The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nils Hoglander | #21 | LW

ItalianCanuck1

5 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I think the SHL really wants to become an alternative to the AHL as an optional development/farm system for the NHL. Not to the point of becoming affiliate teams, but with SHL teams having very close workings and cooperation with NHL teams, when it comes to developing players drafted out of the Swedish system. I would not be surprised to see it become normal in future years for many young Swedish (and other European) players to go on loan transfers where, throughout the season, they get “demoted” and “called up” between the SHL and NHL (at least as much as would be allowed by the terms of various agreements). 

I'm sure that's the case, they want to put a good show on too. It must be annoying to bring these kids along and then loose them to the AHL. They're Pros and want to fill their arena each night.

6 minutes ago, MrCanuck94 said:

https://thehockeynews.com/news/article/redoing-the-2019-nhl-draft-how-would-it-unfold-today

I'll post it here for anyone who misses it in the Podkolzin thread. Very early for a redraft but fun to look at in these times. Podkolzin jumps a spot and Hoglander jumps to 18.

Way too soon for a redraft but nice to see Hoglander get some recognition.

• Cheers 2

19 hours ago, MrCanuck94 said:

https://thehockeynews.com/news/article/redoing-the-2019-nhl-draft-how-would-it-unfold-today

I'll post it here for anyone who misses it in the Podkolzin thread. Very early for a redraft but fun to look at in these times. Podkolzin jumps a spot and Hoglander jumps to 18.

Byram at 4 in a re draft??? He hasn't looked nearly as dynamic this year after serious injury.

20 hours ago, MrCanuck94 said:

Nice to see that the guys we were likely choosing between Krebs, Caufield, Boldy are still behind Podkolzin.  I really feel he will be one of the top 5 in this draft class when it all shakes out in a few years.  Pod's game is as suited to the NHL as anyone else, he will be a consistent 60+ point pitbull out there.

Hoglander is a great find, could be in the NHL as early as next year.  Benning has hit on most of his 1st round picks, as he should drafting near the top.  If Woo, Lind and Hoglander pan out as 2nds, that would be so huge for this team.  

6 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Excited to see this kid when he comes to camp. Be a great bottom 6 addition to start.  Maybe move up from there.

2 years possibly?

Just heard he has a European out clause after 10 games in Utica.. 

How long before before he becomes hate bait? Lol 

• Haha 2

I'd be surprised if he didn't make the big team at some point. Would suck to have another Reid Boucher in the farm. 

I would think before that happens, the 'Nucks would include him in a trade of some sort. But speculating of such things is ultra dumb. So.................

It's a wait and see thing..

2 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Just heard he has a European out clause after 10 games in Utica.. 

How long before before he becomes hate bait? Lol 

Interestingly, it sounds like Höglander’s clause is one that kicks in automatically for any player from Sweden that falls in his age group and draft position. Probably something the SIHA (Swedish Ice Hockey Association) negotiated as part of the transfer agreement. 

So I don’t think we can blame Höglander for the clause, even if we wanted to.

Not that any player deserves to become hate bait for having a Euro assignment clause, regardless of whether it’s player elected, or part of an agreement. Just part of doing business, and very easy to understand why the Europeans want these clauses, when you take the time to consider things from their position.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Interestingly, it sounds like Höglander’s clause is one that kicks in automatically for any player from Sweden that falls in his age group and draft position. Probably something the SIHA (Swedish Ice Hockey Association) negotiated as part of the transfer agreement. 

So I don’t think we can blame Höglander for the clause, even if we wanted to.

Not that any player deserves to become hate bait for having a Euro assignment clause, regardless of whether it’s player elected, or part of an agreement. Just part of doing business, and very easy to understand why the Europeans want these clauses, when you take the time to consider things from their position.

My post was more facetious Sid,   Knowing the discontent here with fans when Tryamkin had the clause regarding not going to Utica.

Same situation really,  just that most European leagues have agreements with the NHL regarding this type of contract.

I beleive the KHL and NHL are working on this matter this off season. 
personaly, if I was a young player coming from Europe or Russia, I would want the type of control in the very least.

Edited by SilentSam
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, SilentSam said:

My post was more facetious Sid,   Knowing the discontent here with fans when Tryamkin had the clause regarding not going to Utica.

Same situation really,  just that most European leagues have agreements with the NHL regarding this type of contract.

I beleive the KHL and NHL are working on this matter this off season. 
personaly, if I was a young player coming from Europe or Russia, I would want the type of control in the very least.

Yeah, I knew where you were coming from. Sorry that wasn’t clear in my post. Was just jumping off what you said and trying to add some info for the other folks who like to criticize European players for their clauses.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

On 5/3/2020 at 2:05 PM, MrCanuck94 said:

Love the redrafts, but Dahlen in one of the redrafts for his draft was considered a first round pick. Hoglander has the dog in him Dahlen never did though. So don’t you go thinking I put them in the same boat. :P

• Upvote 1

On 5/3/2020 at 2:05 PM, MrCanuck94 said:

Three years from now, Podkolzin will be top three and Hoglander top ten when looking back at their draft. That would take the sting out of no first nor second this year - unless Benning can spring a very low first from somebody.

8 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Three years from now, Podkolzin will be top three and Hoglander top ten when looking back at their draft. That would take the sting out of no first nor second this year - unless Benning can spring a very low first from somebody.

If the draft goes ahead, as reported, before the season ends, that almost an impossibility.

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

If the draft goes ahead, as reported, before the season ends, that almost an impossibility.

Yeah, most likely.

I think for this year’s draft, I’m going to pretend that we kept our first and second. And we picked a point-per-game C/W in the first round, with a playing style perfectly suited for lining up with Pettersson. And in the second round, a top-six quality RW, who slipped to the second because of some risk that he might hold out for free agency, but who can solidify our top-six, if we can manage sign him. And then somehow, through the use of advanced technology, both of these prospects will be age accelerated to reach their primes immediately. 

I mean, who would say no to that kind of result? That would be an amazing draft, especially for a team like the Canucks.

(Oh wait, that’s what we have in Miller and Toffoli ;))

It just kinda hit me today that that’s what we have to show for those picks. And I would have gladly drafted guys with Miller and Toffoli’s potential. So I’m pretty psyched to have them already here, in their primes, and ready to help this team win (assuming Toffoli is re-signed). 

Now, if we could just throw Podkolzin, Höglander, McDonough, Lind, Rathbone, Woo, etc into that same age acceleration machine and have them all here and in their primes for next season...

• Cheers 2

On 4/30/2020 at 7:26 PM, Provost said:

If he could play 9 games in the NHL and then go to Utica until the World Juniors training camps in December that would be ideal.

We then know if he is ready for the NHL or can go join his Swedish club.   

From a pure development angle, that would be amazing.  He gets a taste of the NHL to learn what he needs to work on.  He gets more time on the smaller ice in the AHL playing big minutes, then he gets to play a best on best tourney of his peers before heading back and playing on a men’s league where they have fewer games and more practice and gym time.

I highly doubt he's ready for the NHL. I also doubt they just give him 9 games for no reason.