The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ethan Keppen | LW

Still ecstatic about Keppen, had him as a possible late round target at the beginning of the year then his stock rose.  For reference:

Dellandrea (#13 in 2018): 67GP - 27G - 59 Pts in his draft year, 60GP - 22G - 63 Pts in his D+1.

Poulin (#21 in 2019): 67GP - 29G - 76 Pts

Keppen (#122 in 2019): 68GP - 30G - 59Pts

Even though Keppen's stats don't jump off the page, his 59pts is tied for second on his team (Dellandrea is first).  Now, Flint was even worse during Keppen's draft year than Dellandrea's.  Last year, Flint went 20-43-3.  This year, the team went 16-46-6.  They didn't get their first win until November, when their record was 1-16-1.  For Keppen to keep improving in that kind of situation is a testament to his compete and character.  He scored goals at a similar rate as Poulin, another hard-nosed PWF who isn't the greatest skater.  But Poulin played in a higher scoring league (QMJHL), and his team had 36 wins and 77pts, more than double Flint's 16 wins and 38pts.  If Keppen played on a better team and racked up an extra 10 assists, suddenly he'd be a 6'2", 212 lb point per game player.  That would be a legitimate second round prospect -- Foote is a late birthday and had 63pts in 66 games and went #27. 

From Keppen's coach:

“He really uses his size to his advantage and he is fearless out there. He isn’t afraid to go up and down the wing and go to the hard areas to make plays.”

Even when the going got tough in Flint, Keppen was continually a catalyst for the Firebirds as he helped them finish the season earning 11 of a possible 16 points down the stretch.

“It shows his character,” continued Wellwood. “He was a kid who right from the get-go, even when things were at the lowest point, he said he was all in no matter what. He’s a natural leader, he wants to have team success and he’s willing to do whatever he needs to do.”

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

From Podz to Kepper I like the build. We're going to be harder to play against and giving more room for our top skill guys. And with a strong forecheck our puck possession is going to be that much better. It's like a Bulldog style we've needed.

Edited by Hairy Kneel
  • Upvote 3

Seems to me this kid has every opportunity to find a role in the roster. Apart from a shortage of RHD or scoring wingers there's also a need/shortage for this type of player. Sounds to me like he brings a little truculence to the future roster.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Seems to me this kid has every opportunity to find a role in the roster. Apart from a shortage of RHD or scoring wingers there's also a need/shortage for this type of player. Sounds to me like he brings a little truculence to the future roster.

In four years, when Miller’s contract runs out, is Keppen ready for that role?  I think you’re right, and Keppen is another excellent looking prospect.  

We have to reach out and find some Flint fans out there that have access to internet so that they can keep us updated on his progress! 

On 6/28/2019 at 3:04 PM, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I really liked how his character was on full display here. Sounds like a good kid with incredibly high work ethic.

One thing he mentioned was becoming good friends with Michael Dipietro. Another character guy. Keppen's going to make the NHL - i have no doubt about it.

• Cheers 1

• 3 weeks later...

I went through the previous drafts and noted that players picked in this range can also succeed at the NHL level....Keppen seems to be a player that may be able to be one of these players given what he has in size, desire and talent.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Pete M said:

I went through the previous drafts and noted that players picked in this range can also succeed at the NHL level....Keppen seems to be a player that may be able to be one of these players given what he has in size, desire and talent.

Considering his skill set, which includes size and toughness, I’m surprised he didn’t get picks sooner.  He’s got really good hands too. I see him as having more chance of making the NHL than Gadjovich

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Considering his skill set, which includes size and toughness, I’m surprised he didn’t get picks sooner.  He’s got really good hands too. I see him as having more chance of making the NHL than Gadjovich

Because he has size and toughness (in the Ohl) is precisely why Gadjovich is having to adjust in the AHL. Might just be the same  learning curve Ethan will have to adjust to also.Hard to say if hes that much more likely of making the NHL until hes put in that position. 

• Upvote 2