The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nils Hoglander | #21 | LW

ItalianCanuck1

14 minutes ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

The Canucks ARE NOT trading a 22 year old point per game natural goal scorer.

No... In fact Benning wants another scoring winger, so you're all high

Stop

Bashing

Brock

Not anytime soon, I agree.  But, if Hog hits, Podz hits and JV settles into a 50-60 point guy I absolutely think BB is gone in a cpl seasons.

3 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

Some have been undervaluing Boes for awhile now...but he's so much more than just his shot/snipe.  He's been very engaged lately..physical, battling on the boards, etc.  I'm quite happy with him here and feel that it's important to Petey to keep him here.

Definately better this season. Last season he was a bit passive. Nagged by injuries maybe. 

But both him and Miller doesn't involve Petey as much as they could. Much too few quick passes around them. 

Hoglander was a top 15, maybe even top 10 athlete in the draft. Athlete, not necessarily hockey player. But did have the underlying hockey skills.  These were masked a bit because he was playing against older SHL competition. It hid results under the surface. That, and him being under 6' lead to him not being drafted higher. A good scouts find!

He would have destroyed younger competition! He's like picking Jake to me, except in the 2knd round. Which is a steal versus a risk. He has explosive speed & agility, is wickedly strong for his size. The agility will make him more dangerous than Jake. As will his hand / eye, that he has the ability to handle the puck. Not on Pettersson's level of passing or shooting. Or hockey sense. Pearson with world class speed & edges. And he battles. I see Arvidsson potential, even more engaged?

He is going to be a treat to watch!

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

4 hours ago, stawns said:

At this point Virt, Hog and Podz might make Boes expendable.  They'd get a heckuva return for BB

29 minutes ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

The Canucks ARE NOT trading a 22 year old point per game natural goal scorer.

No... In fact Benning wants another scoring winger, so you're all high

Stop

Bashing

Brock

He's not expendable unless they do hit. If they do hit in the future, then yes it does make sense to use an area of strength to improve an area of need!

• Cheers 1

CDC was so all over Lind when he was drafted. Based on JB's caught on microphone comments. 

Lind will have a very hard time staying above Hoglander on the depth chart. Some extra size & hockey sense, but not the athlete. Hoglander, like Jake is a player the coach can deploy, and teams physically will have a hard time playing against. Too much strength and agility to be stopped.

1 hour ago, stawns said:

Not anytime soon, I agree.  But, if Hog hits, Podz hits and JV settles into a 50-60 point guy I absolutely think BB is gone in a cpl seasons.

I don't agree with this.Two years from now;

Hoglander Pettersson Boeser               * Hoglander adds world class speed & puck pursuit, can keep up with hockey more than Jake

Jake Horvat Podkolzin                      ** these guys all play the same way. And it will be a brutal line to play against.

Miller Gaudette Lind

Motte Beagle Madden

Boeser has 50 goal upside, can handle the puck in traffic. What his line with Petey needs is speed, which it will have with Hoglander. In good times Podz, Jake & Hoglander are 20 & 25 goal guys that are hard to play against. Not guys that can handle the puck & make plays with a 6'5'' defender hanging on them. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Canuck Surfer said:

Hoglander Pettersson Boeser               * Hoglander adds world class speed & puck pursuit, can keep up with hockey more than Jake

Jake Horvat Podkolzin                      ** these guys all play the same way. And it will be a brutal line to play against.

Miller Gaudette Lind

Motte Beagle Madden

Boeser has 50 goal upside, can handle the puck in traffic. What his line with Petey needs is speed, which it will have with Hoglander. In good times Podz, Jake & Hoglander are 20 & 25 goal guys that are hard to play against. Not guys that can handle the puck & make plays with a 6'5'' defender hanging on them. 

does anyone really, truly believe this?  If you're honest with yourself?  I think he settles in around 28-35 goals per year, he's on pace for the low end of that range this season.  

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

does anyone really, truly believe this?  If you're honest with yourself?  I think he settles in around 28-35 goals per year, he's on pace for the low end of that range this season.  

He scored at a 38/39 goal rate as a rookie. Is nearly a point a game so far this year.  He is a top line forward on most NHL teams. Imagine him taking passes from Backstrom or Kuznetsov? From Malkin...

Jebus, Boeser was scoring at a 39 goal rate as a rookie! Because he had PP time with the Twins. As much as I love Petey! He has to develop before he can get max potential out of his wingers? Not a twin yet! Elias alone developing as a play maker should have guys drooling over Boeser's potential. Who is already easily our 2knd best (forward, Hughes trumps overall) puck handler and shooter. Think what we will do when Pettersson, who will be IMO but is not yet, is better than say Backstrom?

Then we add Hoglanders speed, Juolevi's outlet & PP passing, Podkolzins puck drive & thievery which see's us with the puck. And Hughes cranking up ice with Juolevi's breakout passes?  There are several more gears to come from our offence.  Then we add Boeser himself developing. He has stepped back, as he has learned to be a guy handling the puck. At which CDC see's foul, I see a guy improving & taking it on.

50 is not guaranteed by any stretch. Yes I believe it in his potential!

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Miller Gaudette Lind

Motte Beagle Madden

You Sir....are correct...

6 hours ago, stawns said:

At this point Virt, Hog and Podz might make Boes expendable.  They'd get a heckuva return for BB

We have a guy who is the 5th highest scoring RW in the nhl.  We have some strong prospects.  We are trying to build our scoring depth.  So we start talking about trading the best RW we have by far who is 23 and just coming into his prime?  CDC makes no sense at times

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

55 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

He scored at a 38/39 goal rate as a rookie. Is nearly a point a game so far this year.  He is a top line forward on most NHL teams. Imagine him taking passes from Backstrom or Kuznetsov? From Malkin...

Jebus, Boeser was scoring at a 39 goal rate as a rookie! Because he had PP time with the Twins. As much as I love Petey! He has to develop before he can get max potential out of his wingers? Not a twin yet! Elias alone developing as a play maker should have guys drooling over Boeser's potential. Who is already easily our 2knd best (forward, Hughes trumps overall) puck handler and shooter. Think what we will do when Pettersson, who will be IMO but is not yet, is better than say Backstrom?

Then we add Hoglanders speed, Juolevi's outlet & PP passing, Podkolzins puck drive & thievery which see's us with the puck. And Hughes cranking up ice with Juolevi's breakout passes?  There are several more gears to come from our offence.  Then we add Boeser himself developing. He has stepped back, as he has learned to be a guy handling the puck. At which CDC see's foul, I see a guy improving & taking it on.

50 is not guaranteed by any stretch. Yes I believe it in his potential!

Sorry, I just don't see it from him.  I'm not complaining about his scoring ability, at all.  It's actually that ability that makes him such an incredibly valuable chip and, quite frankly, they'd be able to have Virt, hog, Podz and a good depth fwd for the same price as one Boeser (especially with his next contract).

1 minute ago, Dixon Ward said:

We have a guy who is the 5th highest scoring RW in the nhl.  We have some strong prospects.  We are trying to build our scoring depth.  So we start talking about trading the best RW we have by far who is 23 and just coming into his prime?  CDC makes no sense at times

Now?  Definitely not........2-3 years from now?  He's in play, imo.

1 minute ago, stawns said:

Now?  Definitely not........2-3 years from now?  He's in play, imo.

I don't understand what the point of this absurdly hypothetical discussion is.  We have no idea what will happen with those players.  I wouldn't project any of them to score at Boeser's pace.  He will still be in his prime in 2-3 years and might be even better.

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Dixon Ward said:

anything is possible. Eventually a big trade will happen from a position of strength like goal tending (likely soon) or forwards (possibly in a few years) for a weakness like top pair d-men.

Look at Boston.:

Thornton

Kessel

Sequin

Hamilton....

Trading good talent and drafting well has kept them competitive for years.

Edited by AV's Coin
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, AV's Coin said:

anything is possible. Eventually a big trade will happen from a position of strength like goal tending (likely soon) or forwards (possibly in a few years) for a weakness like top pair d-men.

Look at Boston.:

Thornton

Kessel

Sequin

Hamilton....

Trading good talent and drafting well has kept them competitive for years.

Yeah we are not that deep and we don't know if all of solid prospects like Hog and Pod are gonna become elite players. That's probably what it would take to even consider trade Boes. They'd have bring up 2-3 forwards to be as good if not better than him.

Seems very unlikely to happen.

Also side comment with the goalies I see us making a side deal with Seattle to keep both Marky and Demko.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Dixon Ward said:

I don't understand what the point of this absurdly hypothetical discussion is.  We have no idea what will happen with those players.  I wouldn't project any of them to score at Boeser's pace.  He will still be in his prime in 2-3 years and might be even better.

Because that's what you do on a discussion board isn't it?  Hoglander is showing some serious offense in this tourney and Podz looks like he might be a solid fit in the bottom 6 to start his career. 

That makes for a lot of options and a surplus of high end fwds, meaning it gives JB some chips to play to keep the window open longer. 

2-3 seasons from now, when this team is really hitting it's stride and getting later and later picks and fewer and fewer high end players in the draft to replace vetetan players on expensive contracts.......you wouldn't even entertain the idea of moving Boes for a blue chip prospect or top 10 pick?

8 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Yeah we are not that deep and we don't know if all of solid prospects like Hog and Pod are gonna become elite players. That's probably what it would take to even consider trade Boes. They'd have bring up 2-3 forwards to be as good if not better than him.

Seems very unlikely to happen.

Also side comment with the goalies I see us making a side deal with Seattle to keep both Marky and Demko.

That's been the point of this discussion......if they do hit.  No one is saying trade Boes now

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Dixon Ward said:

Yet he also projects Jake in a more positive trajectory....

No point in predicting the future...let it play out, then decide.  Injuries also really factor in to what a team does/doesn't do down the road.

• Cheers 1

Just now, stawns said:

That's been the point of this discussion......if they do hit.  No one is saying trade Boes now

My point is it is a big if and wishful thinking even for CDC.

2-3 guys need to be better than Boes to consider moving him. Especially when Miller will almost be gone if and as these guys are establishing themselves at the NHL level.

• Upvote 1