The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Carson Focht | C

elvis15

17 hours ago, Quantum said:

For those who don't know, Carson Focht was invited to the Development Camp for Team Canada in prep for the 2020 World Juniors just before the draft. He's also going to be teammates with Jett Woo next season. It'll be interesting to follow him next year with both of those factors in play. I hope he makes the 2020 World Juniors squad and becomes a sleeper pick for the Canucks.

Some CDC fans want Woo to make the Canucks this year which is grossly over playing this kid. I want another solid year in the DUB and a Gold medal game at WJC. Then he can challenge the Canuck roster. Saying that he starts in Utica.  

• Upvote 2

On 6/23/2019 at 11:29 AM, Boudrias said:

Some CDC fans want Woo to make the Canucks this year which is grossly over playing this kid. I want another solid year in the DUB and a Gold medal game at WJC. Then he can challenge the Canuck roster. Saying that he starts in Utica.  

Yeah, and plenty are anointing our top picks as NHL locks, Miller as a bum, etc., etc. That's CDC for you. I don't mind optimism but our prospects will take as long as they need to, and even then some won't pan out we expect to. It's just nice to have options.

It'll be good to get a better look through the World Juniors though, and hopefully both make it!

On 6/22/2019 at 12:49 PM, Top Sven Baercheese said:

Ranked #284 by Future Considerations... 

No D-men yet hey? 

They took a whack of Dmen last year.    That draft was deep with them.   This draft is deep with forwards.   Keep picking forwards this year!

• Upvote 2

On 6/22/2019 at 2:02 PM, FlyLow_ said:

Not a fan of taking players that have been through the draft already.

Why not?   What on earth does that have to do with anything?   These are not robots - they develop on different trajectories.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Why not?   What on earth does that have to do with anything?   These are not robots - they develop on different trajectories.

I am not a fan of overagers either. That said I don't mind if the statistical production warrants it. In this case a below ppg player in his D+1 eligible year does not really warrant a pick. I'd like to see minimum 1.2-1.5 ppg for CHL league in order to make me consider drafting a player, even if it's later rounds. Obviously hope he proves me wrong but I seriously doubt this guy will ever be a player.

2 hours ago, TGokou said:

I am not a fan of overagers either. That said I don't mind if the statistical production warrants it. In this case a below ppg player in his D+1 eligible year does not really warrant a pick. I'd like to see minimum 1.2-1.5 ppg for CHL league in order to make me consider drafting a player, even if it's later rounds. Obviously hope he proves me wrong but I seriously doubt this guy will ever be a player.

Any 5th rounder is not likely to be a player, for starters.

In Focht's case though, he had a big jump in production this year over last. Also, not all points are created equal. It's not like he was on a stacked team getting easy second assists by passing to a surefire stud. Nobody on the Hitmen was much over a point-per-game.

Gaudette didn't look like much when they took him either. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, TGokou said:

Why a fixation on points?    That is far from the only discriminator on player potential.   Further, what style did his team play?   What role was he given?   Was the supporting cast good?   There are some CHL point producing phenoms who never played a minute in NHL and others who didn't light it up who went on to massive impacts in the NHL.   Every player is unique.

17 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Why a fixation on points?    That is far from the only discriminator on player potential.   Further, what style did his team play?   What role was he given?   Was the supporting cast good?   There are some CHL point producing phenoms who never played a minute in NHL and others who didn't light it up who went on to massive impacts in the NHL.   Every player is unique.

The points are a key factor to having future NHL success particularly for players who are already overage to begin with. I mean if you want a 4th line grinder you can pick those up in free agency or retool a player you currently have in the system who might not make it as a top six forward. Of course it is only a statistical model. Not saying this player can't be a player some day but definitely the offensive upside will be severely limited. I will however admit it's own shortcomings considering I don't watch these players play and players like Tyler Madden and Adam Gaudette who didn't have a very good statistical draft season AND was an early birthday would've precluded them from being drafted in their respective rounds by my standards so my opinion obviously means nothing.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

Seems like other have their collective eye's on this kid

"The Calgary Hitmen Hockey Club would like to congratulate teammates Carson Focht and Jett Woo on their invites to Hockey Canada’s Summer Development Camp in preparation for the 2020 IIHF World Junior Hockey Championship."

Maybe he's not just chopped liver

Edited by Fred65

1 hour ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Seems like a good kid, but would have taken a chance on Martin Hugo Has with this pick, big czech RD with a big shot and has top 4 potential. Not a huge fan of drafting overagers.  

Not often you see a 5th round selection become a top 4 D. As a rule I'm not a fan of overage picks either but this kid has come to the attention of the selection group for the IIHF WJC and that's maybe …..  top 30 forward in the CHL ?

14 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Not often you see a 5th round selection become a top 4 D. As a rule I'm not a fan of overage picks either but this kid has come to the attention of the selection group for the IIHF WJC and that's maybe …..  top 30 forward in the CHL ?

...About as often as a top-6 forward. Here's what some past 5th rounds yielded (who are at least occasionally are top-4 D, top-6 F, or starting goalie):

2013 - Will Butcher, D

2012 - Connor Hellebuyck, G; Ben Hutton, D; Alexander Kerfoot, F; Colin Miller, D

2011 - Andrew Shaw, F

2010 - Zach Hyman, F; John Klingberg, D; Michael Ferland, F; Petr Mrazek, G; Brendan Gallagher, F

2009 - Mike Hoffman, F; Nick Jensen, D

2008 - n/a

2007 - Jamie Benn, F; Jake Muzzin, D

It's a real long-shot for a 5th to make an impact. And it's not like you can tell beforehand - if you could, the player would be selected higher. But at least if you select a guy with good character and work ethic, he can still have a positive influence on the other prospects in your system, even if he fails to even play a single NHL game.

6 hours ago, D-Money said:

...About as often as a top-6 forward. Here's what some past 5th rounds yielded (who are at least occasionally are top-4 D, top-6 F, or starting goalie):

2013 - Will Butcher, D

2012 - Connor Hellebuyck, G; Ben Hutton, D; Alexander Kerfoot, F; Colin Miller, D

2011 - Andrew Shaw, F

2010 - Zach Hyman, F; John Klingberg, D; Michael Ferland, F; Petr Mrazek, G; Brendan Gallagher, F

2009 - Mike Hoffman, F; Nick Jensen, D

2008 - n/a

2007 - Jamie Benn, F; Jake Muzzin, D

It's a real long-shot for a 5th to make an impact. And it's not like you can tell beforehand - if you could, the player would be selected higher. But at least if you select a guy with good character and work ethic, he can still have a positive influence on the other prospects in your system, even if he fails to even play a single NHL game.

True, it's a 12% chnace in fact of making it, there again some of those listed are certainly neither top 4 or top two lines … but yes they are playing in the NHL. By the way you missed Gaudette from your list :) But if 12% make it 88% don't