The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nils Hoglander | #21 | LW

ItalianCanuck1

It's pretty exciting to hear about the skills and skating ability he has.  I think it's a great idea slotting him on Bo's line, that could be really interesting.

Horvat and Pearson do a lot of good work together,  Hoglander could add something dynamic to that line.

We have so much more depth and potential talent thanks to good drafting like this, awesome.

So, you guys know how playing with better players makes you better?

Well, Hogs has found his Meca, and he is now playing with guys who think the game on the same frequency

Remember his 11 points in really 6 games, in the last World Juniors 2020 (I say 6 because he really did not play much of his 7th game)

This could not have been more evident than on his goal. He went where his instincts said to go, and looky, Rousell gives him the puck for basically an empty net goal.

Benning and Green have to be smiling!

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Nice article with input from Hoglander's SHL teammates:

Ex-Hoglander teammate Adam Tambellini believes Canuck is ready for prime time

Adam Tambellini is a Nils Hoglander fan.

Tambellini, whose father Steve and brother Jeff both suited up for the Vancouver Canucks, is a former New York Rangers third-round draft pick who is now playing pro in Sweden.

His linemates earlier this season with Rogle BK included Hoglander, the 20-year-old winger who is getting a crack at a top-six forward spot at the Canucks’ training camp at Rogers Arena, playing alongside Bo Horvat and Tanner Pearson.

Hoglander, a 5-9, 185-pound left-handed shot, was Vancouver’s second-round pick, No 40 overall in the 2019 NHL draft.He’s shown a penchant for landing on highlight reels, most notably for his lacrosse-style, scoop-and-score goal.

“I love the way he protects the puck and he has some of the best one-on-one skills that I’ve seen,” the 26-year-old Tambellini explained via text message.

“He rarely gets knocked off the puck because of how strong he is on his skates and how good his stick is. And he has a really good shot to go along with it. For a smaller guy, it’s really impressive. I think the fans will love to watch him play. He does something exciting every game.”

Tambellini has been around the sport at a high level his entire life. His dad was a Canucks assistant general manager and Hockey Canada general manager before taking on GM duties with the Edmonton Oilers.

Tambellini himself starred in the BCHL with both the Vernon Vipers and Surrey Eagles before joining the University of North Dakota for part of a season. He jumped from there to the WHL’s Calgary Hitmen midway through that campaign before finishing his junior career in 2014-15 with the Hitmen, a season in which he scored 47 goals.

Then came three seasons in the Rangers’ system and another as an Ottawa Senators’ farmhand before the move to Sweden for last season.

Tambellini thinks the smaller North American rinks will require some adjustment for Hoglander, but also contends that Hoglander’s abilities in close quarters, with his skating and puck handling, should shine through.

“I think in the end the smaller ice will be a benefit with the way he plays the game,” Tambellini said.

Another former Rogle teammates of Hoglander includes Craig Schira, a 32-year-old defenceman who played in the WHL with both the Regina Pats and Vancouver Giants.

Schira, who’s now playing pro in Germany, said of Hoglander via email: “Nils has the potential to be a great NHL player. Obviously everyone knows how skilled he is but it is other parts of his game, such as his work ethic and how strong he is on the puck, that can set him apart.

“I have played with him and practised against him for a few years now and, even though he isn’t the biggest guy, he was the hardest guy to knock off the puck in the corners. This will be a huge asset for him on a smaller rink. He is also a great person and I think it is this, along with his work ethic and his character, that will benefit him the most in his future.”

Tambellini suggested that Hoglander isn’t accustomed to the media attention he’ll get if he sticks with the Canucks this season, but admits having the likes of Elias Pettersson and Alex Edler close by would help.

“I think it will help him big time to have some other Swedish guys to help him along,” Tambellini said.

Former Giants defenceman Jon Blum is in his second season in the SHL with Farjestad BK, has played against Hoglander a handful of times and tags him as “very fast and creative” when he has the puck.

“I think it will be an adjustment for him to start,” Blum, 31, said via Twitter direct message. “But his (Hoglander) skating and skill is so elite he should be able to get the hang of the small ice and bigger players.”

Hoglander had five goals and 14 points in 23 games with Rogle this season.

The website www.eliteprospects.com gave him this scouting report in 2019: “Hoglander stands out with his exceptional puck skills and hands. Really good stickhandler and he loves getting creative with the puck, scoring spectacular goals at times.

“Decent skater who accelerates well and works very hard along the boards in the offensive zone.”

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, Provost said:

Hey, why is this guy’s thread still in Prospects.?

Shouldn’t we just move him the current roster players now?

him and jake are fighting for the spot later louie, JBs comments after the playoffs, lit a fire under jake and i think he took this off season seriously with the covid finally, so i guess we will see, hoglander does look legit, cant wait for weds

23 minutes ago, TNucks1 said:

him and jake are fighting for the spot later louie, JBs comments after the playoffs, lit a fire under jake and i think he took this off season seriously with the covid finally, so i guess we will see, hoglander does look legit, cant wait for weds

Oh yes.... The Hogs has arrived B):metal:

• Cheers 1

On 6/22/2019 at 11:46 AM, Hogs & Podz said:

I've really wanted this guy for months now... Thought we'd have to get another 1st rounder to get him.  I'm just over the moon with this pick!  Mark my words Hoglander will be the second most skilled forward on our team within a few years!  Wow just wow!  With Podkolzin added as well, in my opinion we have our future forward core!

I know, I know... It was just one scrimmage.

... But, I said a few years...  Boy was I wrong!!:bigblush:.   

Talk of Podz showing up around April?!

... Way Over the moon!!!!:towel:

Edited by Hogs & Podz

Someone who knows Hogs better than I do (I will admit I dont really watch our prospects play over seas) can you let me know if some of the concerns that I have heard about his defensive game is legit? 

My only worry about him potentially being on bo's wing is that Bo is often used as an elite shut down, 2-way line...would Hogs help this line out with the 200 ft game. It seems obvious that he has the offensive instincts. 

2 hours ago, Canucklehead53 said:

Someone who knows Hogs better than I do (I will admit I dont really watch our prospects play over seas) can you let me know if some of the concerns that I have heard about his defensive game is legit? 

My only worry about him potentially being on bo's wing is that Bo is often used as an elite shut down, 2-way line...would Hogs help this line out with the 200 ft game. It seems obvious that he has the offensive instincts. 

At this stage of camp, with the season a week away and Hoglander being the only guy being looked at with Bo and pearson so far, I think it's safe to assume he makes the team out of camp on the 2nd line.  I'd also make the assumption that his defensive game is adequate and shows enough upside to play that shutdown role with Horvat and Pearson.  Travis Green hasn't been the type of coach to give young guys more than they can handle, so I'm confident Hoglander will do well in that role.

If Hoglander can develop into a 40-50 point winger in the next couple years, we are going to be able to legitimately role 3  scoring lines.  To me, that is when we can consider oursleves true contenders.

MIller-EP-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Hoglander/Podkolzin

Hoglander/Podkolzin-Gaudette-Virtanen

• Cheers 2

3 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

In frame 1 above, Hoglander dangles between Jake Virtanen's legs.  Ironic?  Prophetic?

Jake got yelled at for going too hard in practice last year. Imagine he didn't wanna murder the kid in training camp :bigblush:

But for real that was a nice play by Hoglander. Another Swede with clean mitts. Gotta have a lot of them in Vancouver and I am all for it.

4 hours ago, Canucklehead53 said:

There was an interview with his SHL coaching staff some weeks ago. Those concerns were mentioned, but the staff assured that Hogs is NHL ready (like all staffs do when they are interviewed about their players). 

I think Travis is likely to change the way the Horvat line is deployed at least at the start of the season. That line will have less of a role as the shutdown line. The Pettersson line will be matched up against other team's top line.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Maddogy said:

There was an interview with his SHL coaching staff some weeks ago. Those concerns were mentioned, but the staff assured that Hogs is NHL ready (like all staffs do when they are interviewed about their players). 

I think Travis is likely to change the way the Horvat line is deployed at least at the start of the season. That line will have less of a role as the shutdown line. The Pettersson line will be matched up against other team's top line.

I agree, Petey and Brock have become half decent 200ft players and still developing.  They're no Bo defensively but aren't a big liability.  Plus they have JT to lean on.  I think Green is grooming Petey to play second line pk... Like Aho.

6 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

Jake got yelled at for going too hard in practice last year. Imagine he didn't wanna murder the kid in training camp :bigblush:

But for real that was a nice play by Hoglander. Another Swede with clean mitts. Gotta have a lot of them in Vancouver and I am all for it.

By Horvat, not by Green :lol:

9 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

That is not why he got yelled at. Remotely.