The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ethan Keppen | LW

22 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

I see you have a dog in the fight, being co-located with the Seattle farm team.

Can't see myself getting season tickets though.  Maybe if Utica visited occasionally, but with the usual AHL conference setup that would only be in the playoffs, by which time I am back in Vancouver.  Plus with the Canucks (and anyone else I want to watch) on Center Ice and Utica on NHLtv. There aren't many slack evenings.

8 hours ago, Googlie said:

Can't see myself getting season tickets though.  Maybe if Utica visited occasionally, but with the usual AHL conference setup that would only be in the playoffs, by which time I am back in Vancouver.  Plus with the Canucks (and anyone else I want to watch) on Center Ice and Utica on NHLtv. There aren't many slack evenings.

Yeah, I get it. I live in Abby, when we had the Calgary farm team here, we used to get the Comets. We used to get big crowds in that 7000 seat arena. If the Canucks had made a deal with Abby, they would have packed that rink on a consistent basis, especially now with the kind of prospects we could have put in that rink. But, the travel would have sucked for the players.

• 4 weeks later...

https://globalnews.ca/news/7688886/ontario-hockey-league-ohl-executives-reflect-march-2020-pause/

https://globalnews.ca/video/rd/c9291976-81e6-11eb-bd4c-0242ac110005/?jwsource=cl

A year ago, the Ontario Hockey League was ramping up towards another post-season and all of a sudden, like the rest of the world, it hit a wall.

The Canadian Hockey League released a statement, pausing junior hockey around the country due to the pandemic.

“I only came home with a duffel bag with, like, a tracksuit and a few pairs of socks,” said Ethan Keppen, Flint Firebirds forward.

Keppen and his team were returning to Flint, Mich., at the time and they were sent home.

“I still have most of my stuff down there and hoping I get to see them again someday and get the rest of my stuff,” said Keppen.

The Whitby product was thinking he’d be back with his teammates in a few weeks but it’s turned into a year.

In the short video it shows Ethan Keppen training on ice as the OHL waits to start up again.

Can't but feel bad for this guy. Had a good draft year, his +1 Draft year he gets a major wrist injury, sinks his numbers and the pandemic robs him of the ability to bounce back. Really hurts his chances of earning an NHL contract with the Canucks. With Jonah Gadjovich blossoming again and Jackson Kunz showing well, maybe there is hope that the organization may be patient with Keppen.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

https://globalnews.ca/news/7688886/ontario-hockey-league-ohl-executives-reflect-march-2020-pause/

https://globalnews.ca/video/rd/c9291976-81e6-11eb-bd4c-0242ac110005/?jwsource=cl

In the short video it shows Ethan Keppen training on ice as the OHL waits to start up again.

Can't but feel bad for this guy. Had a good draft year, his +1 Draft year he gets a major wrist injury, sinks his numbers and the pandemic robs him of the ability to bounce back. Really hurts his chances of earning an NHL contract with the Canucks. With Jonah Gadjovich blossoming again and Jackson Kunz showing well, maybe there is hope that the organization may be patient with Keppen.

Unfortunately, his draft rights will expire this coming June 1st, and with the pandemic severely limiting his opportunities to really prove himself worthy of a contract, he’ll likely go unsigned.

He’ll have to try for a good season in 2021-22 as an overager, and hope he gets noticed by a team looking to add a free agent (possibly the Canucks, since I’m sure our scouts will continue to track him, even after the draft rights have expired).

But it’s very true that he’s been unfortunate, both with his injury, and the shortened seasons due to Covid. He was a promising prospect who, under better circumstances, may have already earned an ELC. 

I hope he bounces back, and eventually catches on somewhere. Ideally with us, if he manages to get back on track. He has a strong toolkit of skills and has good hockey sense, combined with an impressive physical package (at around 6’2”, 210lbs), and could still prove himself to be a pro-level player one day.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Cheers 1

I still have some hope for this kid. I hope we find a way to sign him up and develop his game down in Utica. It’s a shame he hasn’t gotten an opportunity to showcase his talent that made him a worthy pick for us. Nevertheless, he could be a useful bottom 6 winger for us down the road if he puts it all together

• Cheers 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/9/2021 at 7:20 PM, Googlie said:

Wasn't dressed tonight for the re-opening game

Hopefully he can get a few practices in...  when was his last competitive game, more then a year ago?  The kid deserves at least a little mini camp of practicing. 

2 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

That's great to hear...hopefully Keppen has his injury woes behind him and shows well enough to be offered an AHL contract by the Comets or an NHL contract by the Canucks.  Organization is sorely lacking players who are 205+ lbs.

1 hour ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

F’n hey, that’s a nice little bonus if he can hang in the AHL. He’s supposed to be spending another year in the OHL. 

8 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Ended with 2 SOG and was a minus 2 in a 6 - 2 loss

If you were to ask the rabid Canucks fans about this performance, they'll be quick to say, "he's declining. Better trade him before he loses value"

• Haha 1