The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

J.T. Miller | #9 | C/W

tan

4 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

but I'm so confused, our media guys said he wanted to leave? is it possible the media is full of bs? 

Didn't the media say the team was going to let go of Green and Benning, and "big changes were coming"? 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Haha 1

On 5/21/2021 at 2:35 PM, 73 Percent said:

He not perfect I get it. But other also have to understand how hes wired. Just because hes mad doesnt mean hes unhappy here. 

After years of the twins it's like Vancouver fans forgot what emotion looks like.

I wish more of them had his emotion.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Didn't the media say the team was going to let go of Green and Benning, and "big changes were coming"? 

they sure did. Apparently a "crowd" of about 20 losers showed up to the anti-Benning protest yesterday at Rogers :lol::picard: 

• Haha 4

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/15/2021 at 8:20 AM, stawns said:

fire is good if channeled the right way.  I don't think the way Miller and Kesler channel it is healthy for a team.

Sorry I'm just now seeing your reply. I don't think losing is healthy for a team, either. This franchise typically is full of boring and nice guys with no fire. I think that's why guys like Kesler and Miller stand out. This market tends to gravitate more towards guys who are scrubbed clean enough to bring home to meet the grandparents. But, I'll never be convinced those are always the best players to have if your favourite team is even remotely interested in winning a championship.

• Huggy Bear 1

On 5/14/2021 at 5:54 PM, Kootenay Gold said:

I take anything he says with a grain of salt. He was an 8th round pick in 1991; played in the NHL mostly as a back up and had a NHL career save percentage of .896. Only lasted 3 years as a goalie coach before moving on to being a sports analyst. Has not been stellar in any of these incarnations IMO.

I thought Alex Auld did a good job in the booth before they hired Hirsch. Corey's definitely in love with the sound of his own voice and jokes. I sometimes get the sense that Batchelor just tunes him out. Particularly, when Hirsch is busy chuckling at his own jokes. 

On 5/21/2021 at 11:27 AM, khay said:

He's gotta do a better job of holding himself accountable too.

He gets frustrated way too much on the ice. A lot of the times, he should move his a$$ after turning the puck over. He doesn't. Instead, he just stands there and gets mad at himself. That's not holding yourself accountable.

He has to go back to how he was in his first year here. He was grounded, played hard, played within his limits. Now, he is trying to play as if though he is Mario Lemieux.

Where does he do a poor job of "holding himself accountable", though? I'd love to know what you mean by that. And, if he was guilty this season of "trying to play as if though he is Mario Lemieux", maybe you failed to notice he was likely asked and expected to do more in the absence of Pettersson?

1 hour ago, Fakename70 said:

Where does he do a poor job of "holding himself accountable", though? I'd love to know what you mean by that. And, if he was guilty this season of "trying to play as if though he is Mario Lemieux", maybe you failed to notice he was likely asked and expected to do more in the absence of Pettersson?

I like Miller. The guy is intense, and we need a player like that on the roster. Yes, sometimes he can say things and gets angry. But I’d rather have a player who is hard on himself and demands that he be better than a player like, well, Virtanen. Who doesn’t seem to care at all and seems to just be riding on his privilege as an NHL player. Miller will get himself intro trouble sometimes, but I like that the pros often outweigh whatever cons there might be with the guy. He’s a keeper, and he’s on a good contract. He makes this team better. Could we trade him? Yeah, we definitely could, and I think there’s a lot of other GM’s that would love him on their roster, but what would we get back? And would we get back a player of Miller’s caliber? 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Fakename70 said:

Turning the puck over at the opposition's blue line, followed by just standing there and getting frustrated at himself. That's not accountability.

He gets frustrated at the refs for not making a call instead of back checking and getting the puck back.

He stick handles at places where he shouldn't as if though he's Mario, resulting in turnovers.

IMO, playing as a winger seems to simplify the game tremendously for Miller. He makes a lot of good plays as a winger that he doesn't as a center.

Miller is the least of our worries. With him, he only needs to learn to tweak his game... or more specifically, his emotions.

Despite the suggestion that he isn't great as a center, I think he is just fine. His faceoff % is good too. In fact, if we just had better winger depth I'd love to see him as our 3rd line center, and he would of course contribute on special teams as well. That's literally 3 1st line centers to drive 3 individual lines at all times. Then of course Beagle, with his single digit contributions...

...but alas, we don't have that kind of depth. But it does show that Benning has an option at center and if he chooses, could focus his attention on wingers as well.

3 hours ago, khay said:

Turning the puck over at the opposition's blue line, followed by just standing there and getting frustrated at himself. That's not accountability.

He gets frustrated at the refs for not making a call instead of back checking and getting the puck back.

He stick handles at places where he shouldn't as if though he's Mario, resulting in turnovers.

IMO, playing as a winger seems to simplify the game tremendously for Miller. He makes a lot of good plays as a winger that he doesn't as a center.

Again, the absence of Pettersson as a linemate greatly affects and increases his responsibilities. Particularly if Green doesn't seem to trust/have anyone else to fill the void on that line. Not sure who you think could/would be better. This team does not currently have anyone other than Horvat and the Lotto line who are proven and legitimate NHL calibre top-6 forwards. Not for a team that has playoff aspirations for next season, it doesn't. Sorry. And, speaking of playing as a winger, I'd love to see the team convert Pettersson back to that, as I don't think he's the playmaker Miller is, just as Miller isn't the sniper Pettersson is. And, I think you and the rest of the CDC-get-rid-of-Miller crowd (if you're part of that) are fooling yourselves if you believe his high-risk/high-reward style is as unattractive to other NHL coaches and GM's as it is to CDC'rs and Corey Hirsch. It would be fitting, but not-at-all-surprising to see him moved and flourish elsewhere. But, fortunately, Green showed this season that he has his back. One of his few admirable qualities as head coach of this team. 

14 hours ago, Fakename70 said:

Again, the absence of Pettersson as a linemate greatly affects and increases his responsibilities. Particularly if Green doesn't seem to trust/have anyone else to fill the void on that line. Not sure who you think could/would be better. This team does not currently have anyone other than Horvat and the Lotto line who are proven and legitimate NHL calibre top-6 forwards. Not for a team that has playoff aspirations for next season, it doesn't. Sorry. And, speaking of playing as a winger, I'd love to see the team convert Pettersson back to that, as I don't think he's the playmaker Miller is, just as Miller isn't the sniper Pettersson is. And, I think you and the rest of the CDC-get-rid-of-Miller crowd (if you're part of that) are fooling yourselves if you believe his high-risk/high-reward style is as unattractive to other NHL coaches and GM's as it is to CDC'rs and Corey Hirsch. It would be fitting, but not-at-all-surprising to see him moved and flourish elsewhere. But, fortunately, Green showed this season that he has his back. One of his few admirable qualities as head coach of this team. 

This post is the very definition of feeding words into other person's mouth. 

It's a joke of a post. But I'll respond to it anyways.

1. All I'm saying is I prefer Petey as center over Miller. I am not suggesting we should have tried someone else as a center in Petey's absence because there really wasn't an option. I'm saying that moving forward, let's put Petey at C and Miller on the wing. First example of feeding words into my mouth: I never claimed we should have tried someone else at C last sesaon, I'm saying next season, let's put Miller back on wing.

2. I love Miller and his compete level. But as a center he has far too many responsibilities and gets frustrated when it doesn't go his way.  Second example of feeding words into my mouth: I don't want to get rid of Miller. He is a powerforward with skill that we badly need on this team.

3. Petey at center has shown to handle the responsibilities far better. Miller can make plays as a winger no problem. Kucherov makes plays all the time as a center and Stamkos snipes as a center. This notion that wingers snipe and centers make plays is very much outdated.

4. Referencing NHL coaches and GMs to make your point?  Are you serious? Are you one of them? Did you even poll them regarding Miller? laughable lol Again, I never said Miller would be undesirable by other teams: another example of feeding words into my mouth.

I think you need to improve your reading comprehension.

No one wants to get rid of Miller. He is a valuable part of this team.

The debatable point for me and many others is whether he should continue to be deployed as a center or a winger.

You are free to have your opinion and I'm entitled to mine without some random person feeding words into my mouth and segregate me into some non-existent get rid of Miller" crowd.

IMO, if Miller is on the first line, then it should be as a winger with Petey as a C. That's all.

If we don't sign a 3C, then Miller can perhaps be placed in that role if he really wants to play C. But I think Miller as a winger can put up 70-80 points playing with Brock and Petey but maybe not as much if he has to handle tough 3C, defending against 1st lines and PK. Speaking of PK, I think he is an excellent on PK.

I'd rather we get a 3C with some offensive upside that can also play a shutdown role. Maybe like Danault and let Miller do what he is good at: making plays and scoring.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
8 hours ago, wexcar said:

This guy must be super pissed, gets traded from Tampa and they go on to win the next 2 Stanley cups.......

They probably wouldn’t have won with him.

They needed his cap space to add more depth. Not to mention our 1st was used to add Coleman who was a key contributor.

• Cheers 1

• 4 weeks later...