The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ethan Keppen | LW

Made all the conventional queries and searches and nothing. Does somebody have an update on this player's situation? What am I missing? I'm assuming injury but what is it? 

I'm only interested because with our rabid fanbase on here you'd think there'd be some update forthcoming. He's not a sexy 7th round pick, mind you, or a fifth.

On 9/19/2019 at 8:56 PM, flickyoursedin said:

At the draft I felt Zegras was a top 5 talent. Sad when he got picked right before our pick. You’re right though that it’s clearly wrong for people to compare those two players because it’s not like we passed on Zegras. He was gone before our pick. The comparables for people will be Boldy, Krebs and Newhook who were also highly touted guys that we passed on. I for one am happy with the Pod pick over those guys.

I was a huge Morits Sieder, Newhook, supporter never thought Podkolzin would be available for us though. I was and still am over the moon with that pick. 

Podkolzin is a very tough player to play against he will hunt you down and take the puck from you.

1 hour ago, hammertime said:

I was a huge Morits Sieder, Newhook, supporter never thought Podkolzin would be available for us though. I was and still am over the moon with that pick. 

Podkolzin is a very tough player to play against he will hunt you down and take the puck from you.

Newhook has had an incredible 2nd half of the season in the NCAA. Sakic took the two west coast boys while in Vancouver. 

• 9 months later...
On 12/14/2020 at 3:51 AM, NHL'er said:

Seems to have regressed a bit in his draft +1 point production 

5 hours ago, dpn1 said:

He played on a very bad team in Flint.

Quite a shame too. Timing has not been on Keppen's side, with a down year, with the pandemic/lack of game exposure, and his rights will be expiring this upcoming June which could look very likely the Canucks elect to walk away from Keppen. 

I do recall he suffered a minor injury towards the halfway mark of the season and was out for a while too.

• Cheers 1

• 2 months later...
On 12/16/2020 at 11:06 AM, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Quite a shame too. Timing has not been on Keppen's side, with a down year, with the pandemic/lack of game exposure, and his rights will be expiring this upcoming June which could look very likely the Canucks elect to walk away from Keppen. 

I do recall he suffered a minor injury towards the halfway mark of the season and was out for a while too.

I’d actually like to see the NHL bring in a COVID-19 rule to extend existing draft rights by a one year option. Would have to be signed off on by both the team and the player, of course, but I could see lots of players and teams benefiting from such an arrangement, given the lost development time, as well as the lost assessment time, due to the pandemic.

• Cheers 4

7 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I’d actually like to see the NHL bring in a COVID-19 rule to extend existing draft rights by a one year option. Would have to be signed off on by both the team and the player, of course, but I could see lots of players and teams benefiting from such an arrangement, given the lost development time, as well as the lost assessment time, due to the pandemic.

This would be ideal too for teams especially if the draft (rumored) for 2021 will be move to be concurrently run in 2022.

Allows teams to get an extra look before they have a huge influx of players hitting their reserve list.

7 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

This would be ideal too for teams especially if the draft (rumored) for 2021 will be move to be concurrently run in 2022.

Allows teams to get an extra look before they have a huge influx of players hitting their reserve list.

No draft in 2021 at all? What a bizarre idea. What would be the purpose of that?

1 hour ago, morrissex95 said:

They'll combine the 2021 and 2022 NHL Drafts. I like that idea. 

Big disadvantage to Seattle though.  They need the draft this year to get some prospects to help populate their farm team here in Palm Springs.  Maybe there could be a supplemental dxpansion draft for them in the ED where they could pluck 1 player off the AHL teams of the final 8 playoff teams 

3 hours ago, Googlie said:

Big disadvantage to Seattle though.  They need the draft this year to get some prospects to help populate their farm team here in Palm Springs.  Maybe there could be a supplemental dxpansion draft for them in the ED where they could pluck 1 player off the AHL teams of the final 8 playoff teams 

So, they also get to choose the top prospects off the best teams, that are probably the best teams because they have the best development programs. I don't agree with punishing the best for no other reason than that they have become the best - it is an example of punishing achievement. If Seattle is smart they will accumulate a ton of picks from teams trying to protect players - just like Las Vegas - a team that was pretty much granted a perennial playoff appearance by an overgenerous entry to the league. Other teams had to struggle to build contenders. I love success that is earned and despise success achieved by appropriating the assets that others have earned.

I see you have a dog in the fight, being co-located with the Seattle farm team.

5 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

No draft in 2021 at all? What a bizarre idea. What would be the purpose of that?

Purpose of that is that, very few of the players who will be eligible, are able to actually play this season. Idea would be that they get another year of development and teams would actually get to see these guys play some games, before they draft them.

The suggestion is not to combine the drafts, but to have 2 drafts in 1 week

aka

2021 draft mon/tues

2022 draft thurs/fri

The trouble is, the very best in this year may complain that it is taking their lively hood away, which was one of the arguments for drafting 17 year olds

It was a legal matter, I believe????? I could be wrong, but I thought I remember something like that............anti-trust laws??????

I am probably wrong ????