The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

J.T. Miller | #9 | C/W

tan

44 minutes ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

Why is there negative vibes around this guy ? Bad in the room ? Does he have a history ? Looks like an effective player and worth the money he's getting.

He had a history of making simple mistakes (bobbling the puck, being slow on the backcheck) and then just being very frustrated. He's a bit of a black and white player sometimes, but I personally love his emotional intensity.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/3/2021 at 5:45 PM, -AJ- said:

He had a history of making simple mistakes (bobbling the puck, being slow on the backcheck) and then just being very frustrated. He's a bit of a black and white player sometimes, but I personally love his emotional intensity.

That's actually a fair assessment of the guy. Keyword: intensity. He's the only Canuck forward who seems to possess it, and, gets bagged on for it (yes, Corey Hirsch, I'm talking about YOU). I've always liked his game before he became a Canuck, and, really respect that he actually seems to care on the ice. It's not something one can say about every top-6'r on this team these days. 

Vancouver being Vancouver, my ultimate fear is that he'll be traded for someone "nice". 

On 10/19/2021 at 3:57 AM, McBackup said:

I think there's a fine line in terms of moodiness, and I don't like the way people are handwaving away some of the reactions as "caring". It insinuates players who aren't acting like that don't care. You can want to win and care a lot without being petulant or throwing a tantrum. Linden never did that. Is anyone going to argue Linden wasn't a "warrior".

I'm not accusing Miller of anything either. I'm just saying I don't think its the best argument.

Thing is, some have used slamming doors and swearing as signs he's an issue.  So the flip side to your argument is to say that he's just showing emotion and cares.  There are different types...but I think the takeaway in all of this is that JT is showing he cares by his on ice performance, so the "moodiness" is irrelevant.   People make too much of it in a bad way and some of us are just offering a counter argument to that.

He does have moments where he gives up on plays when he's frustrated (although not nearly as much recently) and some of his no look passes can be problematic.  But I don't think you can deny this is a guy who "cares".  I've seen floaters who don't care and are just cashing the pay cheque...JT certainly isn't one of them.

You throw out "petulant and throwing a tantrum" so I think it's fair game to address that.

14 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

If they even think about moving JT they're nuts....you need the players with passion and emotion who are producing.  Who's leading the way and giving them any chance of hope right now?  (Hoglander, Demko, JT). 

I understand the passion and production. 

But even with his passion and on ice production, what if he's the cancer in the room? You really want a player like that around the other guys? 

if he's the alpha dog that Hirsch was talking about that isn't buying in, then we need to move him. If he's producing, even better that we get a better haul for the guy. He's also probably not in the long term plans for the Canucks. Miller is 28, he's going to want a long contract after the one he's on is over. Going to cash in. If the team wasn't willing to sign Markström to a long term contract, why is signing Miller to a 7 year contract any different? He's also probably going to be paid 7-8M. We can't afford that. Not unless we're moving out other pieces, like Boeser or Horvat, or both. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

Thing is, some have used slamming doors and swearing as signs he's an issue.  So the flip side to your argument is to say that he's just showing emotion and cares.  There are different types...but I think the takeaway in all of this is that JT is showing he cares by his on ice performance, so the "moodiness" is irrelevant.   People make too much of it in a bad way and some of us are just offering a counter argument to that.

He does have moments where he gives up on plays when he's frustrated (although not nearly as much recently) and some of his no look passes can be problematic.  But I don't think you can deny this is a guy who "cares".  I've seen floaters who don't care and are just cashing the pay cheque...JT certainly isn't one of them.

You throw out "petulant and throwing a tantrum" so I think it's fair game to address that.

If a teen was throwing tantrums on his/her high school team, would that be acceptable? Would we say that individual is just filled with passion and that he/she cares about the team and her teammates and the game? I want people with passion, yes, I want them to care, but there's also a professionalism as well. Throwing tantrums or being "moody" for teens and young people wouldn't necessarily be something we'd be okay with, and if that's true, then how can we say it's acceptable for an adult in professional hockey? 

I like JT as a player. I am sure he's an amazing man and husband, and dad to his kids. 

I kind of compare it to Torts. Tortorella was a coach that definitely and absolutely had passion. It came out wrong. He misrepresented this amazing city, and this organization. A lot of fans didn't agree with his "passion". He hated to lose, I can understand that, but it still doesn't justify his behavior, his moodiness or his tantrums he threw behind the bench during games, post-games, etc. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

Who's leading the way and giving them any chance of hope right now?  (Hoglander, Demko, JT). 

I don't know if we as fans can really say. We aren't privy to what's going on in the locker room. The leadership of this team is really young, if you think about it. Horvat is 26 years old. To see someone at 26 as captain of a Canadian NHL franchise is crazy to me. 

If I"m not mistaken. Hank was 30 years old when he became captain. 

https://www.nhl.com/canucks/news/henrik-sedin-named-canucks-team-captain/c-540121

37 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

I don't know if we as fans can really say. We aren't privy to what's going on in the locker room. The leadership of this team is really young, if you think about it. Horvat is 26 years old. To see someone at 26 as captain of a Canadian NHL franchise is crazy to me. 

If I"m not mistaken. Hank was 30 years old when he became captain. 

https://www.nhl.com/canucks/news/henrik-sedin-named-canucks-team-captain/c-540121

It's not really that uncommon to have a captain as young as Horvat.

McDavid was named captain at just 20 years old.

Smyl was named captain at 25 years old.

Linden was named captain at 21 years old.

Iginla was named captain at 26 years old.

Brady Tkachuk was named captain at 22 years old.

It's not super common, but also not really that rare either. There's a healthy mix of captains named in their 30s and younger long-term captains named in their early-mid 20s.

37 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

It's not really that uncommon to have a captain as young as Horvat.

McDavid was named captain at just 20 years old.

Smyl was named captain at 25 years old.

Linden was named captain at 21 years old.

Iginla was named captain at 26 years old.

Brady Tkachuk was named captain at 22 years old.

It's not super common, but also not really that rare either. There's a healthy mix of captains named in their 30s and younger long-term captains named in their early-mid 20s.

but I wonder if Bo's was ready for the role you know. 

3 hours ago, -DLC- said:

I'm not at all insinuating Miller doesn't care. He clearly does. I just think the antics are a bit much. Halford and Brough had a good point about it this morning. Why are the outbursts so 'performative' for lack of a better term? We've had a lot of guys on our team who are moody before, but they weren't going out of their way to show just how upset they are. You could look at it as showing the team that poor performance is unacceptable, but I think it does the opposite.

JT is clearly a leader on this team, and you would want your leaders to be somewhat collected and good examples for players to follow. The odd outburst from a leader may light a fire under your belly, but if its happening every game its just going to make for a more uncomfortable work environment. Have you ever played a round of golf with someone who loses their mind after every bad shot? Or a video game with someone who screams and smashes the controller after losing a round? They're not fun to play with, and I think it may end up creating further tension on a team thats clearly still not over the dressing room issues of last year. 

13 hours ago, -DLC- said:

If they even think about moving JT they're nuts....you need the players with passion and emotion who are producing.  Who's leading the way and giving them any chance of hope right now?  (Hoglander, Demko, JT). 

I really like Miller but as we have all seen his frustration and body language can be over the top? Have you ever worked with someone with personality like Miller"s?

Well after while other co workers get affected and can start scared to make mistakes...'I personally would trade Miller this summer?

Its about salary cap and return of 1st rounder and top end prospect..

We have several players to resign,,

Boeser- summer 2022 - 7 yrs X 7.9 -- 8.3 million range

Horvat - summer 2023- 7 yrs X 7.1 --7.7 million range

Hoglander - Summer 2023  3 million --4.5 range could be more depending on his stats?

Petey - summer 2024 ??

Someone will have to be moved out of the top 5 players..

Either Boeser or Miller ?  Keep  Boeser younger by 3 yrs.....

• Cheers 1

If Miller was directing his anger/frustration at teammates, then I would have a problem with it. However, it usually seems to me that he is frustrated with himself when we see these emotional displays from him. If that is how he gets himself into the game or more focused then I don't have an issue with that. 

I keep seeing people mentioning that JT might be the alpha dog that isn't buying into the system. If Miller wasn't buying into the system, then why would Green give him more ice time than any other forward on the team so far this season? It wouldn't make sense to me as Green would just be undermining himself by doing this.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2

15 hours ago, -DLC- said:

His puck management is a big problem.

He gives up pucks way too easy in a prime location for counter attack. If you have no play, the puck's gotta go deep. He makes these blunders multiple times each game. For every high danger scoring chance he helps to create, he gives one up. The problem is that the puck needs to come off your stick quick if there is a teammate going into open space, instead he hangs on to the puck too long and pushes himself into a corner.

He would do a lot better by simplifying his game. Don't keep on to the puck too long, but pass it off and go to a position where you can receive a pass or just go to the net and take a defender with you. That creates a lot of space for Petey and Brock to operate. Now, he's just standing around in the perimeter when Brock/EP has the puck. Brock and EP are providing puck support to each other and to JT but JT is rarely a passing option for EP and Brock.

If he can fix these issues, he is an amazing player and exact power forward type that we always wanted.

3 hours ago, wildcam said:

I really like Miller but as we have all seen his frustration and body language can be over the top? Have you ever worked with someone with personality like Miller"s?

Well after while other co workers get affected and can start scared to make mistakes...

Hockey is much different than other workplaces.  Name another workplace where you could slam someone into the (boards) wall or throw your gloves down and fight.

We don't want pussycats we want lions.  Hockey players can't shrivel up because another guy is angry...put on your game face.

• Cheers 2
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • RoughGame 1