The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

J.T. Miller | #9 | C/W

tan

1 hour ago, Mathew Barzal said:

I called out his recklessness with the puck before it was cool. Where's my hipster card?

EDIT: Also, real Kesler vibes from this guy. He's clearly a sarcastic, overly-emotional douchebag but man can he play the game of hockey.

I absolutely get Kesler vibes. Hyper-competitive and real emotional.

• Cheers 1

15 hours ago, Fakename70 said:

He's definitely a high-risk/high reward-type player. But, I don't think there's anyone else on the squad that brings it like he does, and, I get sick of hearing Corey Hirsch dog him every week because he shows emotion after making a mistake. Contrast that with what happened tonight after Demko gave up that 3rd or 4th goal ( I forget which), and clearly "showed emotion" in frustration towards his teammates, and gets a pass. But, Miller does it out of frustration at himself and people want to run him out of town. I think he's on the verge of being the Canucks best 2nd line C since Kesler if he doesn't get traded within the next year. Yes, I know EP centres the 2nd line (when healthy), but, hopefully, the next head coach will realise he's a legitimate sniper wasting away at C and will move him back to the wing. 

Just read about some of the stuff Hirsch was saying, just some awful takes. Thinks that we don’t win with guys like that? We finally get a player with some fire and he wants to trade it away lol. Unreal. 

2 hours ago, Kenny Blankenship said:

Just read about some of the stuff Hirsch was saying, just some awful takes. Thinks that we don’t win with guys like that? We finally get a player with some fire and he wants to trade it away lol. Unreal. 

I take anything he says with a grain of salt. He was an 8th round pick in 1991; played in the NHL mostly as a back up and had a NHL career save percentage of .896. Only lasted 3 years as a goalie coach before moving on to being a sports analyst. Has not been stellar in any of these incarnations IMO.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Mathew Barzal said:

I called out his recklessness with the puck before it was cool. Where's my hipster card?

EDIT: Also, real Kesler vibes from this guy. He's clearly a sarcastic, overly-emotional douchebag but man can he play the game of hockey.

I don't get the douchebag statement, but he sure has proven that he is a player that everyone wants on their team during playoffs.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

I wouldn’t judge a guy on this season. The whole year was a mess - professionally, and personally. Everybody is struggling with the craziness of this pandemic in different ways.

Miller watched his former team win the Cup, then got stuck in a country he couldn’t leave to see his family, then has his main line mate struggle for a 1/3 of the season, then miss the rest of the season. And the team has flat-out sucked. If he’s not happy about the situation, then good - he shouldn’t be.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

16 hours ago, Kenny Blankenship said:

fire is good if channeled the right way.  I don't think the way Miller and Kesler channel it is healthy for a team.

On 5/14/2021 at 3:18 PM, -AJ- said:

I absolutely get Kesler vibes. Hyper-competitive and real emotional.

Rather have that than a guy who doesn't give a $hit ie: Edler. Edler is one of our worst defencemen this season next to Chatfield. We've seen Edler mess up time and time again, he's never shown any emotion like he cares about the game. Just the same stupid look skating back to the bench

23 minutes ago, filthycanuck said:

Rather have that than a guy who doesn't give a $hit ie: Edler. Edler is one of our worst defencemen this season next to Chatfield. We've seen Edler mess up time and time again, he's never shown any emotion like he cares about the game. Just the same stupid look skating back to the bench

I think some guys also just don't show their emotions outwardly as much and you won't see it by their faces or dramatics as much.

That said, as a fan, I do appreciate seeing the emotion of a big fist pump by Horvat when he scores or the determination on the face of Myers as he defends a teammate etc.

On 5/16/2021 at 1:29 AM, Captain Canuck #12 said:

You love that 'fire' if you're winning; hate it if you're losing.  It's far from black and white.

Thats because fire is a useful tool when controlled, but can burn you if you're not careful.

You want guys with fire when you're winning because it helps you keep winning. Thats because winning smooths over any problems. If you aren't winning however, that fire can cause damage to your team as well. Its a cost/benefit thing. There' also a difference between having "fire" and being a pain to be around when things aren't going your way. I'm not saying this is the case with Miller, just speaking broadly on the topic.

On Miller specifically, I wouldn't make any sweeping decisions based on the absolute disaster that was this season, but going forward if he still looks to have attitude problems, I would absolutely send him packing. I know hockey is supposed to be a tough guy sport and at the NHL level it isn't about how much fun you're having, but one guy with a miserable attitude can cause it flare up in the room. It can exacerbate some already prevalent issues and cause players to resent coming to the rink, and that can absolutely tank a team's chance of success.

• Like 1

On 5/6/2021 at 11:05 AM, aGENT said:

As much fun as it is to fantasize (despite the unlikely shot of winning the lotto anyway), we don't really need any other 'top of the lineup' players (beyond the D we likely get this draft). We wouldn't be able to keep/play them all if we did.

I would be ok with choosing someone else to go to get Bedard though.

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Pettersson

Miller

Horvat

Graovac/Jasek

Just gotta fill out the wings

Horvat is too good to be on the 3rd line, IMO. He'd be wasted with mediocre line mates.

• Cheers 2

Just now, -AJ- said:

Horvat is too good to be on the 3rd line, IMO. He'd be wasted with mediocre line mates.

That’s two second lines.

He’d be getting as many minutes as Miller if not more.

As it stands right now we don’t have the center depth and we don’t wanna be overspending in free agency. This is likely what we see as Miller has stated he wants to stay at center.

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

That’s two second lines.

As it stands right now we don’t have the center depth and we don’t wanna be overspending in free agency. This is likely what we see as Miller has stated he wants to stay at center.

It's entirely possible, but I really don't think Horvat himself can carry teammates to make 3rd-line wingers into 2nd-line wingers. All we'd likely see is a big drop off in offense from Horvat and some frustration. What wingers would he have? Assuming Hoglander mvoes up to play with Petey and Boeser, that leaves Pearson and...Highmore for the 2nd line? What for the 3rd line? Boyd and Sutter? It's really lacking IMO unless those guys take a big jump. There's a chance Podkolzin is ready to jump in, but we can't be certain of that yet.

I do think Miller likes centre far more though and plays better in that position as well. It's a bit of a conundrum, but I think we'd lose too much by demoting Horvat to playing with line mates that aren't 2nd-line calibre.

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

That’s two second lines.

I’d put Miller on the 3rd line. 

Keep Horvat/Pearson together and Petey/Boeser. 

Pod-Petey-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Lind

Gadjovich-Miller-Hoglander

Motte-?????-Mac

Each rookie plays with 2 solid players. 3rd line is inexperienced but would be getting easier minutes 5v5. I bet Hog/Miller eat up secondary lines/pairings 5v5 and Gadjo could be a finisher for them. 

Pretty much lines that help develop players. Keep #1 PP personnel the same. 

• Cheers 3

Just now, -AJ- said:

It's entirely possible, but I really don't think Horvat himself can carry teammates to make 3rd-line wingers into 2nd-line wingers. All we'd likely see is a big drop off in offense from Horvat and some frustration. What wingers would he have? Assuming Hoglander mvoes up to play with Petey and Boeser, that leaves Pearson and...Highmore for the 2nd line? What for the 3rd line? Boyd and Sutter? It's really lacking IMO unless those guys take a big jump. There's a chance Podkolzin is ready to jump in, but we can't be certain of that yet.

I do think Miller likes centre far more though and plays better in that position as well. It's a bit of a conundrum, but I think we'd lose too much by demoting Horvat to playing with line mates that aren't 2nd-line calibre.

I’d spread it out. Obviously we’re gonna have to make a signing and/or trade to fill out the wings.

Maybe we get lucky in the draft and a player surprises in camp who knows?

Trade Pettersson Boeser

Hoglander Miller UFA

Pearson Horvat Podkolzin

I see us needing two top 6 forwards to really compete. I think Horvat can get his points from anywhere to be honest. He’ll still get first unit pp time and like I said would probably get more minutes than Miller most nights.

I like the idea of two “second lines” competing for ice time as well. Both of them know their play will dictate who the second line is that night.

24 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I’d spread it out. Obviously we’re gonna have to make a signing and/or trade to fill out the wings.

Maybe we get lucky in the draft and a player surprises in camp who knows?

Trade Pettersson Boeser

Hoglander Miller UFA

Pearson Horvat Podkolzin

I see us needing two top 6 forwards to really compete. I think Horvat can get his points from anywhere to be honest. He’ll still get first unit pp time and like I said would probably get more minutes than Miller most nights.

I like the idea of two “second lines” competing for ice time as well. Both of them know their play will dictate who the second line is that night.

I will give you this--there are plenty of examples of top-end teams with excellent 3rd line centres that are closer to 2nd-line guys or even better. Jordan Staal on the Penguins of 2009 comes to mind. The Penguins in the mid 90s also often had three really excellent centres. It does happen, but more often on top-end teams. Even the current Penguins have an embarrassment of riches when it comes to offensive centremen.

1 hour ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I would be ok with choosing someone else to go to get Bedard though.

Sure.

I thought you were opposed to planning for best case/fantasy scenarios?

Edited by aGENT

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

Sure.

I thought you were opposed to planning for best case/fantasy scenarios?

If I was GM of the Canucks? I am.

If I am just a fan on cdc? Its a bit different.

My opinion is its kind of interesting to say we dont need a generational superstar because we wont be able to pay him or others. Our core is pretty good but not nearly that good. If that kid turns out as good as he looks like he will, you make room.

And honestly, I am not a tank on purpose guy but that would be the year to do it.

Edited by wallstreetamigo