The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nils Hoglander | #21 | LW

ItalianCanuck1

Its amazing watching certain players skate and that ability to open up their stance and deceptively push off to create separation on the outside.  I remember Hunter Shinkaruk was excellent with opening up his stance briefly and stepping out on the perimeter to blow by the defender.  Such an underrated skill, looks simple, but the simple opening up the stance freezes the defender as it often looks like a preparation for a shot.

Its going to be key for him to continue developing that to create more separation between him and his defender, he is a good skater but isn't a guy that turns on the burners.  He does keep his feet moving and keeping them busy which is great.  Its going to afford him a lot of looks offensively in the NHL.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Its amazing watching certain players skate and that ability to open up their stance and deceptively push off to create separation on the outside.  I remember Hunter Shinkaruk was excellent with opening up his stance briefly and stepping out on the perimeter to blow by the defender.  Such an underrated skill, looks simple, but the simple opening up the stance freezes the defender as it often looks like a preparation for a shot.

Its going to be key for him to continue developing that to create more separation between him and his defender, he is a good skater but isn't a guy that turns on the burners.  He does keep his feet moving and keeping them busy which is great.  Its going to afford him a lot of looks offensively in the NHL.

Pretty sure I could have scored that goal.............That was some heavy lifting by Hoglander

He made it look pretty easy....it was not!

Edited by janisahockeynut

1st Tier- Hoglander, Podkolzin, Joulevi- All ready to go

2nd Tier- Rathbone, Lind, Rafferty- Close

3rd Tier-DiPietro, MacDonaugh, Woo, Costmar, Karlsson- Could be there soon

4th Tier- Zlodyev, Jumo, Persson- Nice starts to draft +1 seasons

We have a really nice and balanced prospect pool.  I think all of the 1st tier will see ice time this year.  If any of the players from the other tiers can make an impact, that woukd be ahuge win.  Wasn't sure where to put Tryamkin, but he is having a real nice season in the KHL.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

7 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

That assist reminds me of a play Hughes would make.

Man it will be fun to have this guy join Hughes and Pettersson. Should be lots of highlight reel plays coming our way.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Vintage 1

14 hours ago, BCNate said:

We have a really nice and balanced prospect pool.  I think all of the 1st tier will see ice time this year.  If any of the players from the other tiers can make an impact, that woukd be ahuge win.  Wasn't sure where to put Tryamkin, but he is having a real nice season in the KHL.

Last season in the AHL, Rafferty was a much better player than Juolevi - and it is not putting down Juolevi to say that. Rafferty was extraordinary.

• Vintage 1

5 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Last season in the AHL, Rafferty was a much better player than Juolevi - and it is not putting down Juolevi to say that. Rafferty was extraordinary.

I thought the report were his defensive game still need work? 

13 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Only Brisebois had a better plus minus, in addition, as the season drew to a close, Rafferty got more and more of the key defensive situations - which he often used to not only defend but push the play. Like this short-handed goal 

• Cheers 1

20 hours ago, BCNate said:

I would add Chatfield to 2nd tier, but he may see nhl time this year, add Jacek to 3rd Tier, but I have a suspicion he will play in the NHL some day as a 4th line C or bottom 6 winger.

lots of dark horse prospects, I like the guys we picked top this year - Kunz and Truscott

I don't see woo getting nhl time, I think utunen and breezer will be a good ahl d man.

6 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

I don't disagree at all, I just question how well Rafferty will be able to defend at the NHL level.  He certainly had his struggles in Utica, and is 25, so not sure how much more he will develop.  We've all heard JB talk about Chatfield and Joulevi's readiness for next season, but not anything about BR.  Not sure why, but JB doesn't seem quite as high on him.

22 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Pretty sure I could have scored that goal.............That was some heavy lifting by Hoglander

He made it look pretty easy....it was not!

That move/pass is just what EP needs to start scoring 50+ goals a year....Podz. on the other side retrieving pucks and storming the net....

....unstoppable...!

• Cheers 1

22 hours ago, BCNate said:

I have had a hard time putting players into degrees of NHL success.....but I would say I see it a little different than you.......not that yours is bad, because it is not.

I see it this way..............

Potential 1st and 2nd line players: Podkolzin and Hoglander

Potential players that may elevate to be 1st and 2nd players: Joulevi, Rathbone, Tryamkin

Players that have the potential to be 3 line players: Lind, Rafferty, Chatfield, DiPietro, Woo, Brisebois, Jasek

Players that show promise that they could move up into NHL ready: Karlsson, Zlodeyev, McDonough

Players that may show promise to move up: Costmar, Utunen, Truscott, Persson, Kunz, Malone, and Focht

I don't look at this as a prospect list, as much as list of players owned by the Canucks. I also have some reservations on Rafferty and Tryamkin, because of age

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

I have had a hard time putting players into degrees of NHL success.....but I would say I see it a little different than you.......not that yours is bad, because it is not.

I see it this way..............

Potential 1st and 2nd line players: Podkolzin and Hoglander

Potential players that may elevate to be 1st and 2nd players: Joulevi, Rathbone, Tryamkin

Players that have the potential to be 3 line players: Lind, Rafferty, Chatfield, DiPietro, Woo, Brisebois, Jasek

Players that show promise that they could move up into NHL ready: Karlsson, Zlodeyev, McDonough

Players that may show promise to move up: Costmar, Utunen, Truscott, Persson, Kunz, Malone, and Focht

I don't look at this as a prospect list, as much as list of players owned by the Canucks. I also have some reservations on Rafferty and Tryamkin, because of age

I think another good method could be

S tier - 1st line FWD - Top pairing D                                         Example Hughes/Petey

A tier - Top 6 FWD - Top 4 D                                                     Example Toffoli/Edler

B tier - middle 6 FWD(essentially top 9 FWD) - 4th/5th D         Example Pearson/Leivo

C tier Bottom 6 FWD - Top 6 D                                                 Example Stecher/Beagle

D tier4th line/extra FWD - 6th/7th/8th D                                    Example Schaller/Benn

You could put players in between tiers as well if like ceiling A/floor B.

My list would be

Pod Ceiling S/Floor B

Hog Ceiling A/Floor B

Juolevi/Rathbone Ceiling A/Floor C

Woo/Lind Ceiling B/Floor D

and so on.

• Cheers 1

Hoglander     Pettersson   Boeser

Miller             Horvat         Podkolzon

Mcdonough  Gaudette     Lind

I am dying to see Hoglander and Petey playing together.  With Hughes on the ice at the same time we could see some really exciting hockey, like Edmonton Oilers 1980's stuff...

I think we have the makings of an incredible top 9 forward combination.  And Benning drafted 7 of them and traded for another.  With Hughes on the backend and Demko in net we have the makings of a perennial playoff team and Stanley Cup contender within 2-3 years.

• Huggy Bear 1

10 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Whose doesn’t? There is no perfect defenseman since Bobby Orr.

By whom? Doubt that it was people who actually watched him play. You don’t get the second highest +/- on the team by being poor on D. When you are playing big minutes at the critical times in games you don’t get a big +/- by being poor defensively. That duck does not fly, it’s a canard.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Whose doesn’t? There is no perfect defenseman since Bobby Orr.

By whom? Doubt that it was people who actually watched him play. You don’t get the second highest +/- on the team by being poor on D. When you are playing big minutes at the critical times in games you don’t get a big +/- by being poor defensively. That duck does not fly, it’s a canard.

I don't have a link but I'm certain I heard it right from Cull on a 650 interview.