The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nils Hoglander | #21 | LW

ItalianCanuck1

21 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Firstly I never blamed him for deliberately wanting hurting the guy. I have stated that I don't think Hoglander is a dirty player but it was a dirty play. My entire argument is against people think that it's okay to take cheap shots if it sends a message not to be messed with. That's it's okay to use cheap shots to protect yourself. The basis of my argument isn't even solely about Hog but rather people encouraging cheap plays. 

He can play feisty without being dirty. That hit on Brock is dirty was well. Both I don't like. Look at the way Pettersson protected himself. Like no need to swing bows. If you're fed up taking abuse there's a lot more ways of dishing it out rather than cheap plays. These same people would throw there hands in the air if something like this happens to one of our players but when it's one of our players doing it it's completely justified. That sort of double standard is classless.

I am not naive because the point your making isn't the point I am arguing against. I never argued that guys aren't fed up taking abuse. I stated that there are ways to express that without crossing that line.

I was a center and a goalie FYI. I have a scar on my chin from my elbow and have been run in while in net. I have repeatedly stated my own sense on justice and protecting yourself and sending a message. None of it involves cheap shots dirty plays like people here are preaching.

I have NEVER stated that there should be less physical contact but instead less deliberate cheap shots. I don't know where people keep getting that idea. 

I don't think that you're on the same page as the other preaching that we need players that run dudes and it's only not okay when it's against our players. That's essentially who I am arguing against.

I don't think throwing an elbow is running dudes and I never wined about it happening to a Canucks if I did with the way the NHL is reffed that would be ever second game. I would have a Pronger on my team and they don't get much dirtier.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Nils Hoglander has been suspended for five games.

I honestly think that it's the right call. Of course it looks as though Hoglander wasn't hurting the other player intentionally, but he's gotta have better awareness when making power moves like that. I'm disappointed but I'm not worried about his season whatsoever. He'll learn from it and move on.

• Upvote 2

On 10/3/2019 at 10:46 AM, ForzaTikare said:

Was just going here to post this, thats a real headshot.. Prolly gonna be suspended for about 3-5 games + fine

That's a dirty play no doubt.......I'm all for being prepared for contact, you should, but that's over the line.  Doesn't make me like him any less however and it's nice to see he has some bite.

On a related note......5 games?  He should have come to Utica instead.

11 hours ago, Cup2022 said:

I don't think throwing an elbow is running dudes and I never wined about it happening to a Canucks if I did with the way the NHL is reffed that would be ever second game. I would have a Pronger on my team and they don't get much dirtier.

I am an advocate for fighting in the game because what I hate most are cheep shots.  Raffi Torres kinda smeared 2011 for me.

1 hour ago, stawns said:

That's a dirty play no doubt.......I'm all for being prepared for contact, you should, but that's over the line.  Doesn't make me like him any less however and it's nice to see he has some bite.

On a related note......5 games?  He should have come to Utica instead.

7 games total, 2 converted to a fine so Will be out for 5 games, i think he would learn allt playing harder in utica than in SHL (and im normally against players leaving sweden too fast).. He got The hard nosedness to play in The rough parts that Dahlen doesnt really have and they play a similar typ eof hockey (dahlen might have The better skating and shot at the moment though) 

Edited by ForzaTikare
  • Upvote 2

Definitely suspension worthy. Protecting yourself is one thing, remember when Marchand used the defending himself excuse when he submarined Salo? Dirty play. Hope he learns from this. Still like the kid. But we have to hold our players to the same standards we hold other players. If someone did that to Hoglander y’all defending this would be furious.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Definitely suspension worthy. Protecting yourself is one thing, remember when Marchand used the defending himself excuse when he submarined Salo? Dirty play. Hope he learns from this. Still like the kid. But we have to hold our players to the same standards we hold other players. If someone did that to Hoglander y’all defending this would be furious.

I was just thinking of the same play. Players have the right to defend themselves, but like the Marchand incident with Salo this was over the line and definitely into dirty territory. I'm sure the intent with Hoglander wasn't dirty, but the play itself ended up being dirty.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, VIC_CITY said:

Sure it was dirty but honestly, good for him (and us). The kid can stand up for himself. Back in the day, you'd got a cross check in the teeth if you took a run at the wrong player. All of a sudden they aren't running you anymore. Funny how that works... Not to say that's where the game should be going, but I have no problem with an offensive player standing up for himself. We're not talking about a Brian Marchment or Scott Stevens here.

He's not a very big kid, but he sure doesn't play small or soft. Doesn't look like he is going to get bullied too much.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

43 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

He's not a very big kid, but he sure doesn't play small or soft. Doesn't look like he is going to get bullied too much.

Yup.  Play dirty and mean.  That’s winning hockey.  We are currently playing way too soft.  Don’t friggin’ worry about taking a penalty.  Bloody injure the bastards.  It’s Marky’s Job to stop the friigin’ puck, and keep us close. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, WeneedLumme said:

He's not tall, but already 190lbs at 18yrs.  That's pretty beefy for a 5'9" teenager.  Don't think he'll be taking any bullying either.

• Cheers 1

On 10/6/2019 at 6:23 PM, Jester13 said:

Petey can teach him how to throw a clean reverse hit - he's using it more and more, and he's only going to get bigger and stronger. 

I don’t think we want to do that.  Petey threw the reverse hit, got his leg locked up and has never been the same since.

Wild Hogs got some tusks.  This wasn't intended to injure.  Hugs did get the elbow up and 5 games seem high, but it's a euro league.  

This is the type of hit that other players take notice of.  Guys will be more wary heading into the corner with him.  

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

On 10/3/2019 at 6:24 PM, Junkyard Dog said:

I've played hockey and basketball growing up. Did I say that? What's your agruement? Are you trying to insult me lol?

No cowards elbow people or hit them from behind and are not willing to face the music after. Cowards are people who have to take cheap shots in order to "send a message" and are too pussy get in the face of anyone when they have a problem with them.

Was what Matheson did not cowardly? Was what Keith did not cowardly? What about Tierney? Is it only when Canucks players do it it's not cowardly?

Edit: This isn't 70s or 80s It's a way new generation now. Why do you think the NHL just paid over a hundred people in the concussion settlement. It was the wild west back then and they are paying the price for it now.

There is not a more sure sign of being a coward than calling someone else cowardly.

Even the Sedins did not call anyone else a coward (and they stood their ground and bravely stood up for their principles)(which did not help us win The Cup).

Cowardly?  Classless?  WTF?  And you say you played the game?  It was an elbow, plain and simple, get over it, happens all the time.

And, we do want tough, stand up for themselves, players with talent like Bure and now, Hoglander; yes please.

• Upvote 4