The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ethan Keppen | LW

Is the case of him dropping due to teams scared that he's only doing well because he's more physically mature than most of his peers? It's kind of ironic that a lot of prospects are held back till they mature physically yet teams are sometimes reluctant to pick players who are already mature. I know there's more to it than being strong but he seems to have the tools to potentially make it, just a matter of how well his skill set translates.

4 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

That's a good pick right there boy

Yup.  This guy will play for us.  Podkolzin and Keppen were great picks.  Two big boys, who can skate, have skill, and are extremely hard to play against.  

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, GoldenAlien said:

In Brock Otten's media/ scout survey, Keppen came in as the 9th best prospect from the OHL. The top eight were Kaliyev, Harley, Suzuki, Tomasino, Robertson, McMichael, Rees, and Kolyachonok.  They were all taken between picks #18 to #53.  

http://ohlprospects.blogspot.com/2019/06/final-mediascout-poll-for-2019-nhl-draft.html

“Big winger with excellent speed and a strong stride down the wing. Good vision make him a sharp passer. A little weak on the puck and along the boards at times and needs to improve his ability to win puck battles. That being said, Keppen does have a nice scoring touch and quietly put up 30 goals and 59 points on the Flint Firebirds.” - Dylan Galloway

“Despite being stuck in a difficult situation in Flint, Keppen was one of the more impactful draft-eligible wingers in the OHL. The power forward is a load to handle down low and can force his way into prime scoring areas. Once there, he boasts the heavy and accurate release that helped him score 30 goals and average over three shots per game this past season. He was a play-driver for the Firebirds, with 51 of his 59 points being primary. He's rarely outworked or outmuscled. Likely destined for an energy role, that should still bring value to a team selecting outside the top-60. Quicker feet. Better puck skills. And adding some more creativity to his game would certainly improve his chances of being offensively impactful at the next level.” - Cam Robinson

“Power forward with good skating and scoring touch. Battles along the boards and protects the puck well. My pick for one of the steals of the draft. Wouldn’t be surprised that in five years people are asking why he wasn’t a 1st-2nd rounder. “ - Levi Hill

“One of, if not the underrated player in the draft. I’ve been told he could be a better skater, but I’ve seen a lot and I don’t see that criticism. Keppen is tremendously strong and determined on the ice. He is never far from the puck, plays responsibly in his own end patrolling both the centre and left wing of the ice well on an awful team, and was often kept away from Flint’s most talented forwards. Great in transition and an underrated passer, but his biggest advantage is moving pucks and playing hard all the time. If you love Vasily Podkolzin and don’t get him, Keppen is far from a bad alternative, and you could land him far later in the draft than he should go. You want metrics? Just a 27% total involvement, but 25% primary point involvement at even strength, second only to Kaliyev, and had primary points on a remarkable 70% of goals scored at even strength. Once Flint rounds out their defensive game, which was horrid at times, the whole ship should start to right itself, and Keppen will be the top beneficiary.” - Will Scouch

After a quiet rookie season, Ethan Keppen made some major strides and has become a diverse power forward for the Flint Firebirds. Keppen notched 30 goals this year in a variety of ways. Sometimes he used his size and positioning to score the ugly way, other times he'd fired one in off the wing, and sometimes he'd finish off plays in tight or on a breakaway as gracefully as they come. Although I think Keppen can improve his skill a lot, he added some serious finesse to his game and the improvements he's made in a one year span are enough for me to believe he's got even more potential he hasn't shown us yet. Keppen really exploded in the second half of 2018-19, and found great chemistry on the top unit with Dellandrea/Durham, but also had some great flashes with Cody Morgan who faired exceptionally well in Flint after being traded from Windsor. Keppen showed his ability to improve, he's versatile, and he's a good fit with the Firebirds. Those are all positive signs moving forward, and are enough to make me think he'll end up as a late third round pick in this year's draft.” - Victor Findlay

Especially love that we grabbed both Podkolzin and Keppen as they fell. 

I watched the scouching report for this kid and honestly he’s got me convinced this was a big steal as well and if he was on a different team in a better situation he probably would have been ranked much much higher.

pretty stoked on our draft this year

• Like 1