cheaper contract.  

It just doesn’t happen that way... if you find one RFA that did that, I’ll find 20 RFAs that didn’t. 

6 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I’ll just say that there’s no way that he doesn’t get qualified but signs a cheaper contract.  

It just doesn’t happen that way... if you find one RFA that did that, I’ll find 20 RFAs that didn’t. 

Not quite sure what you are talking about. Do you mean nobody does what Stecher did?

Or do you mean that no player signs a new contract before the old one expires, for an annual salary below what his qualifiing offer would be, because he prefers a longer term or some other contract terms rather than the one or two years he might get with a qualifying offer?

Because AAV is absolutely NOT the only part of contracts that are of significance to either players or owners, and it is very common in negotiations to compromise on one point to get something else that is more important to you.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Sure. But these also aren't usual times. A bunch of solid RFA's went unqualified because of Covid financials this year. Never mind getting their usual raises. The last couple years have seen exactly the situation you're describing as rarity, with our very own Canucks. And Hutton was before the pandemic. 

Point being, he'll get paid what he's worth, based on his performance, in whatever the current market looks like at the time. All this fear that he'll need to be overpaid based on his qualifying offer is just silly. 

• Upvote 2