The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nils Hoglander | #21 | LW

ItalianCanuck1

6 hours ago, Wedge-tailed Eagle said:

Style wise Höglander seems like a mix of Gallagher and Barzal to me.  He has Gallagher's feistiness and push back, as well as that elusive water-bug quality of Barzal.

Victor Arvidsson from Nashville is the guy he models his game after. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

On 6/30/2019 at 3:27 PM, theo5789 said:

Best hands in the draft doesn't mean much though. Wasn't Rob Schremp pretty deft with his hands too? There's a whole lot that needs to come together to make a player. Not doubting Hoglander, but I'd like to see how he performs this year in the SHL and hopefully have a bit of a closer look at the WJC if he's there.

I agree, I am pumped about this guy but I think his hockey sense and IQ will determine how he fares in the nhl.  Small guys have to think a couple of steps ahead.  It seems like he has all the tools but how good is the tool box?

• Cheers 1

Hoglander is much more than hands. Hands won't get you far if you only have hands. Hoglander is so good at maneuvering himself on the ice and is able to get into advantageous situations where is skill and speed shine.

• Upvote 2

I didnt know much about Hoglander before the draft.  After doing some reading and watching, man am I impressed.  Now I know why Brackett and JB were so stoked to be able to draft him.

I really wanted to pick up Newhook, but I see a very similar player in Hoglander.  Quick, skilled and even more impressive is his dedication to off ice fitness.  

I 100% see TG loving this kid, his linemates too.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

It is interesting how some are saying he is NHL ready. I wonder, if he performs very well at camp, if he actually has a shot at getting on the roster.

In another thread someone said that there will be room for one younger player to force their way onto the big team.  Most are saying it could be MacEwen but I wonder if Hogs can take a run at it.

I suppose unless he does exceptionally well, that spot would probably go to an older and bigger guy like Big Mac.

On 6/22/2019 at 11:13 AM, GoldenAlien said:

Ranked #18 by the Athletic, #19 by Elite Prospects, #23 by HockeyProspect.com, #29 by Future Considerations, #35 by TSN/ McKenzie, #41 by McKeen's Hockey.

“Höglander has the best hands in the draft. When he has the puck on his stick, he’s trying to make a skilled play. His puck handling is lightning quick and he often leaves defenders in a knot with how he dangles while in stride. He’s not a selfish dangler, though, as he’s a great passer and looks for his teammates constantly. He’s not a typical playmaker you see run a power play and hang around the half-wall hitting seam passes. He’s always in motion and makes creative feeds. Höglander isn’t the biggest forward at 5-foot-9, but he plays with a lot of energy and engages well. He’s got a bit of an edge to his game, too. He’s a decent skater, more elusive than a burner with very good edges, but he can turn a corner when he needs to.”  -- Corey Pronman.

Aggressive winger with a nonstop motor and the ability to play much bigger than his measurements may indicate. Hoglander has played against adult competition in each of the last two seasons, and his dominance at the summer under-20 Four Nations tournament in August earned him a well-deserved berth on Rogle’s opening-night roster. He certainly didn’t make them regret the decision, as he was an everyday player who contributed in all areas of the rink. He plays the game at a feverish pace no matter the score or how much time is left, and his compete level is exactly what you want in a skill forward who is summoned to tackle key situations. Hoglander isn’t big, but he is fearless in the corners and immediately bounces back from hefty wallops from older, larger opponents. Without the puck, he’s an aggressive forechecker with an active stick who will finish his checks and force turnovers or rushed passes with regularity.

Hoglander is a very good skater with first-step quickness who can accelerate to top speed in an instant. He controls his pace extremely well, and his quick feet and agility allow him to make sharp moves through the neutral zone. Hoglander is a capable stickhandler who weaves his way through a dense network of sticks and bodies, and his cutbacks lure opponents away from coverage before he exploits openings with hard, crisp passes on the tape. He can play the game either inside or out, and he’s a low-maintenance shooter thanks to a quick release and his ability to get shots on net while blanketed. Hoglander has excellent vision, and his decisions with the puck seem to always make sense. -- Steve Kournianos

February 2019 – After spending most of the past two seasons in the Allsvenskan, Höglander has made the jump to the top level for his draft season. Even though Rögle is one of the worst teams in the SHL and Höglander’s minutes have been limited, he’s managed to put up good numbers considering his age. Höglander is a very talented skater with speed that allows him to get breakaway opportunities quite frequently. He has quick and soft hands which allow him to make highlight reel type plays. He’s also a quick thinker who likes to use all those qualities and play a fast-paced game. On top of those qualities, Höglander works really hard and is defensively responsibly as well. And even though he’s undersized at just 5-foot-9, he’s fearless on the ice. He likes to get his nose dirty in front of the net, and he loves to throw big open ice hits. Höglander has top-six upside but even if his offensive upside doesn’t fully materialize, he can still become a great third-liner. He will likely require another year of development before challenging for a spot on an NHL roster. -- Jokke Nevalainen

I am excited to see how Hogs does at training camp. Just re reading all the info on him again lol.

Gonna be a long two months.....

• Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

I assumed he was but good question. SHL started its season last year Sept 5th so I guess he may not be. 

Got my hopes up there bud lol!  Yah I don't think he will... BUT if he does... I live close to Vic, so I know I'll be seeing him in person if he does.

Edited by Hogs & Podz
  • Cheers 1

I don't know if anybody has talked about this previously or if I may be wrong on this subject, but according to EliteProspects, Holgander  and Pettersson were part of the same J18 Timra team during the 2015-2016 season. Now EP only played 2 games there,and I'm not even sure if they played those games together but if they did, that's a really cool story, and good to know that they know each other even just a little bit. 

On 6/29/2019 at 4:51 PM, Hutton Wink said:

Thing is, not only is he not even that small (and considering his age, he's about Stecher's size right now), but he plays a feisty and physical game, not on the perimeter.  Good skater and vision, and elusive with fast hands like Gaudreau but at 20lbs heavier and has a better shot.

Just out of curiosity, why did he drop out of 1st round if he is skilled like Gaudreau and stronger?