The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nils Hoglander | #21 | LW

ItalianCanuck1

Just another reason why you've got to use top picks on pure skill and try and develop the rest. I understand the reason behind our high picks on guys like Podkolskin and Virtanen, but they don't have the hockey IQ of someone like Petey or Hoglander. Yes, you can't teach size, but we're finding the hard way that you can't teach offensive IQ easily either.

Looks more and more every day like Nils might burst onto the scene this year, I do wish we used our high picks on more guys like Hoglander but fair play to the scouts for seeking out the high-end skill of Petersson and Hoglander who arguably should have gone much higher. 

If the kid sticks on Horvat's line, he probably won't play any PP or PK minutes but might get 10-12 mins depending on how he goes, and might really surprise some of the weaker Canadian defences. I'm hoping for a 30 point pace but you never know - his playmaking might bring out the playoff scorer in Horvat that Eriksson managed to bury deep down.

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, StiffStick33 said:

For those that have watched his games back in the SHL, was he on any of the powerplay units?

Say he makes the team, plays well, any chance he might get get some time on pp2 where virtanen plays? 

Yes, he was on the second PP unit in Rögle. Prolly would be the guy that control the 2nd PP unit, but lets see if mgmt figured that out yet.

17 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Horvat didn't hesitate to say he thinks Hoglander is ready. 

Doesn't seem like there is any doubt now. This has turned out to be best case scenario. 

Horvat is a good captain, which means he is not likely to say anything that might damage a rookie's confidence. While I am certainly not saying that Hogs is not ready, you need to take Bo's statement with a grain of salt.

• Vintage 1

2 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

Horvat is a good captain, which means he is not likely to say anything that might damage a rookie's confidence. While I am certainly not saying that Hogs is not ready, you need to take Bo's statement with a grain of salt.

There's ways of being nice to a player without the assertiveness of pro-claiming he's ready. I mean Erik Gudbranson was nice in saying Palmu would have a 'long career' but never said he was immediately ready.

And considering its Bo's potential linemate I put a bit more stock into him saying it so definitively.

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

On 1/8/2021 at 9:24 PM, elvis15 said:

It's not all roses:

We'll find out soon enough, it sounds like he's going to stick around.

I'd imagine that he will stick around, but we may see him and Jake swap roles a few times as the season progresses.

22 minutes ago, BCNate said:

I'd imagine that he will stick around, but we may see him and Jake swap roles a few times as the season progresses.

Him, Jake, Gaudette etc. Yeah, I think we'll see a lot of movement throughout the season.

On 1/9/2021 at 9:27 AM, Brad Marchand said:

Does anyone know if Hoglander has expressed any preference to how he wants his name pronounced? I've keep saying his name with the umlaut 'ö', but I sense that most people will call him 'Hog'-lander.

I heard him interviewed and he doesn’t seem to care too much how how people say his name.

He very patiently attempted to teach Canadian interviewers the Swedish pronunciation, but they couldn’t really get it right, and eventually he basically just said “close enough” and didn’t try to correct them any more. 

I’d imagine he’d prefer something that sounds closer to huh-glander or hoag-lander, instead of hog-lander/hawg-lander, but ultimately, he doesn’t care too much how people say his name, so long as they’re saying it while he plays hockey in the NHL.

• Cheers 1

39 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I heard him interviewed and he doesn’t seem to care too much how how people say his name.

He very patiently attempted to teach Canadian interviewers the Swedish pronunciation, but they couldn’t really get it right, and eventually he basically just said “close enough” and didn’t try to correct them any more. 

I’d imagine he’d prefer something that sounds closer to huh-glander or hoag-lander, instead of hog-lander/hawg-lander, but ultimately, he doesn’t care too much how people say his name, so long as they’re saying it while he plays hockey in the NHL.

But how does Petey say Hoglanders name?