The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Karel Plasek | RW

16 minutes ago, 204CanucksFan said:

According to Dayal and Drance at The Athletic, Plasek's ELC is being done with the intention of getting him in to the farm system and adjusting to the North American game as quickly as possible and the contract will not have any type of European Out Clause.

Nice, I like another Jasek. I wonder if Plasek got burried in the Czech leagues as well.

9 hours ago, Kootenay Gold said:

Silovs is on an sliding 3 yr entry level contract and almost guaranteed that he will back up DiPietro in Abby.

Although I think we'll sign another experienced goalie for backup in Vancouver this summer, just in case, I fully expect DiPietro to show up and win the backup job. That said, I could also see them putting DiPietro and Silovs on rotation as backup this coming season, with the advantage that they can easily send DiPietro down the highway for a few days, playing for Abbotsford and then pull him back.

Something where they might expect Demko to start 55 - 60 games, so the option to send him down and get Mikey some playing time will be really advantageous.

28 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Although I think we'll sign another experienced goalie for backup in Vancouver this summer, just in case, I fully expect DiPietro to show up and win the backup job. That said, I could also see them putting DiPietro and Silovs on rotation as backup this coming season, with the advantage that they can easily send DiPietro down the highway for a few days, playing for Abbotsford and then pull him back.

Something where they might expect Demko to start 55 - 60 games, so the option to send him down and get Mikey some playing time will be really advantageous.

I have to disagree with you on this as I really do think DiPietro will play in Abby and play a lot. There is no real need to rush him to the NHL.

• Cheers 2

10 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

I have to disagree with you on this as I really do think DiPietro will play in Abby and play a lot. There is no real need to rush him to the NHL.

I don't see this as rushing him, I think this kid is closer to ready than a lot of people think. We'll have an answer though in a few months! :)

13 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

that's really not how farm systems work I don't think.  PLayers don't come up for a game or two just because.  There has to be a reason.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/31/2021 at 8:42 PM, VegasCanuck said:

I disagree. I know being up in the bigs is nice, but after the "season" DiPietro had where he played very little to no games, I think its best served that he be the workhorse for Abby than waiting behind Demko every 5 games. I would've maybe agreed had Jimbo the Hutt managed Dipietro's development better this past season, but Mikey needs as many games as he can. Let him run the ball in Abby for a season, maybe a 70-30 split with Silovs, and if he plays well, put him in the backup spot with the Canucks the season after.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

I disagree. I know being up in the bigs is nice, but after the "season" DiPietro had where he played very little to no games, I think its best served that he be the workhorse for Abby than waiting behind Demko every 5 games. I would've maybe agreed had Jimbo the Hutt managed Dipietro's development better this past season, but Mikey needs as many games as he can. Let him run the ball in Abby for a season, maybe a 70-30 split with Silovs, and if he plays well, put him in the backup spot with the Canucks the season after.

It’ll all depend on Holtby. If he’s not taken in expansion, and not traded to shed cap, then he’s here next season and he will be the backup.

But if we find ourselves in a situation where Holtby is no longer with the team, and maybe a cheap veteran/journeyman backup is signed, then I think it’ll be a legitimate competition between DiPietro and that veteran guy, as to who will be the NHL backup, and who ends up in Abbotsford.

For what it’s worth, DiPietro fully intends to make the team next season. Most likely, he won’t have a chance, due to Holtby. But remove that factor from the equation, and all bets are off.

Even with the development setback of not getting many games last season, DiPietro also had the benefit of working nearly the full year with Ian Clark. Those technical gains shouldn’t be understated. He’s a very different netminder now, compared to where his technique was in 2019-20. I think there’s a very good chance he could prove himself “NHL ready” at camp/preseason, if there’s actually a legitimate pathway open for him to claim that backup job (but again, that all depends on Holtby).

Whatever happens, it’s a good situation and will be fun to watch. I expect Holtby to be much improved next year, and if he’s the Canucks backup, I expect him to have a really solid season, and him and Demko to provide a top notch 1-2 tandem. If in Abbortsford, I expect Mikey DiPietro to be among the AHL’s leading goaltenders, and a leader (on and off the ice) for that team. The end result might be Holtby traded at the deadline to a contender that wants to shore up their net, and DiPietro called up to finish the season in the NHL (and never look back, because I’m pretty confident he’s going to have a very good NHL career).

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
Autocorrects not automatically correcting things
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

15 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

It’ll all depend on Holtby. If he’s not taken in expansion, and not traded to shed cap, then he’s here next season and he will be the backup.

But if we find ourselves in a situation where Holtby is no longer with the team, and maybe a cheap veteran/journeyman backup is signed, then I think it’ll be a legitimate competition between DiPietro and that veteran guy, as to who will be the NHL backup, and who ends up in Abbotsford.

For what it’s worth, DiPietro fully intends to make the team next season. Most likely, he won’t have a chance, due to Holtby. But remove that factor from the equation, and all bets are off.

Even with the development setback of not getting many games last season, DiPietro also had the benefit of working nearly the full year with Ian Clark. Those technical gains shouldn’t be understated. He’s a very different netminder now, compared to where his technique was in 2019-20. I think there’s a very good chance he could prove himself “NHL ready” at camp/preseason, if there’s actually a legitimate pathway open for him to claim that backup job (but again, that all depends on Holtby).

Whatever happens, it’s a good situation and will be fun to watch. I expect Holtby to be much improved next year, and if he’s the Canucks backup, I expect him to have a really solid season, and him and Demko to provide a top notch 1-2 tandem. If in Abbortsford, I expect Mikey DiPietro to be among the AHL’s leading goaltenders, and a leader (on and off the ice) for that team. The end result might be Holtby traded at the deadline to a contender that wants to shore up their net, and DiPietro called up to finish the season in the NHL (and never look back, because I’m pretty confident he’s going to have a very good NHL career).

Even without Holtby here, the safest play would be for Dipietro to dominate in Abbotsford, get the massive share of the crease.

Lets just say he does become the backup (not chosen by the team, but hypothetically chosen by the fans), is the team really going to be comfortable for a young goalie whos only played a few games in a year span to back up Demko? Nope. Being the backup entails him to still play well. Yeah Ian Clark is great , but coaching can only get you so far, Dipietro still needs reps. Do people want Dipietro to just be a backup level player? or do we want him to potentially be a solid perhaps even an all star calibre player? If its the latter, you stick him in the minors. Even if he does become the backup, lets say he plays 25 games, that means hes played less than 30 games in 2 seasons, thats stifling his development especially with all the lulls of being the backup waiting for the next game. We want Dipietro to be a solid goalie, maybe challenge Demko for #1, or be a valuable trade chip later down the road, not just a goalie that we just stick in there for the sake of being a young goalie based on hype

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

Even without Holtby here, the safest play would be for Dipietro to dominate in Abbotsford, get the massive share of the crease.

Lets just say he does become the backup (not chosen by the team, but hypothetically chosen by the fans), is the team really going to be comfortable for a young goalie whos only played a few games in a year span to back up Demko? Nope. Being the backup entails him to still play well. Yeah Ian Clark is great , but coaching can only get you so far, Dipietro still needs reps. Do people want Dipietro to just be a backup level player? or do we want him to potentially be a solid perhaps even an all star calibre player? If its the latter, you stick him in the minors. Even if he does become the backup, lets say he plays 25 games, that means hes played less than 30 games in 2 seasons, thats stifling his development especially with all the lulls of being the backup waiting for the next game. We want Dipietro to be a solid goalie, maybe challenge Demko for #1, or be a valuable trade chip later down the road, not just a goalie that we just stick in there for the sake of being a young goalie based on hype

Yeah, a prospect can only learn so much from watching and the only way to really develope is to play - regardless of readiness.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I am actually really excited to see what Karel Plasek is all about. Its been a hard time getting a read on what exactly the kind of player that he is.

I heard from Sat Shah on 650 say that Karel Plasek's most notable trait was his speed and puck skills. Looking forward to see how that develops in Abbotsford.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...