The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ethan Keppen | LW

I see him as our replacement for Gadjovich as a prospect. Three years ago I said that Gadjovich would need 3+ years in the AHL to adjust to the pace of professional play before potentially being an option for NHL deployment. After 3 years Gadjovich is torching the AHL like he did the CHL and looking to compete for an NHL spot next year. Keppen is just starting at the spot that Gadjovich did when he first got to the AHL. 

The unfortunate part is that Keppen lost a year of hockey due to the pandemic, so he's essentially hitting the starting point of his AHL development at a disadvantage relative to Gadjovich. Keppen is starting as cold as one possibly could. Given that, my expectations for him are none existent for this year. Hopefully he can simply play games and not get hurt for the rest of the year. It's good that he's getting comfortable with the coaches and his teammates. I would start his hopefully 3-ish year timeline at the beginning of next season barring any more stoppages in play. 

The reason I think Keppen and Gadjovich are so similar is because they play a similar style of game. Both are at their best when they are stronger than everyone and can manhandle opponents to win pucks. It takes time to gain the strength necessary to do that against pros. More than that, both are extremely high character guys. Based on the limited interviews and behind the scenes footage I've seen, I have full confidence that they have the mental fortitude necessary to stick to the process for that time. They seem to understand what they need to do to be successful at the next level and are willing to put the work in to get there. Gadjovich proved that he could steadily improve over multiple years and I think Keppen can do the same. 

• Cheers 2

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Googlie said:

Had a couple of mentions for forechecking.  But was on the ice for the opening goal against, 5 on 5.  Doesn't PK or PP (yet)

If they sign him, he will be a long term project IMO.

He may only be offered an AHL contract at the start, not sure.

• Cheers 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/8/2021 at 7:04 PM, Kootenay Gold said:

If they sign him, he will be a long term project IMO.

He may only be offered an AHL contract at the start, not sure.

Based on his limited deployment on the Utica squad split between the Blues and us, I feel like he may be given an AHL contract at most for next season. 

On the trajectory of some of our former Comets, an ECHL route (with the potential to slide back up to the AHL) may be explored too if he looks to continue his professional career. Not a dig on him, but he will continually see more competition at upcoming camp(s) if he is retained directly or indirectly through the Canucks. 

As Rick Dhaliwal mentioned this morning, the Canucks are entering into the final week to retain him directly as "Canucks" property:

17 minutes ago, Harvey Specter said:

Based on his limited deployment on the Utica squad split between the Blues and us, I feel like he may be given an AHL contract at most for next season. 

On the trajectory of some of our former Comets, an ECHL route (with the potential to slide back up to the AHL) may be explored too if he looks to continue his professional career. Not a dig on him, but he will continually see more competition at upcoming camp(s) if he is retained directly or indirectly through the Canucks. 

As Rick Dhaliwal mentioned this morning, the Canucks are entering into the final week to retain him directly as "Canucks" property:

I have my doubts that the Canucks sign him but he may be offered an AHL contract with the Abby team. A lot probably depends on how Ryan Johnson evaluated his very limited appearance in Utica.

2 hours ago, wildcam said:

So excited to watch farm team in Abbotsford.....

I live in the Kootenay's so I will not have that opportunity.

I'm hoping some kind of TV deal with the AHL can be reached to broadcast a few games throughout the season. I have also reached out to the Abbotsford News to see if they were planning on doing an online sports section write up, or if it will be by subscription only. I would guess it will be the later but here's hoping. 

• Cheers 1

On 5/26/2021 at 11:26 AM, Kootenay Gold said:

I'm hoping some kind of TV deal with the AHL can be reached to broadcast a few games throughout the season. I have also reached out to the Abbotsford News to see if they were planning on doing an online sports section write up, or if it will be by subscription only. I would guess it will be the later but here's hoping. 

Hopefully someone like ChekTV picks up the home games at least or soemthing, that would be great. I am in the Okanagan, so not nearly as far away as you so I will make the trip to watch the farm team, not too often but maybe when I am going to a Canucks game hit up an Abby game that same weekend!

• Upvote 1

Should be possible.  San Diego Gulls has for the past few years been broadcasting home games on local Fox (for some reason, I get this station in Palm Springs),  and this last season all Comets home games were televised thru Nexstar (see link).   And AHL-TV isn't that expensive - last shortened season was only US$29 for the season, covering every AHL game

http://www.uticacomets.com/news/detail/comets-announce-first-ever-live-television-partnership-with-nexstar-inc

• Cheers 1

All AHL games are on TV (via the internet), but you have to pay for the privilege.

Edited by Ray_Cathode