The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

J.T. Miller | #9 | C/W

tan

On 1/14/2021 at 2:51 PM, 5Fivehole0 said:

This is because these tests are widely inaccurate. They have an astounding amount of false positives. For example, my brother and his family have had 3 tests each. My brother tested positive, negative positive; His wife tested positive negative negative; Their child tested negative positive negative. They all live in the same house, and have been quarantining to their best ability. Reports like this are common.

The tests are actually remarkably accurate at what they detect, which is viral rna.  The rate of 'false positives' is exceedingly low, but the rate of false negatives, especially at the early stage of infection, can be higher since the quantity of viral rna available at that time is low.  rt-PCR uses reverse transcriptase to multiply the amount of rna to detectable levels.  There is a factor called the 'cycle count' which is the number of doubling times used.  The more doubling times, the more rna that is available to be detected.  Early in the infection, false negatives can be as high as 100% on day 1, but that drops quickly each day as the virus multiplies.  That's why multiple tests are often done.  There's a balancing act to be done with cycle count - too high and you get too many false positives weeks after the infection is over, too low and you get false negatives well into the infectious period.

A positive test means you definitely have viral rna in your system in the spot the swab was taken.  It might mean that you are infectious or it might mean you were exposed and are no longer infectious.  To be safe, you are quarantined for 14 days as that is typically the length required to no longer be infectious after a positive test.

https://www.fda.gov/media/134920/download

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Blömqvist said:

According to the Canucks Instagram account, Miller is practicing with the team in Calgary today. I would assume he will play tomorrow unless there is another issue that we are unaware of.

Hope not but ... if not it 's probably "undisclosed" "out of an abundance of caution" "in line with protocol" blah blah blah 

17 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Miller inching his way towards the top 100 in all-time Canuck scoring

107.  Michel Petit D 226 24 57 81
108.  J.T. Miller LW 75 29 51 80
109.  Peter Schaefer LW 194 37 40 77

Still over a point-per-game! What a player.

• Cheers 2

20 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Don't think anyone expected that after the trade.  I think most of us would've been happy with a 60pt player.

I think I predicted something around 56 points or something. It ended up being such a big deal for us.

53 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Don't think anyone expected that after the trade.  I think most of us would've been happy with a 60pt player.

By the ridiculous reaction, you'd think 'most' were expecting a 30-40 point third liner :rolleyes:

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

By the ridiculous reaction, you'd think 'most' were expecting a 30-40 point third liner :rolleyes:

I think most didn't really know who JT Miller was. The reaction happens before the evaluation sometimes I think.

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I think most didn't really know who JT Miller was. The reaction happens before the evaluation sometimes I think.

Oh, I'm well aware of how CDC operates :lol:

Didn't stop a great number of yahoos from making absolute claims out of said sheer ignorance.

Even worse was the media doing the same thing. They're paid to not be completely ignorant, panicky arsehats.

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I think I predicted something around 56 points or something. It ended up being such a big deal for us.

I predicted he would have a career year if he got to play with Petey. He had already demonstrated in Tampa that he was a point per game guy when he got top quality linemates.

2 hours ago, TNucks1 said:

JT Miller angry - https://streamable.com/lc0uqj

Play whistle to whistle. Stop complaining in the middle of a play. Yell after the play or while you're hustling back if you need to.

Just not a fan of how he stopped focusing on the play and it could've potentially led to another goal, with how things are going.

Edited by MrCanuck94