The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nils Hoglander | #21 | LW

ItalianCanuck1

1 minute ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Really don't understand how Hoglander's success would make Boeser expendable. Not only is Hoglander still a prospect at this point, but he plays the opposite wing. If anything, he's more likely to make Pearson the expendable asset.

I expect Pearson will be long gone by then.  

The combination of Jake and Hog would make Boes expendable, in this hypothetical.

• Wat 1

18 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

He scored at a 38/39 goal rate as a rookie. Is nearly a point a game so far this year.  He is a top line forward on most NHL teams. Imagine him taking passes from Backstrom or Kuznetsov? From Malkin...

Jebus, Boeser was scoring at a 39 goal rate as a rookie! Because he had PP time with the Twins. As much as I love Petey! He has to develop before he can get max potential out of his wingers? Not a twin yet! Elias alone developing as a play maker should have guys drooling over Boeser's potential. Who is already easily our 2knd best (forward, Hughes trumps overall) puck handler and shooter. Think what we will do when Pettersson, who will be IMO but is not yet, is better than say Backstrom?

Then we add Hoglanders speed, Juolevi's outlet & PP passing, Podkolzins puck drive & thievery which see's us with the puck. And Hughes cranking up ice with Juolevi's breakout passes?  There are several more gears to come from our offence.  Then we add Boeser himself developing. He has stepped back, as he has learned to be a guy handling the puck. At which CDC see's foul, I see a guy improving & taking it on.

50 is not guaranteed by any stretch. Yes I believe it in his potential!

I’m sorry but that is just crazy talk.   
Yeah everyone is gonna get better.  
He is on pace for like 26-27 goals this year.  
pretty much the same as every year so far.  
He will get better, but he isn’t doubling his goal production.   
35 goals for Boeser is fair but even then still kinda lofty.  

Let’s see an actual 30 goal season.  Then we can start to think about 35.   Lol

50 goals.  Hahah

Edited by drummerboy
Autocorrect bs
  • Upvote 1

Just now, stawns said:

I expect Pearson will be long gone by then.  

The combination of Jake and Hog would make Boes expendable, in this hypothetical.

We'd need to see Jake put up the type of numbers he's put up over the last 15 or so games over the course of a full season before a hypothetical scenario like this is even entertained. And even if Jake is able to produce like he is right now at a more consistent pace, that still leaves us a top 6 RW short, unless the idea is to move Miller over, at which point we're a top 6 LW short.

So that brings Podkolzin into the mix. Problem is that I've seen no indication that Podkolzin can produce at a top 6 rate. Playing a complete game is awesome and all, but at the end of the day what makes a top 6 player is production, and I personally don't believe Podkolzin has the offensive creativity or the offensive IQ to put up significant numbers at the NHL level. Maybe one day, but it will take quite a while for him to develop those offensive instincts imo. He's certainly not going to jump into the league in a year or two and put up 60 points right off the bat. I imagine he'll have a development curve similar to Virtanen's. 

The thing about Boes is that, despite not passing the eye test as well as he did in his rookie season, he's been the posterchild for consistent offense since he's made the team, and he's playing a game that, while not looking as pretty, is a game that will probably translate to playoff hockey in a way that the previous incarnation of the player probably wouldn't have. He's not a 'soft' player any more. He's strong along the boards, and his defensive game has taken a step up. Not someone I'd consider trading unless we were to get an absolute steal in return (a top pairing right D AND a young top 6 winger to replace 70%-80% of the offense), otherwise, forget it. 

• Cheers 3

10 minutes ago, drummerboy said:

I’m sorry but that is just crazy talk.   
Yeah everyone is gonna get better.  
He is on pace for like 26-27 goals this year.  
pretty much the same as every year so far.  
He will get better, but he isn’t doubling his goal production.   
35 goals for Boeser is fair but enemy then still kinda lofty.  

Let’s see an actual 30 goal season.  Then we can start to think about 35.   Lol

50 goals.  Hahah

Brock is on track for 78 points this year.

Boeser scored 29 as a rookie. In 62 games. Those are first line numbers both. They wont match Ovetchkin getting 52 goals as a rookie. Or 51 by Stamklos as a second year player. But I did not claim he was a hall of fame player. I claimed he was capable of getting 50 goals at least once.

I would say, at 22, already a first line forward? That he will get better is a safe projection.  I believe a 29 goal rookie is capable of that in his career.

Haha yourself.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 3

Hey, I am as happy as the next person about our team and prospects, maybe more so...….

But, IMO, to be a true elite team, we are going to need all of our current team, and all of our prospects to develop.....

basically, all hands on deck, then maybe if all develop at the same time, we will have a team that can contend for awhile.

Hoglander is an important piece for sure, as is Podkolzin, as is Madden and Tryamkin, and Rafferty etc...…….

This house is not completely built, and it will depend on a lot of things going as hoped for......

Getting back to Hoglander, he is a beauty!.

But we will need enough additional asset to trade for the missing pieces

Let's see what the next couple of years brings us, first. I am not ready to trade anyone yet!

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Really don't understand how Hoglander's success would make Boeser expendable. Not only is Hoglander still a prospect at this point, but he plays the opposite wing. If anything, he's more likely to make Pearson the expendable asset.

Yep, in order to stay competitive, you need a constant supply of quality, affordable prospects. There will turnover at the top of the talent pyramid because of rising compensation demands. We got Miller because of that and Tampa Bay got what might be a high pick - if things do not go well for Vancouver.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Yep, in order to stay competitive, you need a constant supply of quality, affordable prospects. There will turnover at the top of the talent pyramid because of rising compensation demands. We got Miller because of that and Tampa Bay got what might be a high pick - if things do not go well for Vancouver.

Actually, that is a great point...……..

Tampa was so deep, they traded a 3rd line player who is on our first line

and looks and plays great...….that is the depth you need before trading top end players

IMHO

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Hey, I am as happy as the next person about our team and prospects, maybe more so...….

But, IMO, to be a true elite team, we are going to need all of our current team, and all of our prospects to develop.....

basically, all hands on deck, then maybe if all develop at the same time, we will have a team that can contend for awhile.

Hoglander is an important piece for sure, as is Podkolzin, as is Madden and Tryamkin, and Rafferty etc...…….

This house is not completely built, and it will depend on a lot of things going as hoped for......

Getting back to Hoglander, he is a beauty!.

But we will need enough additional asset to trade for the missing pieces

Let's see what the next couple of years brings us, first. I am not ready to trade anyone yet!

This is probably the best way to look at it. As more of our prospects develop, things will become clearer.

Getting back to Hoglander, I drool over the prospect of him playing with Petey some time down the line. That being said, even the possibility of him playing with Bo or Gaudette is intriguing. Playing with Gaudette may actually work out pretty well down the line. Our 2nd line is more-or-less being deployed as a shutdown line, opening our 3rd line up to collect points, which I believe is a reason our 3rd line is thriving right now. If that trend continues over the next couple of years, it could wind up being a perfect situation for Hoglander. We'll be able to deploy him in a way where his minutes are still somewhat sheltered, but in a way where he's still put in a position to thrive offensively. 

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Brock is on track for 78 points this year.

Boeser scored 29 as a rookie. In 62 games. Those are first line numbers both. They wont match Ovetchkin getting 52 goals as a rookie. Or 51 by Stamklos as a second year player. But I did not claim he was a hall of fame player. I claimed he was capable of getting 50 goals at least once.

I would say, at 22, already a first line forward? That he will get better is a safe projection.  I believe a 29 goal rookie is capable of that in his career.

Haha yourself.

Nobody is saying he isn’t great, or isn’t a first line winger.   
I’m saying a guy who hasn’t hit 30 in his first 3 seasons probably isn’t going to hit 50.   
50 goal scorers are very rare these days.   

9 hours ago, Grape said:

His physical tools seem like they've diminished since his rookie year

NHL players do not even max out until they are 25 but you want to trade away a top 25 scorer, Boeser, in a league of over 700 players?

I for one am glad you don't hold any decision making job with the Canucks.

Edited by Kanukfanatic
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Mathew Barzal said:

If we can get a #1 RHD at a similar age I think we should do it too.

Oh really?

Who do you suggest the Canucks trade Boeser for?  Really...I want to know.

The only higher scoring right wingers in the league are:

Pastrnak - his team won't trade him

Kane - no thanks...he is a dbag and too old

Kucherov -  no thanks...he is paid too much

Stone - I would consider it if he wasn't so old

Svechnikov - his team will keep him

So please tell us all who you will trade Boeser for?  Come on...you said you will trade him....so present options!

(jeezus..)

Edit: sorry...back on topic.  Hogs is a treat to watch.

Edited by Kanukfanatic
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

NHL players do not even max out until they are 25 but you want to trade away a top 25 scorer, Boeser, in a league of over 700 players?

I for one am glad you don't hold any decision making job with the Canucks.

Man relax. We’re all just posters with different opinions. You’re getting way too defensive and arrogant with you’re posts (not just this one).

You make a generalization about NHL players that has nothing to do with my aforementioned points. Yes, most peak around 25 but you act like that applies for everybody. You also act as if what you get back from a trade has nothing to do with how good the player is; if you’re trading away a top 25 scorer you’re going to get high value. I also said the exact opposite of personally wanting to trade Boeser so not sure what your issue is here.

I respect your opinion but you’re going backwards with this argument instead of forward by rebutting mine. By that I mean that I can literally just copy and paste my exact previous post to counter your argument, but I’m too lazy to do so.

18 hours ago, Grape said:

If I had to bet on someone potentially declining in the following years, it would be Brock. His physical tools seem like they've diminished since his rookie year...

Considering that he is visibly stronger now than he was previously, maybe you could be more specific about that.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

Considering that he is visibly stronger now than he was previously, maybe you could be more specific about that.

Can you honestly say his shot is as good as it was in his rookie year? You don’t see him picking corners and besting goalies clean at anywhere near the same rate he did two years ago. In his rookie year it seemed like if he got a little time and space in the home plate area he was gonna score most of the time whereas now he just doesn’t seem as lethal. 

• Cheers 1

Re Brock- His shot is less lethal 

he wears both wrists tapped now 

He’s had several injuries to those wrists -

but He is a more complete player now. I would trade him if he has an attitude but it sounds like he doesn’t and him and Petey get along well. 

I also think the offense went through him more before Perry got here and I think he actually gets fewer high danger chances now.

back to Hogz- looks like 6 points in 3 games, and at least 1 player of the game award. That bodes well for sure but doesn’t guarantee nhl stardom  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

We'd need to see Jake put up the type of numbers he's put up over the last 15 or so games over the course of a full season before a hypothetical scenario like this is even entertained. And even if Jake is able to produce like he is right now at a more consistent pace, that still leaves us a top 6 RW short, unless the idea is to move Miller over, at which point we're a top 6 LW short.

So that brings Podkolzin into the mix. Problem is that I've seen no indication that Podkolzin can produce at a top 6 rate. Playing a complete game is awesome and all, but at the end of the day what makes a top 6 player is production, and I personally don't believe Podkolzin has the offensive creativity or the offensive IQ to put up significant numbers at the NHL level. Maybe one day, but it will take quite a while for him to develop those offensive instincts imo. He's certainly not going to jump into the league in a year or two and put up 60 points right off the bat. I imagine he'll have a development curve similar to Virtanen's. 

The thing about Boes is that, despite not passing the eye test as well as he did in his rookie season, he's been the posterchild for consistent offense since he's made the team, and he's playing a game that, while not looking as pretty, is a game that will probably translate to playoff hockey in a way that the previous incarnation of the player probably wouldn't have. He's not a 'soft' player any more. He's strong along the boards, and his defensive game has taken a step up. Not someone I'd consider trading unless we were to get an absolute steal in return (a top pairing right D AND a young top 6 winger to replace 70%-80% of the offense), otherwise, forget it. 

It's Hog that would move into the the top 6, along with Jake.  Podz frees Jake from having to anchor the bottom 6.

Boes' is a 25-30 goal guy, at this point, and will get into the 30-35 goal range, imo.  Good enough to bring a hefty return, not so good that he'll be irreplaceable.

Again, hypothetical based on "ifs", the biggest if being Hoglander being a legit offensive force.

• Cheers 1