The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nils Hoglander | #21 | LW

ItalianCanuck1

4 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Shouldn't matter the condition of Styrman as the elbow was there. Hoglander has the responsibility to not throw the elbow out like that (except that maybe he saw it happen earlier). EP threw a similar hit in preseason, but no elbows out.

Well, for those trying to portray the incident as vicious and worthy of supplemental discipline etc., the condition of the "injured" could be relevant and it might mitigate the amount of flak Hoglander received and is receiving.

To me, it was just an elbow, but to Styrman it must have caught him in such a way that he felt he had to fall to the ice.

Usually, if you get him in the nose, there's lots of blood but there was no blood that I saw.

Maybe he caught him on the chin and twisted his neck; I know this works in martial arts.

Whatever, he went down, but what kept him down? 

What was and what is his actual medical condition?

Has he missed any games?  Was he concussed?

Why is there no follow-up?  Can it be that the elbow was not that bad?

Can it be that he might have stayed down to increase the man advantage to his team?

I'm not saying he did, but wasn't he up walking with help after?

I'm not querying the SHL system of discipline and players' safety.

I am saying that, to me, it didn't look that bad.

Perhaps he was not seriously injured.

Perhaps the guy played the next game or practised with the team the next morning.

I/we don't know.  If we knew, we might be able to make a better argument for the seriousness of the incident.

For now, and until we get some kind of update, I remain of the opinion that it wasn't even worth the suspension.

2 minutes for elbowing, raised to a 5 minute major at most, if in fact Styrman was actually injured, but no suspension.

And if he wasn't injured, and is milking it, Styrman should be the player suspended.

2 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

Well, for those trying to portray the incident as vicious and worthy of supplemental discipline etc., the condition of the "injured" could be relevant and it might mitigate the amount of flak Hoglander received and is receiving.

To me, it was just an elbow, but to Styrman it must have caught him in such a way that he felt he had to fall to the ice.

Usually, if you get him in the nose, there's lots of blood but there was no blood that I saw.

Maybe he caught him on the chin and twisted his neck; I know this works in martial arts.

Whatever, he went down, but what kept him down? 

What was and what is his actual medical condition?

Has he missed any games?  Was he concussed?

Why is there no follow-up?  Can it be that the elbow was not that bad?

Can it be that he might have stayed down to increase the man advantage to his team?

I'm not saying he did, but wasn't he up walking with help after?

I'm not querying the SHL system of discipline and players' safety.

I am saying that, to me, it didn't look that bad.

Perhaps he was not seriously injured.

Perhaps the guy played the next game or practised with the team the next morning.

I/we don't know.  If we knew, we might be able to make a better argument for the seriousness of the incident.

For now, and until we get some kind of update, I remain of the opinion that it wasn't even worth the suspension.

2 minutes for elbowing, raised to a 5 minute major at most, if in fact Styrman was actually injured, but no suspension.

And if he wasn't injured, and is milking it, Styrman should be the player suspended.

And my stance was mainly that I felt the incident was potentially premeditated due to the hit happening earlier. But like I've said from the start, I doubt Hoglander wanted to injure, but simply to give them a taste of their own medicine that turned out worse than intended.

Whether the punishment fit the crime is another story (one which I'm not arguing for or against). We have seen suspensions for weak plays and no suspensions for worse plays. You can throw the reverse hit without the elbow up though. 

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, 112 said:

when is he back?

Found a schedule:

He elbowed Styrman Oct 5.

Serves 5 game suspension.

First game back Oct 24 (Next Thursday)

Also found the following regarding Styrman's injuries and condition:

Posted by

11 days ago

Nils Höglander suspended 5 games

renderTimingPixel.png

I already posted the hit yesterday, but I figured that some people might want to know what happened after as well.

Höglander gets a five game suspension and Fredrik Styrman (the player that got elbowed in the head) has a concussion and an injured knee.

• Thanks 1

I was wrong; that was a pretty nasty elbow.

I am still glad it is our boy doing the damage and not the one receiving the damage though.

Definitely suspension-worthy and I hope Styrman has a speedy and full recovery.

I hope Hoglander didn't intentionally fold that knee over too. 

I don't know if this will work, but if not, it is in the post above and gives good views of the infration(s).

what happened 

9 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

No intent to injure? He did a overhead elbow to the face. He had to aim up to accomplish that. Lol.

Protecting himself from what? A poke check? Or his own bad positioning? He’s only in a vulnerable position cause HE put himself there. If somebody does that to Horvat or Miller I bet you’d be all over CDC crying about it and not saying “well it’s a learning experience for glass jaw Horvat”.

I didn't mind the elbow at all.  Kinda liked it.  

:towel:

• 2 weeks later...
34 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

That was incredible. He likes that bank off the back of the net to himself and he does that a lot, but he scooped up that puck sooooo quickly while avoiding the defenders stick and tucked it in. Wild.

This kid just might end up in the top 20 in the re-drafts years from now.  Great skills and aggressive game.  Love it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

This kid just might end up in the top 20 in the re-drafts years from now.  Great skills and aggressive game.  Love it.

yeah it could be. I can see why he went 2nd round with teams picking by need late in the 1st round but this is working out nicely for us. Podz might go higher too in the 20/20 redraft polls. 

Still blown away that teams passed on Hughes tho, that was big mistake by Detroit. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

WOW what a goal! Probably one the best lacrosse goals I've seen because of the way he banked the puck off the net and avoided the poke check as he lifted it up on his stick!

This isn't a goal where he has time and space to make his move, he's under pressure and also still quite young in a mens league. Love the hog! 

1 hour ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

That was incredible. He likes that bank off the back of the net to himself and he does that a lot, but he scooped up that puck sooooo quickly while avoiding the defenders stick and tucked it in. Wild.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

"Pretty much every hockey player can score that goal and he'll get smashed in the mouth if he ever attempted that in the NHL, he's undersized and I am not sold on him."

Not my thoughts but I read that online, care for a rebuttal? 

• Haha 3