The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nils Hoglander | #21 | LW

ItalianCanuck1

50 minutes ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

Sami is my favourite. B)

Mad respect for anyone who can come back from blown up family jewels.

Kidding aside, Sami was also one of my favorites.  He was as good as he was, in spite of all the injuries he had.  I can only imagine what sort of player and career he would have had if injuries didn't derail him.  He had the size, speed, and skills to be one of the best. 

10 minutes ago, bigbadcanucks said:

Mad respect for anyone who can come back from blown up family jewels.

Kidding aside, Sami was also one of my favorites.  He was as good as he was, in spite of all the injuries he had.  I can only imagine what sort of player and career he would have had if injuries didn't derail him.  He had the size, speed, and skills to be one of the best. 

Wicked smaht too. One of the most underrated Canucks ever.

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

Wicked smaht too. One of the most underrated Canucks ever.

I knew I forgot one of the "s".  Smart...probably the best point shot in Canucks history as well.  So that's 5-s's: Smart, Size, Speed, Skills, Boomer Shot. Appropriate that Sami Salo's initials are "SS".

I’m not huge jersey guy, but I’m thinking about getting myself one with Hoglander on the back. Truly one of the highlights of a tough season this kid has been. With Podkolzin coming next year we are going to have two young, talented players with motors that DO NOT STOP.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Locke Lamora said:

I’m not huge jersey guy, but I’m thinking about getting myself one with Hoglander on the back. Truly one of the highlights of a tough season this kid has been. With Podkolzin coming next year we are going to have two young, talented players with motors that DO NOT STOP.

A tenacious work ethic in our young players is so important. Hard work can beat talent.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

On 5/15/2021 at 6:49 AM, Boudrias said:

What Gillis didn't do is draft a notable player in later rounds. Benning on the otherhand has. Best examples right now appear to be Hoglander and Rathbone. Both have the potential of top line and top d pairing. 

Rathbone has played 3 games for us, and no, he is not ever going to be a top pairing dman.  :picard:

Edited by EddieVedder

14 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I love how he hasn’t tried anything too fancy here yet. To me that shows intelligence.

He’s clearly focused on winning the trust of the coach first. Plus he’s aware that those kind of goals are much harder to score in the NHL.

Shows hes cocky but not too cocky.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1

Hoglander just has a "knack" for positioning himself well.  He's the most consistent player on the forecheck at disrupting the opposition and stealing pucks by far.  His work ethic is amazing yes, but he often seems to know where to place his stick to block an outlet pass or just disrupt the puck carrier's ability to move the puck.

I'm not sure if Hoglander will become a top point producer in the NHL, but he has tremendous skills and instincts which bode well for his future.  He's the kind of player that can probably play anywhere in the line-up and with pretty much anyone just because he does many useful things well. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1