The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nils Hoglander | #21 | LW

ItalianCanuck1

25 minutes ago, Steven Stamkos said:

I wonder what all you guys said when Keith elbowed Daniel in the face and got 5 games in 2012. Lets all just take the rose coloured glasses for like 2.5 seconds and realize it was a dirty hit :picard:.

It was a dirty play.  Keith's hit was dirty too.  We need our players to be more dirty.    

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, Steven Stamkos said:

I wonder what all you guys said when Keith elbowed Daniel in the face and got 5 games in 2012. Lets all just take the rose coloured glasses for like 2.5 seconds and realize it was a dirty hit :picard:.

So what?

Dirty hits happen all the time.

BTW, Keith's elbow to Danny was a hell of a lot more than a dirty hit!

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

So what?

Dirty hits happen all the time.

BTW, Keith's elbow to Danny was a hell of a lot more than a dirty hit!

Lol other than it being in the neutral zone, it’s the same play. 

32 minutes ago, Alflives said:

It was a dirty play.  Keith's hit was dirty too.  We need our players to be more dirty.    

Yup your right. We need our scoring players sitting in the press box for 5 games. That’ll show the league. We need our players to play tougher not throw chicken s*** elbows. People get back at dirty plays they don’t just all of a sudden cower to a 5’ something guy because he threw one garbage elbow. 

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Steven Stamkos said:

Yup your right. We need our scoring players sitting in the press box for 5 games. That’ll show the league. We need our players to play tougher not throw chicken s*** elbows. People get back at dirty plays they don’t just all of a sudden cower to a 5’ something guy because he threw one garbage elbow. 

Maybe our top guys need to take a suspension here or there, by clocking an opponent?  It would open up more ice for them.  It's a rough game.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Steven Stamkos said:

But what if Daniel laid the hit on Keith instead.......

I would have been proud of Daniel......

• Upvote 2

This thread was better when we were discussing guitar.

2 hours ago, Steven Stamkos said:

I remember saying 'I can't wait until we draft someone 7 years from now and they do the same thing in a different league, that'll show Keith what's up.':bigblush: 

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Steven Stamkos said:

Oh boo hoo. If you "don't feel safe in here" go find a safe place. Away from all the thuggery in the NHL.

Me....I prefer to watch Canuck players start playing tougher and elbowing guys in the head like Hogs did. We need more of those and less "turn the other cheek" types imo.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Oh boo hoo. If you "don't feel safe in here" go find a safe place. Away from all the thuggery in the NHL.

Me....I prefer to watch Canuck players start playing tougher and elbowing guys in the head like Hogs did. We need more of those and less "turn the other cheek" types imo.

As long as you don’t say a word and complain if Pettersson is lying on the ice out cold from a similar play then we good.

I’m not sure if you watched or paid attention in the last 10 to 15 years though. Just to update you, about 300  players filed lawsuits against the NHL over misinformed information on headshot thus the NHL severely cracked down on headshots. Some other things because you missed in the last decade or so; they got rid of the two line pass, they made a hybrid icing rule and Winnipeg got their team back (they moved to Arizona if you also forgot that)

Just now, Steven Stamkos said:

As long as you don’t say a word and complain if Pettersson is lying on the ice out cold from a similar play then we good.

I’m not sure if you watched or paid attention in the last 10 to 15 years though. Just to update you, about 300  players filed lawsuits against the NHL over misinformed information on headshot thus the NHL severely cracked down on headshots. Some other things because you missed in the last decade or so; they got rid of the two line pass, they made a hybrid icing rule and Winnipeg got their team back (they moved to Arizona if you also forgot that)

I could not care LESS about people filing lawsuits. Lawyers are a bunch of scum bags just out for money and they don't care less what case they take. This whole weak arse millenial generation is pathetic....."I don't fell safe" ...."I need a sick day cuz my dog is depressed".....whatever!!

If Petey gets elbowed I hope Ferland breaks the other guys back or someone sucker punches the goof like Bertuzzi did. 

And by the way....I have watched every year of the NHL for decades so there is that champ.  :picard:

1 minute ago, Kanukfanatic said:

I could not care LESS about people filing lawsuits. Lawyers are a bunch of scum bags just out for money and they don't care less what case they take. This whole weak arse millenial generation is pathetic....."I don't fell safe" ...."I need a sick day cuz my dog is depressed".....whatever!!

If Petey gets elbowed I hope Ferland breaks the other guys back or someone sucker punches the goof like Bertuzzi did. 

And by the way....I have watched every year of the NHL for decades so there is that champ.  :picard:

Oh so you’re just one of those old boys who can’t get with the times. You didn’t have to write 3 paragraphs to explain that. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

This from Yahoo Sports:

We may never know what was going through the mind of Nils Höglander when the Rogle BK Angelholm second-year forward picked up a puck in the corner of Lulea HF’s offensive zone during Swedish Hockey League regular season action on Thursday.

However, we know the result of his actions and it wasn’t pretty.

Following a couple of strides with the puck, Höglander turned his back to the net as Lulea HF defenceman Fredrik Styrman began to close in on him. It appeared that Höglander was attempting to maintain possession by shielding the puck until a teammate became available for him. Then, with Styrman right behind him, the 18-year-old violently threw his elbow back at the veteran blueliner.

Höglander, a 2019 second-round pick of the Vancouver Canucks, hit Styrman directly in the head, causing the 28-year-old to immediately plummet to the ice. The entire sequence happened so quickly that it took the crowd a few moments to react to what they just saw.

With the score knotted at zero and just over seven minutes remaining in the game’s first period, Styrman laid motionless on the ice while his team’s medical staff quickly scrambled to his side. He was eventually able to get back onto his skates but required assistance to get off of the playing surface.

According to the contest’s match summary, Höglander received a five-minute major and game misconduct on the play. No supplemental discipline for Höglander nor an update on Styrman’s condition have been officially announced at this time.

Rogle BK Angelholm went on to win the game 3-2 in overtime.

I do not know how to embed the videos, or even if that is the correct terminology, but this article (imo) is a bit slanted against Hoglander, and maybe that is Sweden vs Canada attitude towards this type of thing; another thing I do not know.

From the video I watched, it didn't look that vicious, not Pronger vicious of course, but more like he was trying to fend off Styrman, Styrman bent over a bit and caught the Gordie Howe right on the button.

Styrman seemed unable (or unaccustomed) to dealing with an elbow to the head and collapsed (imo quicker than in Canadian hockey).

So Hoglander is deserving of his punishment in the Swedish hockey system (and perhaps in Canada too).

But to me, and I assume many Canucks fans, Hoglander is looking better and better as a Canucks prospect.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:
This from Yahoo Sports:

We may never know what was going through the mind of Nils Höglander when the Rogle BK Angelholm second-year forward picked up a puck in the corner of Lulea HF’s offensive zone during Swedish Hockey League regular season action on Thursday.

However, we know the result of his actions and it wasn’t pretty.

Following a couple of strides with the puck, Höglander turned his back to the net as Lulea HF defenceman Fredrik Styrman began to close in on him. It appeared that Höglander was attempting to maintain possession by shielding the puck until a teammate became available for him. Then, with Styrman right behind him, the 18-year-old violently threw his elbow back at the veteran blueliner.

Höglander, a 2019 second-round pick of the Vancouver Canucks, hit Styrman directly in the head, causing the 28-year-old to immediately plummet to the ice. The entire sequence happened so quickly that it took the crowd a few moments to react to what they just saw.

With the score knotted at zero and just over seven minutes remaining in the game’s first period, Styrman laid motionless on the ice while his team’s medical staff quickly scrambled to his side. He was eventually able to get back onto his skates but required assistance to get off of the playing surface.

According to the contest’s match summary, Höglander received a five-minute major and game misconduct on the play. No supplemental discipline for Höglander nor an update on Styrman’s condition have been officially announced at this time.

Rogle BK Angelholm went on to win the game 3-2 in overtime.

I do not know how to embed the videos, or even if that is the correct terminology, but this article (imo) is a bit slanted against Hoglander, and maybe that is Sweden vs Canada attitude towards this type of thing; another thing I do not know.

From the video I watched, it didn't look that vicious, not Pronger vicious of course, but more like he was trying to fend off Styrman, Styrman bent over a bit and caught the Gordie Howe right on the button.

Styrman seemed unable (or unaccustomed) to dealing with an elbow to the head and collapsed (imo quicker than in Canadian hockey).

So Hoglander is deserving of his punishment in the Swedish hockey system (and perhaps in Canada too).

But to me, and I assume many Canucks fans, Hoglander is looking better and better as a Canucks prospect.

The ghost of Pavel Bure is alive and well.

EDIT: I see that this Hoglander "incident" is at least a few days old...and I see that HockeyHarry already made reference to Pavel Bure, and went as far as posting the epic Bure elbow on Churla.  I need to up my game here on CDC.

Edited by bigbadcanucks
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Steven Stamkos said:

Oh so you’re just one of those old boys who can’t get with the times. You didn’t have to write 3 paragraphs to explain that. 

I have watched the NHL for 60 years and played most of my life.  The violence in the NHL is no less, it is just different.  If you were a cheap shot artist in earlier times, you got trimmed.  Now you get away with it.  I see so many guys hitting other players in the head with the elbow as they skate past them - like the last elbow on Baertschi - and they get away with it.  The league does nothing and the players do nothing. So weasels get to be nasty and cowardly and are rewarded for it - the coaches pat them on the back for taking out the talent on the other team by any means and guys ending up ending their career and spending the rest of their lives dealing with concussion symptoms.  I don't see that as improvement.  It is exactly like not investigating, arresting, or charging people for property crimes any more and then not reporting it and pretending that the crime rate has gone down.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Goal:thecup said:

There is not a more sure sign of being a coward than calling someone else cowardly.

Even the Sedins did not call anyone else a coward (and they stood their ground and bravely stood up for their principles)(which did not help us win The Cup).

Cowardly?  Classless?  WTF?  And you say you played the game?  It was an elbow, plain and simple, get over it, happens all the time.

And, we do want tough, stand up for themselves, players with talent like Bure and now, Hoglander; yes please.

How so? How does calling someone a coward makes you a coward? What sort of logic is that? 

You can have principles and stand up for yourself without these sort of actions can you not? People acting like the only option to send a message are with checks to the head and hits from behind. 

I've stated numerous times, time and time again, I don't think Hog is a dirty player but it was a dirty play. My point isn't directly about the elbow but the fact that some people here encourage dirty plays. How does that help the team when you get a major penalty and/or a suspension? When teams are gonna come at us more so because dirty plays? 

I've played the game enough to know that I people who do that kind of $&!# are gonna pay the price. People say it'll make people think, no that $&!# even more of a target on your back. Better be willing to answer the bell or be a coward. If Hog pulled that $&!# the NHL players would be always looking for payback. They always do so with Marchand who always is a target despite his antics.

We can have players standing up for themselves without $&!# plays. Can we not? Can we come to an agreement on that?

13 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

How so? How does calling someone a coward makes you a coward? What sort of logic is that? 

You can have principles and stand up for yourself without these sort of actions can you not? People acting like the only option to send a message are with checks to the head and hits from behind. 

I've stated numerous times, time and time again, I don't think Hog is a dirty player but it was a dirty play. My point isn't directly about the elbow but the fact that some people here encourage dirty plays. How does that help the team when you get a major penalty and/or a suspension? When teams are gonna come at us more so because dirty plays? 

I've played the game enough to know that I people who do that kind of $&!# are gonna pay the price. People say it'll make people think, no that $&!# even more of a target on your back. Better be willing to answer the bell or be a coward. If Hog pulled that $&!# the NHL players would be always looking for payback. They always do so with Marchand who always is a target despite his antics.

We can have players standing up for themselves without $&!# plays. Can we not? Can we come to an agreement on that?

No.  We want mean players who

will play dirty and cheat to win.  We need a Cup.  I’d pay for the roids if it made us winners.  Just imagine Petey on roids!  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Wat 2
  • Upvote 1