Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Recommended Posts

9 hours ago, DeNiro said:

I guarantee they didn’t draft Kunz to be a fourth line grinder. His high school numbers show he has offensive instinct with almost a goal per game. The question will be can he translate that to the USHL level and then the NCAA level. Im sure similar things were said about Jamie Benn.

 

As for the quote about Zlodeyev not sure who made that quote but it strongly contradicts Craig Buttons opinion of him which was that he’s an elite offensive player. I’ve also seen reports that he is very good on the power play. So I think that persons opinion might be based on limited intel.

Quotes by JD Burke. Scott Wheeler and Cam Robinson both had similar opinions on Kunz and Zlodeyev in the same article. The article's headline is very deceptive, the Canucks didn't necessarily "hit it out of the park," the overall assessment of the 2020 Canucks draft class is that they got decent value for the picks they had. With the exception of Kunz, they thought that a lot of the other prospects would be taken higher in the draft. 

Edited by CallAfterLife
Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, CallAfterLife said:

Quotes by JD Burke. Scott Wheeler and Cam Robinson both had similar opinions on Kunz and Zlodeyev in the same article. The article's headline is very deceptive, the Canucks didn't necessarily "hit it out of the park," the overall assessment of the 2020 Canucks draft class is that they got decent value for the picks they had. With the exception of Kunz, they thought that a lot of the other prospects would be taken higher in the draft. 

No disrespect to those guys but they’re simply writers who watch hockey.

 

Craig Button is a former director of scouting and NHL executive. He knows a little more about evaluating talent I would say. If he says Zlodeyev has high end offensive abilities I’d take his word for it.

 

As for Kunz I like how they took him way higher than his ranking. Says to me that even if he might have been ranked lower they weren’t going to risk losing him. Seems like they think they know something other scouts don’t. Time will tell if they’re right. Wouldn’t be the first American USHL gem they uncovered.

 

Edited by DeNiro
  • Like 2
  • Hydration 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, DeNiro said:

No disrespect to those guys but they’re simply writers who watch hockey.

 

Craig Button is a former director of scouting and NHL executive. He knows a little more about evaluating talent I would say. If he says Zlodeyev has high end offensive abilities I’d take his word for it.

 

As for Kunz I like how they took him way higher than his ranking. Says to me that even if he might have been ranked lower they weren’t going to risk losing him. Seems like they think they know something other scouts don’t. Time will tell if they’re right. Wouldn’t be the first American USHL gem they uncovered.

 

It's a trend on the board to over estimate all Vcr draft picks. I recall Craig Button who has been in the NHL community working as a scout seems like for ever. He ranked Virtanen as a 2nd round pick .....hey maybe he new some thing ::D

  • Hydration 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Fred65 said:

It's a trend on the board to over estimate all Vcr draft picks. I recall Craig Button who has been in the NHL community working as a scout seems like for ever. He ranked Virtanen as a 2nd round pick .....hey maybe he new some thing ::D

Craig Button knows a lot about hockey and I like his takes on players. Craig is really high on Rafferty as well. Saying he is NHL ready. 

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Fred65 said:

It's a trend on the board to over estimate all Vcr draft picks. I recall Craig Button who has been in the NHL community working as a scout seems like for ever. He ranked Virtanen as a 2nd round pick .....hey maybe he new some thing ::D

He also valued Boeser around 10th overall and we eventually got him with pick 23. I’m starting to think Vancouver should cross reference their scouting reports with Buttons lol. When they find a match they got themselves a player to pick.

  • Hydration 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, flickyoursedin said:

He also valued Boeser around 10th overall and we eventually got him with pick 23. I’m starting to think Vancouver should cross reference their scouting reports with Buttons lol. When they find a match they got themselves a player to pick.

Button has a trained eye, why wouldn't you add his insight into your discussions. A lot of scouts try to lure other scouts into conversation about player, it can be revealing. I always remember the scouts room at Queens Park Arena during the Punch McLean era. In a room the size of a modest toilet there would be maybe 50 scouts and GM's all apprently cigar smoker chatting the noise was incredible. I recall seeing Al Arbour one night there he was waring a racoon skin long overcoat. NW Bruins sure pumped out a lot of NHL players

Link to post
Share on other sites

https://canucksarmy.com/2020/10/24/nils-hoglander-has-been-one-of-the-best-two-way-players-in-the-shl-this-season/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

 

 

apparently he's one of the best 2 way forwards in the SHL right about now.  hopefully we have another soon to be NHLer in our pipe line.  I really like to see us do well also out side the first round.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

https://canucksarmy.com/2020/10/24/nils-hoglander-has-been-one-of-the-best-two-way-players-in-the-shl-this-season/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

 

 

apparently he's one of the best 2 way forwards in the SHL right about now.  hopefully we have another soon to be NHLer in our pipe line.  I really like to see us do well also out side the first round.

Can't see how he isn't in our lineup on opening day.  Perfect fit for our 3rd line, with longer term top 6 upside.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/23/2020 at 12:56 PM, HockeyHarry said:

Realistically where in the Canucks lineup would a small rookie with zero North American experience fit in the 2021 Canuck line? He needs time in Utica before the Jump to Canucks roster.

 

Im a huge Hoglander fan but i see him as a Canuck down the line. See how he plays in Utica first and see if Canucks have a spot available. If Canucks do have a spot available it means Canucks are in trouble in 2021 with injuries. Kole Lind is more likely to be in the Canuck lineup before Hoglander imo.

Well there is the very good chance the team will carry a taxi squad of “non roster” players who travel and practice with the team.  We won’t likely have a normal AHL.

 

Hoglander should be on that taxi squad and would probably see some NHL games with a compressed schedule.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

it's not bad considering he will be pushed down the line up a little and ice time is reduced because he's playing for the best team in that league right now. 

4(4A) of those points were in the first 2 games and after those first 2 games he went on a 6 game pointless streak. Last 3 games since he's ended that pointless streak he's gotten 2 points(1G,1A)

 

He is also up in ice time from last season. 13:11 in last year 13:51 this year.

 

1st goal in 11 games. I bet he's glad to have that monkey off his back. Hopefully more goals are to come.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Provost said:

Well there is the very good chance the team will carry a taxi squad of “non roster” players who travel and practice with the team.  We won’t likely have a normal AHL.

 

Hoglander should be on that taxi squad and would probably see some NHL games with a compressed schedule.

TBH I could see Hoglander needing another season or half-season of development. AHL is targeting a Feburary 5th start date and the SHL season ends during march and playoffs begin after that.

Edited by Junkyard Dog
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
33 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Don’t know if these hi lights have been posted already.

Hoglander skill set seems more purposeful than last season..  and his back check improved..

i don’t think he would spend much time in the AHL ,  or any..  his heads up play reminds me of the first time we saw EP 40 dress in a Canucks game.

 

 

He’s got his head up the whole time and makes so many plays 1v1 ( at least from 2 min highlights). Like you I think he’ll fit in better than most think. He’s going to be a good player for us. 

  • Like 1
  • Hydration 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Setyoureyesontheprize said:

He’s got his head up the whole time and makes so many plays 1v1 ( at least from 2 min highlights). Like you I think he’ll fit in better than most think. He’s going to be a good player for us. 

We just need our bigger young men to be prepared to protect our higher skilled players, it was getting sickening watching some The the abuse EP 40 has been getting.

Jake, Zack, Myers, Schmidt, ..  we may need to trade a skill set player late in the next season if we don’t have at least the “pack” mentality needed .

.. add Rafferty and Tryamkin to the possibilities on that short list.

I don’t think we need a player like Reaves to resolve the issue, but we need a team mentality that’s ready to bite..

A player like Reaves or Wilson can get shut down having to be looking over their shoulder all night long..

they get tired, and look for a quick fight to exit the game on.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...