The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

J.T. Miller | #9 | C/W

tan

Gonna be one of the more scrutinized acquisitions in all likelihood. Given we traded a 1st rounder for him. But I think he'll be one of the bigger contributors this season. Including Hughes. Hughes does most if not all his damage in scoring. Miller will give you physicality, playmaking, and two way play. He'll be a factor in any game even if he's not scoring. If anything he'll likely be a unsung hero candidate after this season. I am excited to see how this team does this season. Not a fan of how many lefties are on the team (specifically those projected to be in the top 6) but hey, if it works who cares?

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Prust, Hodgson, Kassian, and Pyatt as well.

Not a great history with that number. Toni Tanti is the only one who brought honour to it.

Talon, Lever, Bolderev, Tanti it had a pretty good run there for a while, but lately nobody wants the Rocket and Mr Hockey's number any more 

I really hope he breaks the #9 curse. It has been down hill since it went from Hodgson to Kassian then to Prust. Then Skille wore it for a year, and he isn’t really a guy that excite the fans. Then Leipsic wore it for a bit, and he came in showing glimpses of hope and promise but that quickly died out and didn’t end well. Please break that curse Miller.

• Haha 1

Long read for comparing first rounders from 17 OA to 30 OA from 2003 to 2015 (13 years) to JT Miller, who was drafted in 2011 (15 OA)...I've include his stats for 2011 year.

As you can see...it's not a guarantee that a 1st round pick will turn-out; however, there are good players taken between 17 to 30 OA...but you still have to compare the good players to JT Miller...

...because it's not a guarantee and because JT Miller is a 15 OA pick with good stats, I believe JB did well in the trade...however, we still need to compare to the player Tampa picks with Vancouver's 1st round pick to determine how good this trade will be. Currently, its a good trade, but it could end up being a great trade. Also, notice who Vancouver picked between this range...not a very good drafting record to say the least for picking 1st rounders.

2003.PNG

2004.PNG

2005.PNG

2006.PNG

2007.PNG

2008.PNG

2009.PNG

2010.PNG

2011 - JT Miller draft year

2011 - JT Miller draft.PNG

2012.PNG

2013.PNG

2014.PNG

2015.PNG

Edited by Pete M
  • Cheers 3

On 8/23/2019 at 6:42 PM, DeNiro said:

Prust, Hodgson, Kassian, and Pyatt as well.

Not a great history with that number. Toni Tanti is the only one who brought honour to it.

Dale Tallon, Don Lever. This the Canucks 50th season.

4 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

good work, puts the deal in perspective. Its also a hedged bet. If we miss the playoffs again this year, we keep the pick anyway. If the team is looking at lotto picks 2 drafts from now then the wheels have come off the rebuild and the team has bigger problems.

It was pretty obvious that the top 6 needed more size and grit and guys that can score. For Benning to get both Miller and Ferland for the cost of a conditional 1st and just free agency cash is impressive, and why he got the extension imo. 

it was a good offseason for sure...now the coach needs to put the lines together to find the best chemistry with these players.

As for comparing the trade, I guess. a reporter could ask JB what player he would select when it's time for Tampa to pick in Vancouver's spot, rather than, comparing to the player who Tampa picks....of course, only after the draft is over because JB wouldn't want to give away too much information...the player may still be there in the 2nd round when it's Canucks turn to pick.

Edited by Pete M

2 minutes ago, Pete M said:

it was a good offseason for sure...now the coach needs to put the lines together to find the best chemistry with these players.

As for comparing the trade, I guess. a reporter could ask JB what player he would select when it's time for Tampa to pick in Vancouver's spot, rather than, comparing to the player who Tampa picks.

well as of today there is one draft site that has us picking a tiny centre out of the OHL fwiw :lol: https://www.draftsite.com/nhl/mock-draft/2020/

If the pick goes to Tampa for 2020 it would be interesting to hear who JB or Brackett liked, not sure if they'd admit to it or not. 

9 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

well as of today there is one draft site that has us picking a tiny centre out of the OHL fwiw :lol: https://www.draftsite.com/nhl/mock-draft/2020/

If the pick goes to Tampa for 2020 it would be interesting to hear who JB or Brackett liked, not sure if they'd admit to it or not. 

The 2020 Draft is supposed to be one of the deepest in years. 

7 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

The 2020 Draft is supposed to be one of the deepest in years. 

we hear that a lot. Really with all the training and attention kids get now every draft year should be better than the last one. 

I don't see that as a reason not to do a deal either. 

• Cheers 1

• 2 weeks later...