The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Arturs Silovs | G

• 3 months later...
On 5/6/2020 at 8:57 AM, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Did anyone else know that Silovs is married? :blink:

https://www.therecord.com/sports/waterloo-region/2020/03/12/life-with-a-wife-in-the-ohl.html

Married at 18 to his high-school sweetheart in Latvia, which allowed her to come to NA with him on his work visa. The married teenagers are both taking high-school classes and living together in the home of a billet family.

Pretty crazy stuff. 

I mean, it all kinda makes sense, under the circumstances (as described in the article). The two kids love each other and would’ve had to live an ocean apart, if not for tying the knot early. It’s just so rare these days to hear about kids this young getting married, let alone a having a married guy as a prospect and a player in the OHL.

Them parts fairly common..learned from interviews w/ Borat.

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

I don't watch a lot of OHL games.  How has Arthurs played this season and is he a legitimate option for Utica next season (being Mikey's backup)?  Mikey was very good this year and he seemed to have a better first season than Demko did and he has done it at a younger age.  I think we have 2 guys (Mikey and Thatcher) that will be #1 goalies down the road and if Silovs turns into a good backup, we will be looking good in goal and that isn't even considering Markie.

• 3 months later...
2 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Silovs had a rough debut for HS Riga, giving up 4 goals in the first period.

Riga didn't really help out much defensively, on a lot of the goals, his D was standing around, but he also had issues with tracking the puck and giving up several goals upstairs.

I would imagine that there is a lot of rust to his game right now. Lets see how he does with a few games under his belt. Still have hopes for him as a possible future NHL'er.

14 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

I would imagine that there is a lot of rust to his game right now. Lets see how he does with a few games under his belt. Still have hopes for him as a possible future NHL'er.

Form some of the clips that the twitter guy posted for Silovs on the goals, looked like he was swimming a bit and had lost some of his technical parts of his game.  Rust for sure, but I think it would help a lot too if he had more exposure with Ian Clark who often stresses upon quieting movements in goal to make simple saves.  Not sure if Riga has a dedicated goalie coach and what they are asking of him.

But for sure would be helpful if he got some more work in with Ian Clark, because he certainly has some untapped potential

• 5 weeks later...