The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nils Hoglander | #21 | LW

ItalianCanuck1

2 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I suppose the good news is that this signals that Hogs is likely to sign, once the new agreement is in place.

Can’t really blame them for pushing for a better deal. The transfer fees have been too low for far too long, especially when it comes to top players.

Will be interesting if he's willing to take a Utica spot or if he wins an NHL spot out of camp. We don't have a lot of space on wing at the moment.

On 4/1/2020 at 11:07 AM, -Vintage Canuck- said:

the NHL’s been working on new transfer agreements with the various international federations. The project gained traction, and there is tentative agreement to an eight-year template with all countries interested in participating. The new formula switches off from a “per-player fee” in favour of moving to three components of compensation: an amount based exclusively on where players are drafted from; an amount based on where those signed to NHL contracts played the four years before signing; and an amount based on how many players from particular areas play 30 or more NHL games each year. (It still needs Board of Governor approval.) There was also conversation about the possibility of players who go back overseas at the start of the season being available later in the year.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/23/2020 at 3:11 AM, Junkyard Dog said:

Motte’s not going anywhere and the type of role he plays is to allow kids like Lind Hog and Pod sheltered ice time.  Why would we want any of those players to start on the 4th playing  a checking role?

It’s what he’s currently doing for Virtanen and Gaudette already. 

Hoglander is probably gonna spend a year in the AHL. Lind probably gets the Mac treatment and is first call up next year and Pod is another year away.  Not all three of these guys will make it right away. 

Also Virtanen and Gaud have to round out their games before we bring in more players who have to be sheltered. That’s pretty key. 

Hey, I really like Lind, but there are another couple of guys that might get the call before him - Bailey if we need a winger, and Jasek if we need a guy who can play centre or wing - Jasek is not the offensive threat that Lind is, but he is a strong two-way player. Jasek, of course, is a converted winger (out of necessity because of our shortage of AHL eligible centre prospects - or maybe it is also to make him more useful as a utility player (like Motte, that can play centre or either wing). It should be noted that Lind, a natural winger, was tasked with taking a lot of key face offs in both zones. He may also be being groomed to have broad skills to give him a leg up in moving up. This was also done with MacEwan, who played both wing and centre in junior.  This might have been because Utica had a shortage of centre prospects, or a deliberate strategy to broaden the skill level of prospects. I could see a Lind making the move to the middle - he is good defensively, very good on face offs, and an excellent playmaker who plays well with other offensively talented players.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Hey, I really like Lind, but there are another couple of guys that might get the call before him - Bailey if we need a winger, and Jasek if we need a guy who can play centre or wing - Jasek is not the offensive threat that Lind is, but he is a strong two-way player. Jasek, of course, is a converted winger (out of necessity because of our shortage of AHL eligible centre prospects - or maybe it is also to make him more useful as a utility player (like Motte, that can play centre or either wing). It should be noted that Lind, a natural winger, was tasked with taking a lot of key face offs in both zones. He may also be being groomed to have broad skills to give him a leg up in moving up. This was also done with MacEwan, who played both wing and centre in junior.  This might have been because Utica had a shortage of centre prospects, or a deliberate strategy to broaden the skill level of prospects. I could see a Lind making the move to the middle - he is good defensively, very good on face offs, and an excellent playmaker who plays well with other offensively talented players.

My point was next year we might not see any forwards make it out of camp. Not until we're no longer needing to shelter the young guys we have in Virtanen/Gaud, which probably will take another year. Green needs to start utilizing them in checking roles(secondary PK). When I said Lind will probably be getting the Mac treatment I mean that he'll probably be with the team 3/4 of the year as an extra, just like Mac was. He'll be groomed for the following year and get a handful of games so he'll kind of 'make the team' but not really. Jasek could get a similar treatment too.

We are also loaded at FWD if we re-sign Toffoli or sign a top 6 guy. Something to keep tabs on. Same with Pearson next year. We keep both and are able to integrate young players that could push a guy like Pearson down to the 3rd line we got a deep team. If we then become overloaded with forward talent trade one for a D. That's a scenario that would require a lot of cap work by Benning and/or a complacency buyout or two.

Leivo too is another guy to keep tabs on. If we can't sign Toffoli then Leivo will definitely be back. He's not a bad top 9 guy and can be a stop gap for Lind/Pod. Personally I'd like to see all Pearson, Toffoli and Leivo re-signed. All 3 are pretty good two-way players that can produce points and would fit in with young guys we bring up. It would really make us deep in the top 9 and I like Leivo better than Roussel for Gaudette. If the young guys really step up then a guy like Boeser could be shopped for a good young defenseman

Petey-Miller-Toffoli

Virtanen-Horvat-Boeser

Pearson-Gaudette-Leivo

Motte-Beagle-Mac

Sutter

Could swap Toffoli/Boeser/Virtanen/Pearson around but that sort of forward lineup would help make us a playoff team next year.

D we are probably gonna see a couple at least. If Tryamkin comes back that's a gimme. 6th,7th, 8th spots are all up for grabs with guys like Breezer, Rafferty, etc getting looks. I would keep my eyes on the D spots next year, could be a lot younger than we're used too in the top 6 7th and 8th spots.

My D-core next year would be

Edler-Myers

Hughes-Tanev

Tryamkin-Rafferty

Brisebois

Like I said though cap work and/or compliance buy outs would need to happen. They'd be Roussel/Eriksson for me.

I think by 2021-22 we'll see a few forwards make the jump after Jake/Gaud have rounded out their games and Petey/Hughes are signed to bigger deals. Pod being the big one and Lind having been groomed to take a spot the following. Hog should spend a year in the AHL unless he blows expectations and outplays Pod/Lind.

Overall I think we're seeing Mac(as a regular), Rafferty, hopefully Tryamkin and hopefully Brisebois next year. I think all 4 have a good shot of making it next year. top 6/extras we've gotten after Biega have all faltered and with how old our D-core is I could see JB letting the young guys fill those spots to see what they have in them. 

Edited by Junkyard Dog
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

My point was next year we might not see any forwards make it out of camp. Not until we're no longer needing to shelter the young guys we have in Virtanen/Gaud, which probably will take another year. Green needs to start utilizing them in checking roles(secondary PK). When I said Lind will probably be getting the Mac treatment I mean that he'll probably be with the team 3/4 of the year as an extra, just like Mac was. He'll be groomed for the following year and get a handful of games so he'll kind of 'make the team' but not really. Jasek could get a similar treatment too.

We are also loaded at FWD if we re-sign Toffoli or sign a top 6 guy. Something to keep tabs on. Same with Pearson next year. We keep both and are able to integrate young players that could push a guy like Pearson down to the 3rd line we got a deep team. If we then become overloaded with forward talent trade one for a D. That's a scenario that would require a lot of cap work by Benning and/or a complacency buyout or two.

Leivo too is another guy to keep tabs on. If we can't sign Toffoli then Leivo will definitely be back. He's not a bad top 9 guy and can be a stop gap for Lind/Pod. Personally I'd like to see all Pearson, Toffoli and Leivo re-signed. All 3 are pretty good two-way players that can produce points and would fit in with young guys we bring up. It would really make us deep in the top 9 and I like Leivo better than Roussel for Gaudette. If the young guys really step up then a guy like Boeser could be shopped for a good young defenseman

Petey-Miller-Toffoli

Virtanen-Horvat-Boeser

Pearson-Gaudette-Leivo

Motte-Beagle-Mac

Sutter

Could swap Toffoli/Boeser/Virtanen/Pearson around but that sort of forward lineup would help make us a playoff team next year.

D we are probably gonna see a couple at least. If Tryamkin comes back that's a gimme. 6th,7th, 8th spots are all up for grabs with guys like Breezer, Rafferty, etc getting looks. I would keep my eyes on the D spots next year, could be a lot younger than we're used too in the top 6 7th and 8th spots.

Edler-Myers

Hughes-Tanev

Tryamkin-Rafferty

Brisebois

Like I said though cap work and/or compliance buy outs would need to happen. They'd be Roussel/Eriksson for me.

I think by 2021-22 we'll see a few forwards make the jump after Jake/Gaud have rounded out their games and Petey/Hughes are signed to bigger deals. Pod being the big one and Lind having been groomed to take a spot the following. Hog should spend a year in the AHL unless he blows expectations and outplays Pod/Lind.

Overall I think we're seeing Mac(as a regular), Rafferty, hopefully Tryamkin and hopefully Brisebois next year. I think all 4 have a good shot of making it next year. top 6/extras we've gotten after Biega have all faltered and with how old our D-core is I could see JB letting the young guys fill those spots to see what they have in them. 

What if Hoglander earns a spot out of camp? What if we do sign Brome?

Pearson as a UFA trade chip next season could be a big win for us as we need to rotate in our young offensive players. Hogs, Podz, Lind will likely all need a shot at a full-time spot within the next two years opening up a lot of trade options. This might also depend on if Toffoli resigns with us.

6 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

What if Hoglander earns a spot out of camp? What if we do sign Brome?

Pearson as a UFA trade chip next season could be a big win for us as we need to rotate in our young offensive players. Hogs, Podz, Lind will likely all need a shot at a full-time spot within the next two years opening up a lot of trade options. This might also depend on if Toffoli resigns with us.

It's a huge ask of Hog. if we sign Toffoli there's no top 6 spot for him. We have 2 guys already needing sheltering on the 3rd line in Virtanen and Gaudette. Realistically he'd need to outplay Virtanen or Jake to earn a spot. In the bottom 6 Ferland/Mac have a physical role on this team and Beagle/Motte have a defensive role. Really limits what spots are open at forward next year.

Brome/Leivo will for sure be here if Toffoli doesn't re-sign. Makes sense to sign someone. Leivo was a good top 9 RW for us still barely 27. Who knows with Brome.

With how good Pearson's been for us I could see him being re-signed. Good stop gap for young guys and would eventually be pushed down the lineup. If young guys really step up we won't be able to afford them all and will have to trade some like Boeser for a Dman.

A lot of it is a wait and see with the cap/whether we get the compliance buyouts/whether Toffoli wants to be back etc. Forward wise though I don't see any making it next year besides Mac unless they outplay Gaud/Jake. Next year we probably see a few D make in as extras and in the top 6.

• Cheers 1

16 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

It's a huge ask of Hog. if we sign Toffoli there's no top 6 spot for him. We have 2 guys already needing sheltering on the 3rd line in Virtanen and Gaudette. Realistically he'd need to outplay Virtanen or Jake to earn a spot. In the bottom 6 Ferland/Mac have a physical role on this team and Beagle/Motte have a defensive role. Really limits what spots are open at forward next year.

Brome/Leivo will for sure be here if Toffoli doesn't re-sign. Makes sense to sign someone. Leivo was a good top 9 RW for us still barely 27. Who knows with Brome.

With how good Pearson's been for us I could see him being re-signed. Good stop gap for young guys and would eventually be pushed down the lineup. If young guys really step up we won't be able to afford them all and will have to trade some like Boeser for a Dman.

A lot of it is a wait and see with the cap/whether we get the compliance buyouts/whether Toffoli wants to be back etc. Forward wise though I don't see any making it next year besides Mac unless they outplay Gaud/Jake. Next year we probably see a few D make in as extras and in the top 6.

I think Virtanen unfortunately becomes is man out in this scenario.

On April 12, 2020 at 5:57 AM, Junkyard Dog said:

Petey-Miller-Toffoli

Virtanen-Horvat-Boeser

Pearson-Gaudette-Leivo

Motte-Beagle-Mac

Sutter

Edler-Myers

Hughes-Tanev

Tryamkin-Rafferty

Brisebois

I agree with you great post. You forgot Ferland on your list, hope he recovers...I feel Benning will not resign UFA Tanev at 4yrs x 4.8 million at 30 yrs old,  always injured..

Must make a trade to replace Tanev-- Younger guy under 27, example - Severson, 25, 6'2 solid # 3 D man would be a good fit...Devils..

Cost might be Boser ?  Severson & 3rd rounder -- If we resign Taffoli we could make  Boser a good trade chip to bring in a #2 D guy...

Remember to get a top #2 D man it will cost us and thats okay....This will change back end and make us even better...

Stetcher RFA  3 yrs x 2.5 ? - Trade for 3rd round pick and replace Stetcher  -- Rafferty @ 750,000

Edited by wildcam

8 minutes ago, wildcam said:

I agree with you great post. You forgot Ferland on your list, hope he recovers...I feel Benning will not resign UFA Tanev at 4yrs x 4.8 million at 30 yrs old,  always injured..

Must make a trade to replace Tanev-- Younger guy under 27, example - Severson, 25, 6'2 solid # 3 D man would be a good fit...Devils..

Cost might be Boser ?  Severson & 3rd rounder -- If we resign Taffoli we could make  Boser a good trade chip to bring in a #2 D guy...

Remember to get a top #2 D man it will cost us and thats okay....This will change back end and make us even better...

Stetcher RFA  3 yrs x 2.5 ? - Trade for 3rd round pick and replace Stetcher  -- Rafferty @ 750,000

Yeah forgot about Ferland. If he's back we probably could keep Leivo as an extra if he signs cheap and we have the cap for it. Otherwise he's in for Leivo on the 3rd line.

Not too keen on giving up a Boeser till Hog/Pod/Lind prove he's expendable. Until we have a good problem lets not pretend like we do IMO. So that sort of deal is 2-3 years away IMO.

Signing Tanev would be a stop gap. Edler won't be around forever. Sign Tanev 4 years his contract will end just as Myers does. He wasn't hurt a lot this year thanks to Myers eating up time. Both guys would become trade assets in 3 years time as our young D prove ready. I could see us getting another defenseman but instead of trading for one now we could sign a good solid top 6 D to help a Tryamkin out. Someone like Edmundson/Dillon who're extremely capable of jumping up into the top 4 if there are any injuries. Injuries would also allow guys like Rafferty/Brisebois to get in and get some experience as they are being groomed.

Also Seattle's gonna take someone. If we make a deal with them not to take either goalie they could take Myers/Tanev from us. At that point we could look to trade a Boeser or Virtanen for a defenseman.

6 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Yeah forgot about Ferland. If he's back we probably could keep Leivo as an extra if he signs cheap and we have the cap for it. Otherwise he's in for Leivo on the 3rd line.

Not too keen on giving up a Boeser till Hog/Pod/Lind prove he's expendable. Until we have a good problem lets not pretend like we do IMO. So that sort of deal is 2-3 years away IMO.

Signing Tanev would be a stop gap. Edler won't be around forever. Sign Tanev 4 years his contract will end just as Myers does. He wasn't hurt a lot this year thanks to Myers eating up time. Both guys would become trade assets in 3 years time as our young D prove ready. I could see us getting another defenseman but instead of trading for one now we could sign a good solid top 6 D to help a Tryamkin out. Someone like Edmundson/Dillon who're extremely capable of jumping up into the top 4 if there are any injuries. Injuries would also allow guys like Rafferty/Brisebois to get in and get some experience as they are being groomed.

Also Seattle's gonna take someone. If we make a deal with them not to take either goalie they could take Myers/Tanev from us. At that point we could look to trade a Boeser or Virtanen for a defenseman.

we are not trading virtanen or boeser   or hughes or petersson. they are going nowhere. Tanev will be let go  hes getting old time for a new dcorp

edler myers

hughes tryamkin

juolevi rathbone

rafferty 

should be our corp next season 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, canuktravella said:

we are not trading virtanen or boeser   or hughes or petersson. they are going nowhere. Tanev will be let go  hes getting old time for a new dcorp

edler myers

hughes tryamkin

juolevi rathbone

rafferty 

OMG -- Need to replace Tanev? He is solid #2 guy...I am fine moving away from him..

We have no # 2 guy ready to replace Tanev?? We will be 10 points behind this year pace  if we start season with Tryamkin at #2 ..Bad move..

Stetcher RFA - rade for 3rd rounder and  - Replace with Rafferty.......Juolevi could be # 3  by 2022??? Maybe..

Juolevi Rookie - Rathbone - Rookie can't be playingt 3rd pairing?? Big adjustment sorry not that simple...

Hughes is the exception, young D man take time, everything is so so much faster in the NHL...

Need to move a Boser 5.8 million... for solid NHL # 2 D man under 27...We need to make room we have lots of players to resign..

Resign Taffoili 4 yrs 4.9 million complete 200 foot game - 30 goals  - 65 point playing with Petey

Edited by wildcam
  • Upvote 1

Just now, canuktravella said:

edler myers

hughes tryamkin

juolevi rathbone

rafferty 

That's a rebuilding D-core not a playoff one.

That's too inexperienced and would get taken advantage of like the Gaud/Virtanen line defensively. OJ definitely needs another year Rathbone might also and might not even sign this year. Asking Tryamkin to handle Tanev responsibilities with only a year NHL experience and hasn't played in years is a huge ask.

I also only said Virtanen/Boeser go if Pod/Hog/Lind prove that they're expendable if you read that properly. Which is another big ask and a few years away at least.

We are trying to be a playoff team so you need good veterans to play with your developing players Not developing players to play with developing players. We are doing that with Gaud/Virtanen and both are needing to be sheltered from any sort of defensive responsibility. All you're gonna end up doing is make Edler-Myers play 25+ minutes a game while the youth play less than 15. Think about it Benn/Stecher/Fanta all played less than 16 minutes, veterans. You honestly think we're are gonna give a bunch of young players/rookie D the time to make mistakes and learn while we're trying to win hockey games and make the playoffs? 

As I said though. That's a rebuilding D-core and we are no longer rebuilding. We can compete, have a solid D-core and integrate young D gradually giving them the best environment to develop. If you want to succeed and be a good team the next few years and on that's what will need to happen. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Yes i agree with post again but after signing..

Markstrom

Taffoili - Resign solid 200 foot game - 30 goals -65 point playing with Petey..

Virtanen

Leivo

MacEwen

Motte

Stetcher -- RFA trade for 3rd rounder  -- replace with Rafferty 750,000

Now you trade Boser 5.7 million for #2 D guy..

We won't have extra money to sign free agents.. Have to trade someone good to get that solid D man...

Demko 25 or Markstrom 30, one of these goalies will be traded before expansion May 2022..

Return will be very good for either player

Edited by wildcam

1 minute ago, wildcam said:

Yes i agree with post again but after signing..

Markstrom

Taffoili - Resign solid 200 foot game - 30 goals -65 point playing with Petey..

Virtanen

Leivo

MacEwen

Motte

Stetcher -- RFA trade for 3rd rounder  -- replace with Rafferty 750,000

Now you trade Boser 5.7 million for #2 D guy..

We won't have extra money to sign free agents.. Have to trade someone good to get that solid D man...

You missed the Seattle part. We make a deal for them to take Myers/Tanev then that might be the time for a trade for a D. Instead of trading for one now and having to protect in the expansion.

We also could have the money 9M in Eriksson/Roussel if we get a couple compliance buyouts and another 6.375M if we shop Sutter/Benn who both have 1 year left. 15-16M is a lot of cap on top of the cap we're getting. Again though it is wait and see. Hopefully Burkie is right and we do get a couple buyouts, it would help us immensely. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, canuktravella said:

edler myers

hughes tryamkin

juolevi rathbone

rafferty 

That is a terrible defence and is asking to be a lottery team next year.

If we don’t re-sigh Tanev, we have to trade for another top 4 guy.  Maybe in a pinch we could make do with Stecher paired with Edler, but even that is pretty flimsy. 

Our Defence this year wasn’t good enough and it was remarkably healthy.  We can’t out score our problems all the time.

If Benning is able to, trading a forward for a D is a smart move.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

15 hours ago, Provost said:

That is a terrible defence and is asking to be a lottery team next year.

If we don’t re-sigh Tanev, we have to trade for another top 4 guy.  Maybe in a pinch we could make do with Stecher paired with Edler, but even that is pretty flimsy. 

Our Defence this year wasn’t good enough and it was remarkably healthy.  We can’t out score our problems all the time.

If Benning is able to, trading a forward for a D is a smart move.

good thing  your not a gm 

• Wat 1

19 hours ago, canuktravella said:

edler myers

hughes tryamkin

juolevi rathbone

rafferty 

Can you name any other team, ever, that had 3 rookie D men in the line up?

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1