The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Arturs Silovs | G

Silovs is only 20 years old.  Big goalie, same size as Demko.  He could be a real steal for us.  I think he has more pure talent than DiPietro and is a much bigger goalie which gives him a big advantage.

Demko is still not even in his prime yet so most likely we move one of these two for a D asset.  Silvos is only 20 so he could refine his game for a few years before he challenges Demko on the big club.  DiPietro is 22 so he really needs to step it up if he wants to play in the NHL as a starter.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

8 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Silovs is only 20 years old.  Big goalie, same size as Demko.  He could be a real steal for us.  I think he has more pure talent than DiPietro and is a much bigger goalie which gives him a big advantage.

Demko is still not even in his prime yet so most likely we move one of these two for a D asset.  Silvos is only 20 so he could refine his game for a few years before he challenges Demko on the big club.  DiPietro is 22 so he really needs to step it up if he wants to play in the NHL as a starter.

MDP likely backing up Demko next year, which should give Silovs another year + to develop. They can make a call on who to trade then (another 1-2 seasons).

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, aGENT said:

MDP likely backing up Demko next year, which should give Silovs another year + to develop. They can make a call on who to trade then (another 1-2 seasons).

Not sure you want to run with MDP as your backup if you want to do some damage in the playoffs.  I'd rather keep a guy like Halak for another year as a safety net.  MDP has a save percentage of under .900 right now in the AHL.  He isn't ready to even be a backup right now.

• Cheers 1

Yeah, I am not a huge MDP fan......I am stuck on his size

but, IMO, I am good with keeping the best player long term, 

I just do not see MDP being a backup in Van.

Silovs is interesting.....lets see if he can maintain it!

Halak for  another year, makes perfect sense!

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Not sure you want to run with MDP as your backup if you want to do some damage in the playoffs.  I'd rather keep a guy like Halak for another year as a safety net.  MDP has a save percentage of under .900 right now in the AHL.  He isn't ready to even be a backup right now.

I would be more inclined to revisit this MDP vs Silovs discussion around midway through the season. We should have a better idea how each is progressing at that time. If neither is outstanding by that point; I would really consider Halak as an option but of course that depends on how well he is performing too.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

Cull on Silovs: "Artie has shown really well. He's young and looks like a great young prospect for the organization. I thought he played really well tonight."

Sautner on Silovs: "Artie's been great. Obviously last game he was terrific and tonight he made a ton of big saves for us. We had too many breakdowns in front of him where Artie would make the first save and then we didn't get rid of the rebounds. He's a gamer and he battled again for us tonight."

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Silovs has only had 6 starts this season in abby.  Hopefully with Spenser Martin now on the Canucks taxi squad he will get some more starts.

Last year he was loaned by Utica to the Moose and only played one game - so he needs to play to develop.

I like him.  Actually I think he may have a better chance at an NHL career than MDP.  We will see..

Hoping he gets a bunch of games coming up in the next few months to get a real look at him.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1