The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nils Hoglander | #21 | LW

ItalianCanuck1

12 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

I have watched pretty much all of Utica’s games, Juolevi is slow compared to any other Canuck owned D in Utica. He has virtues but skating is not one of them. If you want to see an exceptional skater, watch Rafferty - he has NHL wheels - Juolevi does not. We will see next year whether Juolevi can make and stick with the Canucks.  I’d love to see him do it, but without better skating... emphatically no.

Please see below from the Juolevi thread.

On 2/26/2020 at 8:39 PM, Horvat is a Boss said:

Nice straight line speed from Juolevi on the back check.

On Hoglander though, he plays the game the right way and isn't afraid of the dirty areas. Kid is a gamer for sure

• Cheers 1

12 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

I have watched pretty much all of Utica’s games, Juolevi is slow compared to any other Canuck owned D in Utica. He has virtues but skating is not one of them. If you want to see an exceptional skater, watch Rafferty - he has NHL wheels - Juolevi does not. We will see next year whether Juolevi can make and stick with the Canucks.  I’d love to see him do it, but without better skating... emphatically no.

To be fair, 'not exceptional' =/= 'poor'.

He doesn't have blazing speed or Hughes like edge work but he does have a smooth, powerful stride and is a perfectly capable skater. Particularly given the back and knee injuries he's coming back from.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

If next year we add Hoglander and Lind up front, and then the year after we add Podkolzin... we have the capacity to trade away other good players for assets.  I really think you want to insert Hoglander next year to get experience instead of both him and Podkolzin the same year (and probably both on the 3rd line).

Next year:

Miller-Petterson-Toffoli

Pearson-Horvat-Boeser

Hoglander-Gaudette-MacEwan

Roussel-Beagle-Lind/defensive veteran

That allows you to trade a guy like Virtanen for a really good return and/or shed salary cap.

Edited by Provost

10 minutes ago, Provost said:

If next year we add Hoglander and Lind up front, and then the year after we add Podkolzin... we have the capacity to trade away other good players for assets.  I really think you want to insert Hoglander next year to get experience instead of both him and Podkolzin the same year (and probably both on the 3rd line).

Next year:

Miller-Petterson-Toffoli

Pearson-Horvat-Boeser

That allows you to trade a guy like Virtanen for a really good return and/or shed salary cap.

Please don’t take motte out of plans going forward, and I feel like we can keep virtanen around on a very team friendly deal, hogs won’t be ready for the show next year I think pods would be but that’s all up to weather his team would release him to come or not, but I am all for filling the holes within or making hockey trades from this point forward, no more big fish free agents

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, LegionOfDoom said:

Please don’t take motte out of plans going forward, and I feel like we can keep virtanen around on a very team friendly deal, hogs won’t be ready for the show next year I think pods would be but that’s all up to weather his team would release him to come or not, but I am all for filling the holes within or making hockey trades from this point forward, no more big fish free agents

I think Hoglander could benefit from a year in the AHL, but at the same time... we know that Podkolzin is almost a lock to play In the NHL the following year.

Both would slot in on the 3rd line at least initially and Green isn’t going to play two rookies together... so if Hoglander doesn’t get experience and Green’s trust this coming season he could suffer by being stuck in the AHL for a couple of years after Podkolzin has that experience under his belt.

He may not be ready, but you give him every chance and Even plan to play him for a few games at the start of the regular season to show if he can do it.  That helps our succession plan immensely.

We have to feed the rookies in steadily as we still want to win.  The same as we probably won’t add both Juolevi and Rafferty in the same year.  You can’t have an all rookie 3rd pairing and we are not going to play either of them in a top 4 role until they have proven themselves in more sheltered minutes. 

3 hours ago, Provost said:

Next year:

Miller-Petterson-Toffoli

Pearson-Horvat-Boeser

can't see Lind replacing Motte at this point.. sure hope Benning can resign Toffoli.. 

28 minutes ago, Glug Datt said:

can't see Lind replacing Motte at this point.. sure hope Benning can resign Toffoli.. 

Motte is a LW and Lind is a LW.... it would be Hoglander replacing Motte.  Actually it would be Hoglander replacing Roussel and Roussel replacing Motte, which is a big upgrade.

I like Motte, but he is the forward version of Biega.  Totally replaceable.  He is probably a 13th/14th forward next year depending on who we can get rid of.

• Haha 1

On 3/7/2020 at 6:19 AM, IjustNEEDaTROYgamble said:

I can see him playing with Gaudette or Horvat in a few years and becoming a Tom Wilson or a Brad Marchand type player later in his career that other teams hate to play against with his chippiness and getting in the other team’s head but can also score. He will be a fan favorite.

Remember the hit Bure put on Shane Chowderhead from Dallas - the thug that used to goon every talented guy in the league? Hoglander reminds me of him (Bure).

Edited by Ray_Cathode
Spelling
  • Cheers 1

40 minutes ago, Provost said:

Motte is a LW and Lind is a LW.... it would be Hoglander replacing Motte.  Actually it would be Hoglander replacing Roussel and Roussel replacing Motte, which is a big upgrade.

I like Motte, but he is the forward version of Biega.  Totally replaceable.  He is probably a 13th/14th forward next year depending on who we can get rid of.

hmm.. agree to disagree on that.

not that Motte isn't replaceable, but I'll take him over Roussel at this point, especially for the salary. I don't see that as an upgrade (although I will concede that I haven't seen what Roo can do in the playoffs) 

I would assume Hoglander will be a nice 3rd, maybe even 2nd liner.. Lind, at this point, my guess would be 3rd/4th line.. who knows where either peaks out.. but either way, I think Motte is an ideal 4th liner who has earned a spot, and we can't assume the youngbloods can automatically replace him just yet

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Provost said:

I think Hoglander could benefit from a year in the AHL, but at the same time... we know that Podkolzin is almost a lock to play In the NHL the following year.

Both would slot in on the 3rd line at least initially and Green isn’t going to play two rookies together... so if Hoglander doesn’t get experience and Green’s trust this coming season he could suffer by being stuck in the AHL for a couple of years after Podkolzin has that experience under his belt.

He may not be ready, but you give him every chance and Even plan to play him for a few games at the start of the regular season to show if he can do it.  That helps our succession plan immensely.

We have to feed the rookies in steadily as we still want to win.  The same as we probably won’t add both Juolevi and Rafferty in the same year.  You can’t have an all rookie 3rd pairing and we are not going to play either of them in a top 4 role until they have proven themselves in more sheltered minutes. 

Podkolzin could play with Horvat, especially since Pearson hits UFA that year.