ItalianCanuck1

Nils Hoglander | #36 | LW

13 minutes ago, Maddogy said:

There was an interview with his SHL coaching staff some weeks ago. Those concerns were mentioned, but the staff assured that Hogs is NHL ready (like all staffs do when they are interviewed about their players). 

I think Travis is likely to change the way the Horvat line is deployed at least at the start of the season. That line will have less of a role as the shutdown line. The Pettersson line will be matched up against other team's top line.

I agree, Petey and Brock have become half decent 200ft players and still developing.  They're no Bo defensively but aren't a big liability.  Plus they have JT to lean on.  I think Green is grooming Petey to play second line pk... Like Aho.

6 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

Jake got yelled at for going too hard in practice last year. Imagine he didn't wanna murder the kid in training camp :bigblush:

But for real that was a nice play by Hoglander. Another Swede with clean mitts. Gotta have a lot of them in Vancouver and I am all for it.

By Horvat, not by Green :lol:

9 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

Jake got yelled at for going too hard in practice last year. Imagine he didn't wanna murder the kid in training camp :bigblush:

But for real that was a nice play by Hoglander. Another Swede with clean mitts. Gotta have a lot of them in Vancouver and I am all for it.

That is not why he got yelled at. Remotely.

3 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

By Horvat, not by Green :lol:

14 minutes ago, aGENT said:

That is not why he got yelled at. Remotely.

Again? that happened in the bubble too.. did he run a kid again?

Just another reason why you've got to use top picks on pure skill and try and develop the rest. I understand the reason behind our high picks on guys like Podkolskin and Virtanen, but they don't have the hockey IQ of someone like Petey or Hoglander. Yes, you can't teach size, but we're finding the hard way that you can't teach offensive IQ easily either.

Looks more and more every day like Nils might burst onto the scene this year, I do wish we used our high picks on more guys like Hoglander but fair play to the scouts for seeking out the high-end skill of Petersson and Hoglander who arguably should have gone much higher. 

If the kid sticks on Horvat's line, he probably won't play any PP or PK minutes but might get 10-12 mins depending on how he goes, and might really surprise some of the weaker Canadian defences. I'm hoping for a 30 point pace but you never know - his playmaking might bring out the playoff scorer in Horvat that Eriksson managed to bury deep down.

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

Hoglander is good. Really good. Hope they give him a chance to stick in the top-6. He certainly looks like he belongs. 

Horvat didn't hesitate to say he thinks Hoglander is ready. 

Doesn't seem like there is any doubt now. This has turned out to be best case scenario. 

Green playing Hogz with Pearson and Bo early in training camp has been a blessing. He’s showcased his bonifide skill set and doesn’t look rusty at all considering the games he’s playing in the Swedish League. Hoping for the best for him and that he makes the team!

For those that have watched his games back in the SHL, was he on any of the powerplay units?

Say he makes the team, plays well, any chance he might get get some time on pp2 where virtanen plays? 

10 minutes ago, StiffStick33 said:

For those that have watched his games back in the SHL, was he on any of the powerplay units?

Say he makes the team, plays well, any chance he might get get some time on pp2 where virtanen plays? 

Yes, he was on the second PP unit in Rögle. Prolly would be the guy that control the 2nd PP unit, but lets see if mgmt figured that out yet.

It's not all roses:

We'll find out soon enough, it sounds like he's going to stick around.

Does anyone know if Hoglander has expressed any preference to how he wants his name pronounced? I've keep saying his name with the umlaut 'ö', but I sense that most people will call him 'Hog'-lander.

17 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Horvat didn't hesitate to say he thinks Hoglander is ready. 

Doesn't seem like there is any doubt now. This has turned out to be best case scenario. 

Horvat is a good captain, which means he is not likely to say anything that might damage a rookie's confidence. While I am certainly not saying that Hogs is not ready, you need to take Bo's statement with a grain of salt.

• Vintage 1

2 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

Horvat is a good captain, which means he is not likely to say anything that might damage a rookie's confidence. While I am certainly not saying that Hogs is not ready, you need to take Bo's statement with a grain of salt.

There's ways of being nice to a player without the assertiveness of pro-claiming he's ready. I mean Erik Gudbranson was nice in saying Palmu would have a 'long career' but never said he was immediately ready.

And considering its Bo's potential linemate I put a bit more stock into him saying it so definitively.

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1