The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Arturs Silovs | G

8 hours ago, Kosmo Kramer said:

But why? We weren't about to lose him.

Maybe he wouldnt have come over, like you say.

Maybe it's about giving the kids the funding to only worry about development?

Do they get that ELC money right away? Or just after they turn pro?

Just curious, certainly not trying to argue or hate on the kid.

8 hours ago, Kootenay Gold said:

I agree that we were not about to lose him and think it was more a combination of Clarke really liking him, wanting him to come over to play in N.A. and providing him with the capital to do that.

My understanding is that he would receive the signing bonus of 85k right away even though he is playing in juniors and that would have helped him greatly in making the move across the pond.

8 hours ago, Kosmo Kramer said:

Makes sense.  Heck yeah 85k would be huge for these kids.

Gentelmen Hes europian.... 

They sign him so he cant sign a pro contract in Europe or Russia......guys close to a pro level are very much in danger of being poached by those leagues. If not signed.... the nhl remains a dream... and the employment opportunities in the leagues over there are very real and pay the Bill's now

Last thing we need is the kid turn Into a phenom.... we need him and hes under contract to some khl or tier 1 swedish/finish team for another 4 years.

Edited by Snapshot85
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, Snapshot85 said:

They sign him so he cant sign a pro contract in Europe or Russia......guys close to a pro level are very much in danger of being poached by those leagues. If not signed.... the nhl remains a dream... and the employment opportunities in the leagues over there are very real and pay the Bill's now

Last thing we need is the kid turn Into a phenom.... we need him and hes under contract to some khl or tier 1 swedish/finish team for another 4 years.

That makes tons of sense and something I didn't consider. Thank you.

• Huggy Bear 1

On 8/24/2019 at 4:55 AM, GoldenAlien said:

Nice story by Silovs' agent from after the draft:

Love that we were the first to have him on the radar!

The guy did a huge sales job for Silovs, and for himself. I am however impressed with how things played out. Props to Silovs and his agent for pushing HARD.

• Cheers 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/14/2019 at 12:52 AM, Snapshot85 said:

On 10/14/2019 at 12:52 AM, Snapshot85 said:

Could be the only way he could afford to play in North America.  

• 1 month later...

Unfortunately since my last posting back in November; Silovs game has gone downhill. Not sure for the reason but do wonder if Barrie's goal tending coach, Billy Smith, is a good choice for the style of play that goaltenders use now. Do we have a few goaltenders here on CDC that have any thoughts on this? I would love to see the young man get his game back that he had at the start of the season as he was looking like a steal of a pick for a 6th rounder.

10 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

Unfortunately since my last posting back in November; Silovs game has gone downhill. Not sure for the reason but do wonder if Barrie's goal tending coach, Billy Smith, is a good choice for the style of play that goaltenders use now. Do we have a few goaltenders here on CDC that have any thoughts on this? I would love to see the young man get his game back that he had at the start of the season as he was looking like a steal of a pick for a 6th rounder.

“Pitchfork” Billy Smith?

I really don't think Billy' s game style from the 80's translates well to the modern game. It could be a wasted year for him if he is coaching him that way. I have not seen any of the games live so do not know if that is the case but I do wonder.

Edited by Kootenay Gold
clarity

12 hours ago, Kootenay Gold said:

I really don't think Billy' s game style from the 80's translates well to the modern game. It could be a wasted year for him if he is coaching him that way. I have not seen any of the games live so do not know if that is the case but I do wonder.

To be fair, just because a goalie played a certain way (in the 80's no less) doesn't mean they coach to play that same way, today. I doubt he'd even have a job in that case.

Techniques, positioning etc change and develop over time and coaches generally keep up with those changes and coach those... Not how they played 30+ years ago.

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

To be fair, just because a goalie played a certain way (in the 80's no less) doesn't mean they coach to play that same way, today. I doubt he'd even have a job in that case.

Techniques, positioning etc change and develop over time and coaches generally keep up with those changes and coach those... Not how they played 30+ years ago.

That is all very true but Silov's game has steadily gone south as the season has progressed. Hard to say if it is Silovs, the coaching, the play of the team or a combination of any or all of the three.

I just hope that it gets figured out soon and his play starts to progress in a more positive direction.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Kootenay Gold said:

That is all very true but Silov's game has steadily gone south as the season has progressed. Hard to say if it is Silovs, the coaching, the play of the team or a combination of any or all of the three.

I just hope that it gets figured out soon and his play starts to progress in a more positive direction.

When in doubt, blame coaching. Seems like a common theme on CDC these days.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, theo5789 said:

My post was not so much as to specifically blame the coaching but to ask if those that watch the Barrie Colts games if they have any first hand views and thoughts as to why his game seems to have regressed as the season has progressed.

1 hour ago, theo5789 said:

Not so much as to blame coaching but more to try and understand why Silovs game has gone south on him thus the reason for the original post.

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

My post was not so much as to specifically blame the coaching but to ask if those that watch the Barrie Colts games if they have any first hand views and thoughts as to why his game seems to have regressed as the season has progressed.

Not so much as to blame coaching but more to try and understand why Silovs game has gone south on him thus the reason for the original post.

I know what you're saying. My comment was tongue in cheek.

• Cheers 1