The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nils Hoglander | #21 | LW

ItalianCanuck1

On 2/2/2021 at 8:11 AM, Timråfan said:

Can Höglander put an end to the ever talk about "send them to AHL to learn to play NA hockey"? These guys from Sweden has got NHL hockey through their mothers milk. 

SHL is a better league the AHL. So let the players stay in SHL til they're ready to get in the roster.  And if they fail, then send them to AHL. 

Nope.

It was Hoglander that busted his ass in mini training camp to show he should be on the opening roster.  Then backed it up with his hustle and goal scoring in the first few games to stay in the NHL.

That's all on Hoglander. 

I think most fans would welcome any prospect from any league that can do that on a consistent basis like Hoglander. 

On 2/2/2021 at 2:45 AM, DownUndaCanuck said:

Looked good on our top line, I hope he starts there for the next game. Miller needs a shakeup/wake up call but playing Miller and Bo might be a nice, heavy line.

Hoglander, Petey and Brock brings us absolutely no defence but Hogs has played well in the defensive zone and is quick to get back so I'd be happy to try this and see what happens. His puck retrieval is what Miller did so well for so long which is why the line was so successful.

Hoglander and Petey seem to be pretty good defensively. 

21 minutes ago, BPA said:

Nope.

It was Hoglander that busted his ass in mini training camp to show he should be on the opening roster.  Then backed it up with his hustle and goal scoring in the first few games to stay in the NHL.

That's all on Hoglander. 

I think most fans would welcome any prospect from any league that can do that on a consistent basis like Hoglander. 

Most of the Canuck players that came through from the SEL went straight to the NHL.  The SEL is a better league than the AHL.  The Sedins, Petey, Hoglander, Mattias Ohlund, Patrik Sundstrom, Thomas Gradin, Markus Naslund all went straight from the SEL to the NHL.  The only Swedish players that didn't were the ones that played junior in Canada and the goalies.  Alex Edler played in Kelowna and then went to the AHL for a year.  Jacob Markstrom and Eddie Lack both went from the SEL to the AHL.  Obviously with goaltending it is a much more difficult transition so the goalies needed some time in the AHL to adust.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Canucks Curse said:

interestiing

that may make that line of EP, Boes, Hogz too easy to play against- no grit, not great defensively

I'd go:

Pearson- EP-Boeser

Miller-Bo-Hogz

That could work as well.  More than anything, I'm looking to put Miller with Bo.  I think Bo needs a shooter in his line.

Hoglander had by far his best game of the year last night.  He was strong on the puck, and took charge of a terrible 2nd power play unit, that had some life last night.  He missed te net a few times, but his shot sounded different off of the boards/glass, I have to assume he has a heavy shot?

I am very impressed with his game right now---his ability to win battles, his ability to protect the puck, and the ability to get space to shoot.  Earlier in the season I felt he would be a solid 2nd line winger, but he keeps getting better.  I think he has legitimate star potential.

Please Travis Green, give him a shot with EP and Boeser.  I think he will be a good fit, and maybe putting Miller and Horvat together will wake them up a bit.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

4 hours ago, Tyndall2 said:

Someone mentioned that they don't think EP, Boeser and Hoglander would do well defensively?  So which lines currently have the best/worst +/- stats?  I don't think they would be any worse.  

Honestly, I feel like both EP and Hoglander could be great on the PK.

4 hours ago, Tyndall2 said:

Someone mentioned that they don't think EP, Boeser and Hoglander would do well defensively?  So which lines currently have the best/worst +/- stats?  I don't think they would be any worse.  

I'd be willing to bet that Hoglander would win more puck battles, create more turnovers, and cough the puck up far less that JT Miller has this year.  I also feel that Miller and Horvat could be real dangerous together.  Getting Horvat a shoot first guy on his line would be huge.

Even though he missed the net a few times last night, I'd rather he try to pick the corners and miss, than some weak attempt hitting the goalie in the chest protector. Petey missed one or two like that last night as well. Soon they'll start going in.

5 hours ago, Tyndall2 said:

I think that line would be just fine, under normal circumstances. Petey is very responsible defensively when he needs to be, and Boeser has improved his d dramatically.

8 minutes ago, bluesy_shoes said:

I don't doubt they could handle it, but you don't want your offensive catalysts held together with tape, if you don't have to.

That's often the case, but there are exceptions like guys like Stone, Toews, Bergeron, Marchand, even Horvat to a lesser degree. I personally love it when offensive stars are valuable on the PK too. You're right though in that it does cause minutes to climb very high for some of these guys.

On 2/9/2021 at 12:31 PM, BCNate said:

I'd swap Miller and Hoglander for a few games and see what happens.  

Yup I agree. Only tweak I would do though is put Boeser on the left circle (where Miller currently is) and have Hogs down low on the red line where Boeser currently is. The PP is too predictable with them circling the puck to open up Hughes and EP, we need a right hand shot on the left circle. Hogs I would think is capable of playing downlow being able to retrieve pucks when they go around the corner and is a good enough passer to set up Boeser and Horvat at the bumper