The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

J.T. Miller | #9 | C/W

tan

10 hours ago, spook007 said:

Absolutely, and very likely you'll be right, but if it Lind and Maybe Godjovic, Lockwood etc are on the team, I can live with another down year, but after that, all the anchor contract are gone as well as penalties, and then things has to change...

Agree on accountability, and that it should be for everyone on the team. And I'm certain that Miller will be the first to hold his hand up, for what's been happening. If Green had had the horses, he may even have been giving him a rest day or two, but just don't think that's possible with all the issues they have just now...

I hope 2023 is a very very down year for the team. If there was a year to really tank, that would be the one. Connor Bedard looks like an absolute megastar

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, filthycanuck said:

I hope 2023 is a very very down year for the team. If there was a year to really tank, that would be the one. Connor Bedard looks like an absolute megastar

Absolutely... Have feeling we won’t suck as bad in 2023. But yes the Bedard kids stats looks crazy good. Was Mickov going to be in the same draft as well? 

I think there could be more than a few teams tanking heavily, to be in with a shout for the boy. Would be great to have the next Crosby/McD on the team... with our draft luck, I’d give next to zero chance :P...unfortunately. 

Edited by spook007

8 hours ago, spook007 said:

Absolutely... Have feeling we won’t suck as bad in 2023. But yes the Bedard kids stats looks crazy good. Was Mickov going to be in the same draft as well? 

I think there could be more than a few teams tanking heavily, to be in with a shout for the boy. Would be great to have the next Crosby/McD on the team... with our draft luck, I’d give next to zero chance :P...unfortunately. 

As much fun as it is to fantasize (despite the unlikely shot of winning the lotto anyway), we don't really need any other 'top of the lineup' players (beyond the D we likely get this draft). We wouldn't be able to keep/play them all if we did.

• Vintage 1

49 minutes ago, aGENT said:

As much fun as it is to fantasize (despite the unlikely shot of winning the lotto anyway), we don't really need any other 'top of the lineup' players (beyond the D we likely get this draft). We wouldn't be able to keep/play them all if we did.

True it always nice to fantasize... It would be nice though to get that kind of talent come into the system. I think it would make trading a Miller, Horvat or the likes possible, and give the GM some flexibility Cap wise. Never a bad thing, but yes get what you’re saying. 

25 minutes ago, spook007 said:

True it always nice to fantasize... It would be nice though to get that kind of talent come into the system. I think it would make trading a Miller, Horvat or the likes possible, and give the GM some flexibility Cap wise. Never a bad thing, but yes get what you’re saying. 

Exactly. I'd imagine the plan is to likely move Miller in his expiring year anyway unless he takes a sweetheart deal. You can only pay so many top 6 guys, top 6 dollars. And by then, the likes of Hoglander and Podkolzin should be acclimated.

• Upvote 2

On 5/6/2021 at 2:40 AM, spook007 said:

Yeah Michkov is in the same draft. That kid is really really good too, first glance of him, he moves like Sidney Crosby. Im all for team tank that season I'll tell you that much. Knowing the NHL, they'll screw us over in the draft. We finish last and suprise surprise, lottery ball says we pick 4th, and some dumba$$ city that the NHL wants to prop up ie. Phoenix, Detroit, or Columbus gets #1. I still think the NHL massively fixed the Sidney Crosby draft

• Like 1

2 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

Yeah Michkov is in the same draft. That kid is really really good too, first glance of him, he moves like Sidney Crosby. Im all for team tank that season I'll tell you that much. Knowing the NHL, they'll screw us over in the draft. We finish last and suprise surprise, lottery ball says we pick 4th, and some dumba$$ city that the NHL wants to prop up ie. Phoenix, Detroit, or Columbus gets #1. I still think the NHL massively fixed the Sidney Crosby draft

I agree, I also believe its rigged... Would be easier to believe, if there weren't so many odd decisions within the NHL... 

On 5/8/2021 at 5:07 AM, spook007 said:

I agree, I also believe its rigged... Would be easier to believe, if there weren't so many odd decisions within the NHL... 

I was playing the draft simulation and it has us picking at #7 at this point.  Maybe it is our year to get the #1 pick this off-season.  I would love too be able to take Luke Hughes.B)

• Cheers 1

After watching Miller take a hooking penalty tonight, it occurred to me that it feels like he takes quite a few penalties. Sure enough when I look at net penalties/60 (drawn-taken), he's 2nd last on the team of anyone with 10+ games this year at -0.71. While Miller does take quite a few penalties, he particularly doesn't draw many, being 3rd last among forwards with 10+ games in that stat.

Compared to last year, I was surprised to find that the difference wasn't actually huge, but Miller was 11th out of 17 forwards with at least 10 games last year in net penalties/60 at -0.17, which is still better.

For some context, the top three forwards on the team in this stat in 2019-20 were Pettersson, Leivo, and Sutter, in that order and this year so far, it's Boyd, Pettersson, and Vesey (Sutter is 4th). Roussel has been dead last for both of the last two years.

3 hours ago, -AJ- said:

After watching Miller take a hooking penalty tonight, it occurred to me that it feels like he takes quite a few penalties. Sure enough when I look at net penalties/60 (drawn-taken), he's 2nd last on the team of anyone with 10+ games this year at -0.71. While Miller does take quite a few penalties, he particularly doesn't draw many, being 3rd last among forwards with 10+ games in that stat.

Compared to last year, I was surprised to find that the difference wasn't actually huge, but Miller was 11th out of 17 forwards with at least 10 games last year in net penalties/60 at -0.17, which is still better.

For some context, the top three forwards on the team in this stat in 2019-20 were Pettersson, Leivo, and Sutter, in that order and this year so far, it's Boyd, Pettersson, and Vesey (Sutter is 4th). Roussel has been dead last for both of the last two years.

He's definitely a high-risk/high reward-type player. But, I don't think there's anyone else on the squad that brings it like he does, and, I get sick of hearing Corey Hirsch dog him every week because he shows emotion after making a mistake. Contrast that with what happened tonight after Demko gave up that 3rd or 4th goal ( I forget which), and clearly "showed emotion" in frustration towards his teammates, and gets a pass. But, Miller does it out of frustration at himself and people want to run him out of town. I think he's on the verge of being the Canucks best 2nd line C since Kesler if he doesn't get traded within the next year. Yes, I know EP centres the 2nd line (when healthy), but, hopefully, the next head coach will realise he's a legitimate sniper wasting away at C and will move him back to the wing. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

7 hours ago, dpn1 said:

I was playing the draft simulation and it has us picking at #7 at this point.  Maybe it is our year to get the #1 pick this off-season.  I would love too be able to take Luke Hughes.B)

Wouldn’t it just be typical Canucks luck to get 1 OA the year, nobody knows for sure who really is the best player available. 
Nevertheless lets hope it happens, as we are in need of more talent coming through... 

2 hours ago, Fakename70 said:

He's definitely a high-risk/high reward-type player. But, I don't think there's anyone else on the squad that brings it like he does, and, I get sick of hearing Corey Hirsch dog him every week because he shows emotion after making a mistake. Contrast that with what happened tonight after Demko gave up that 3rd or 4th goal ( I forget which), and clearly "showed emotion" in frustration towards his teammates, and gets a pass. But, Miller does it out of frustration at himself and people want to run him out of town. I think he's on the verge of being the Canucks best 2nd line C since Kesler if he doesn't get traded within the next year. Yes, I know EP centres the 2nd line (when healthy), but, hopefully, the next head coach will realise he's a legitimate sniper wasting away at C and will move him back to the wing. 

Don't mind him showing emotion but too often he just stops playing and whines. That's not ok and there are multiple examples of this each game. So while loving the trade last year - obviously - a bit more mixed feelings now, especially since I'm not sure his peak aligns with the contending window.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Fakename70 said:

I do love Miller and actually think he's being underrated this year overall, but it's an interesting way to see his frustration play out statistically.

5 hours ago, J-P said:

Don't mind him showing emotion but too often he just stops playing and whines. That's not ok and there are multiple examples of this each game. So while loving the trade last year - obviously - a bit more mixed feelings now, especially since I'm not sure his peak aligns with the contending window.

I'd beperfectly fine with them moving Miller for a tidy return. I'm getting tired of his attitude

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

Miller appears to be a miserable SOB,  I imagine he would be difficult to be around. Sure, sometimes he tries and goes to war so to speak, but there have been many times he gave up on backchecking, getting back to save a goal. He's made a lot of bad mistakes. I agree that if VAN could get a good return for him, they should trade him. There needs to be more positivity around this team. 

6 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

we have 3 good centers on this team and JT is one of them. miller would be perfect mentoring podkolzin on his nhl career. i'ld rather see the canucks find a physical winger to compliment petey and boeser than trying to find a center who can carry and drive a line. i'ld much rather see us ice 3 scoring lines and 1 checking line than 2 and 2. just my opinion.

I think we'd need to get a very good 4C to make this work, as that guy will be needed to take a lot of the defensive draws. We don't have that guy anymore and we might be able to get away with some of the size we have now in MacEwan and Graovac. 

On 2/1/2020 at 5:17 PM, Mathew Barzal said:

Miller is kind of what I hoped Goldobin would turn into. A guy who's production masks the fact that he has like 5 brutal turnovers a game. 

Miller honestly makes so many bone headed plays but his work ethic and offensive contributions make up for it and then some.

I called out his recklessness with the puck before it was cool. Where's my hipster card?

EDIT: Also, real Kesler vibes from this guy. He's clearly a sarcastic, overly-emotional douchebag but man can he play the game of hockey.

Edited by Mathew Barzal
  • Haha 1