The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Are we a playoff team next year?

Rate this topic

tan

1 minute ago, Amebushi said:

Can Edler play as well as last year? Can he and Tanev play all year?  Does Bear Cheese recover 100% and fill a top six spot?  Can Virtannen become the wrecking ball we all want while maintaining last years defencive growth?  Lots of questions that lead up to a big ol maybe 

Even the top teams are a key injury of two away from missing the playoffs.  JB getting Miller is an insurance policy against injury in our top six.  We are a much better team today, than we were when the season ended.  

• Upvote 3

The team certainly has some bodies to move out or bury in the minors but I am happy with the progression of the roster. In one more year guys like Woo, Madden, Lind, Juolevi, etc. will be pushing for spots. Hope the team is smart and only tests the UFA market for second tier d-men (max two year contracts). Ideally they are able to acquire a top 4 D via trade but I think the asking prices will be too high...best to wait until next year OR wait for cap strap teams to get desperate at the end of the summer. Mgmt needs to be hyper focused on potential "Ehrhoff" type deals available in Aug/Sept.

Miller Petey Boeser

Pearson Bo Leivo

Baer Gaudette Jake

Motte Beagle Sutter

Goldy   LTIR: Roussel

Edler Stecher

Hughes Tanev

Benn (UFA) Stralman/Schenn (UFA)

Sautner

Marky

Demko

The stakes are too high if they don't.  JB is hustling this offseason to make sure they do.  Besides, the yougin's need to start getting some playoff experience.

Baer Pete Boes

Pearson Bo Miller

Roussel  Sutter/Gaud  Virtanen

Leivo  Beagle  Motte

Granny/MacEwan

Edler Miller (trade with Vegas -Clarkson IR + Bris)

Hughes Meyers

Hutton/Benn Stech (Trade Hutton's rights if $ is too high)

Biega/Rafferty

Marks

Demko

This team might even smack the Lightening with #18-20th overall

Edited by higgyfan
  • Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Fanuck said:

Ask me when the dust finally settles this off-season. 

I understand but the question is for right now (pull out your crystal ball!)... What do you think?  Gotta put your neck out there.

I think absolutely!  I see us either 'overachieving' and getting in the #6-7 spot and making a run to at least deep into the second round or just missing and moving up into the top 3 of the lottery!  

Either way this seasons going to be a great one... gauranteed!

I'm counting on it!  Last season the crazy amount of injuries ruined it for us when we were in a position to make the playoffs.  We'll be better up front with Miller coming and the young guys developing.  Management is going to make moves to improve the D...which is already better with Hughes.  Markstrom is still peaking.  Looking good!

I think most people would say the Knights and Flames would be at the top of the division. The Sharks are a bit of an unknown given the number of players they have signed for next season. If EK can stay healthy, they shouldn't have a problem making the playoffs.

Arizona actually finished with more pts than us last season. But I don't think they will make it unless they add a lot more scoring.

Edm with Tippet behind the bench... Let's see if he can turn that mess around.

Both LA and ANA should be at the bottom.

For us, injecting Pearson and Miller into the top 6 is great. If we can improve the RHD situation and stay healthy, we should be in the wild card race. Heck, with a weak division, we may even get that #3 seed in our division

23 hours ago, Laoag said:

We pretty much have the Same team from last year at this point so no, no we wont.

Young players get even better, we add basically another horvat to the team in Miller, of course we’re much better and if we have luck with injuries last year we would have had about the same amount of points as the Knights.  So yes I see us being third in our division or a top wild card team, especially if we add to our defence which is looking like we are with Myers and/or Barrie.  This team will surprise you pessimists out there next year.

55 minutes ago, Rindiculous said:

Young players get even better, we add basically another horvat to the team in Miller, of course we’re much better and if we have luck with injuries last year we would have had about the same amount of points as the Knights.  So yes I see us being third in our division or a top wild card team, especially if we add to our defence which is looking like we are with Myers and/or Barrie.  This team will surprise you pessimists out there next year.

We also added Pearson and Schenn at the end of the year. Should Sutter and Bear stay mostly healthy we should have no trouble making the playoffs. 

Again it's going to come down to goaltending. Marky needs to play at the level he did last season and Demko needs to take the next step and be solid.

Our goalies need to be on point and steal games for us. As long as they give us the opportunity to score, the forwards need to deliver. 

If we land the right Dman fill that void in our Top 4, improve D the way we did with Miller in our Top 6, that improvement will help our goaltending as well. Hughes will certainly provide more offensive opportunities from D too. 

I still think we're at a place of overachieving but we absolutely can't underachieve. Need another season where more goes right than wrong. 

Also Petey needs to leg out the entire season and not fall off after January. That could be the difference of whether we get into the playoffs.

Totally doable but let's see how JB improves our D this offseason.

2 hours ago, Rodishred said:

I understand but the question is for right now (pull out your crystal ball!)... What do you think? 

If you're gonna push me for an answer right now, then no, sorry - I don't believe we make it the way we're built right now at this exact moment

We had a pretty terrible -30 goal differential last season.  The last wildcard team (Col) had a +14 differential - theoretically that's almost 45 more goals we need to score than allow and still hope the other lower teams don't improve equally as much as us or worst case, leapfrog us entirely.  Does anyone realistically see us closing that gap with virtually the exact same forward roster plus Miller?  Not to mention we were 23rd overall in the league in GF - we desperately need to score and all we did was add Miller - even if he has a career year and gets say 30g, we still need to find more scoring from somewhere.  That's not even mentioning the defence which imo is the biggest weakness of this club right now.  We let in the 5th most goals in the entire western conference last season and as it stands right now, we're bringing back pretty much the EXACT same defense core with the exception of having a full year of Hughes - and let's be honest, we expect a lot of the kid because we're CDC, but NO ONE expects him to be the guy who comes in here and sets the defensive tone in our own end.   

Listen, I desperately want this club to succeed, but realistically, the way we are built right now, I don't see playoffs happening.  People are recently saying we can expect development and improvement from within as our core group of kids naturally get better and put up more numbers - well what club in the west doesn't have a group of young kids who will do the same - so for me that's a wash.  AZ,Chi,Edm can all realistically expect improvement as well imo (well maybe not EDM lol:).  Their franchises aren't standing still - they are improving also.  So where have we improved significantly right now where other non-playoff teams haven't?  Imo, we haven't improved enough in the most important areas - putting goals in the other teams net, and keeping goals out of our own net. 

I haven't even touched on the aging vets who will undoubtedly get injured along the way - Sutter, Tanev, Eagle, Roussel, maybe Beagle again - some of these guys will undoubtedly suffer injuries and where's the depth to replace them, especially on defence? 

Maybe JB will pull a rabbit out of a hat and surprise us with something (or scare the bejesus out of us once again on July1) this summer? 

But like I said, the exact way we are put together right now at this very moment on June 23rd - I don't see playoffs next spring unfortunately.    People may not like hearing that, but objectively, realistically, that's how I see it. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

It's funny how the majority of fans have completely forgotten about Baertschi. He was putting up really good numbers until his concussion and even during his brief return he was putting up points. I predict he will be healed and healthy next season and will nicely slot into our top 6.

Also the Miller trade with the conditional 1st round pick basically says that we are not pushing for a playoff spot next year but most definitely will be in the following year.

Edited by koregen

12 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

If you're gonna push me for an answer right now, then no, sorry - I don't believe we make it the way we're built right now at this exact moment

We had a pretty terrible -30 goal differential last season.  The last wildcard team (Col) had a +14 differential - theoretically that's almost 45 more goals we need to score than allow and still hope the other lower teams don't improve equally as much as us or worst case, leapfrog us entirely.  Does anyone realistically see us closing that gap with virtually the exact same forward roster plus Miller?  Not to mention we were 23rd overall in the league in GF - we desperately need to score and all we did was add Miller - even if he has a career year and gets say 30g, we still need to find more scoring from somewhere.  That's not even mentioning the defence which imo is the biggest weakness of this club right now.  We let in the 5th most goals in the entire western conference last season and as it stands right now, we're bringing back pretty much the EXACT same defense core with the exception of having a full year of Hughes - and let's be honest, we expect a lot of the kid because we're CDC, but NO ONE expects him to be the guy who comes in here and sets the defensive tone in our own end.   

Listen, I desperately want this club to succeed, but realistically, the way we are built right now, I don't see playoffs happening.  People are recently saying we can expect development and improvement from within as our core group of kids naturally get better and put up more numbers - well what club in the west doesn't have a group of young kids who will do the same - so for me that's a wash.  AZ,Chi,Edm can all realistically expect improvement as well imo (well maybe not EDM lol:).  Their franchises aren't standing still - they are improving also.  So where have we improved significantly right now where other non-playoff teams haven't?  Imo, we haven't improved enough in the most important areas - putting goals in the other teams net, and keeping goals out of our own net. 

I haven't even touched on the aging vets who will undoubtedly get injured along the way - Sutter, Tanev, Eagle, Roussel, maybe Beagle again - some of these guys will undoubtedly suffer injuries and where's the depth to replace them, especially on defence? 

Maybe JB will pull a rabbit out of a hat and surprise us with something (or scare the bejesus out of us once again on July1) this summer? 

But like I said, the exact way we are put together right now at this very moment on June 23rd - I don't see playoffs next spring unfortunately.    People may not like hearing that, but objectively, realistically, that's how I see it. 

A very thorough no.  You have a bunch of well articulated points that point to the canucks not making it this year.  I will agree that odds are them not making it verses not.  I just believe they will find a way and surprise the majority naysayers.

• Upvote 1

The Goal should not be making the playoffs but winning the StanleyCup, and after watching the hockey played in the playoff this year the Canucks are so far away from that dream.  The sad part of this being a Canucks fan is I see Colorado and many other west teams further along in their rebuilds then the Canucks . I would say in about 6-7 yrs the Canucks will have a window for a couple years of cup runs if things keep going the way they are. I hope I am wrong.