The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jack Malone | RW

6 hours ago, rekker said:

Wow. Just reading an old copy of Hockey News 2019 draft preview. Malone was ranked 56th at that time. Two sport athlete, baseball. May have got a steal here because of his commitment to school. Nice job JB and staff. 

I know a couple people I consider pretty knowledgeable on USHL stuff and they had him as high as the 30-50 range for this draft. They say we got a gem of a player here.

EDIT: kinda reminds me of the Rathbone pick. We’ll have to see how our pair of Jacks turn out, but quite possible we end up with a couple very good players in Rathbone and Malone that were drafted much later than they should have been.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Upvote 3

On 6/23/2019 at 12:03 PM, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Quite possible. I read an older interview from when he was a sophomore in high school and he talked about how he’s from an “education first” family and how hockey always comes second to his studies. He talked about how long he spent choosing his college (Cornell) and all the others he visited and ultimately rejected offers from (like Harvard and Princeton). That was a while ago, and I haven’t seen him discuss his education plans recently, but there’s probably a good chance he’s one of those guys who wants to complete his full 4-year degree before going pro.

If he is even 1/2 as good as the other "professor" we drafted in the 214 slot 34 years ago he will have a long career with us

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

How did this guy fall to the 6th round?....just to be talking about him grouped with the bolded below is unreal...

(quote from G.A. above);

All five of the players that finished ahead of Malone in scoring were selected in the first four rounds; in fact, four of the five were picked in the first two rounds. In other words, players with a similar statistical profile to Malone’s mostly got picked by the second round of the draft. To get Malone in the sixth round already seems like a steal, but it gets better.

If you take the power play out of the equation and just look at 5-on-5 scoring, Malone shoots up to first. His 43 points at 5-on-5 led all first-time draft-eligible players in the USHL last season.

Sure, there’s a mild caveat: on a per-game basis, Malone was out-scored at 5-on-5 by Alex Turcotte, Matthew Boldy, Jack Hughes, Cole Caufield, Bobby Brink, and Trevor Zegras. But now we’re talking about first-round picks and one second-round pick that should have gone in the first round in Bobby Brink. Not just first-round picks, either, but players that went in the top fifteen picks of the draft.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

On 9/6/2019 at 4:37 AM, Phat Fingers said:

Late round gem in the mold of Gaudette... way to go JB.  

what NON 1st round pick has JB made that has cracked our lineup and produced?

Where is our debrincat, shaw, o reilly, palat, kucherov, johnson, guentzel etc? The top teams in cap trouble have found ufa or college fa or drafted players outside the 1st round who have made the team within a year or 2 and helped them win.

Fact is, JB has some interesting selections in some of those rounds but none have become contributing NHL regulars as of yet

1 hour ago, Canuckster86 said:

Where is our debrincat, shaw, o reilly, palat, kucherov, johnson, guentzel etc? The top teams in cap trouble have found ufa or college fa or drafted players outside the 1st round who have made the team within a year or 2 and helped them win.

Fact is, JB has some interesting selections in some of those rounds but none have become contributing NHL regulars as of yet

Finding late rounder that can step right in is an outlier.  To have that happen usually requires a solid frame work of top players to build around.  IE put player X on Crosbies wing, or with a Kane or Toews etc... and then laud the smart drafting wizards.  But often when those players are moved to other teams for picks or prospects, we'll they don't usually have the same success.  

Burrows and or Hansen with the twins was a similar situation.  I predict that we will see an uptick in 'late round gems' as Bo, Brock, Ep40 and Hughes grow into the stars they are currently on course to become.  

Gaudette looked good as a rookie last year.  For a 5th rounder in his first year pro, I am happy.  

Edited by Phat Fingers
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
23 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Our other college Jack had a goal tonight too. First of his collegiate career in the Cornell season opener.

EDIT: just beat me @JamesBlondage 

I was super happy when we drafted this kid. I think he has a decent chance at being a player in the NHL. For some reason he reminds me of Dave Capuano...

Edited by JamesBlondage
Typo

4 hours ago, JamesBlondage said:

I wasn't super happy when we drafted this kid. I think he has a decent chance at being a player in the NHL. For some reason he reminds me of Dave Capuano...

Don’t know what you expected at the end of the 6th round to make you unhappy about the pick. A lot of unknowns that deep in the draft. No real fallers and they’re all lottery picks. With Brackett and company picking another USHL player I was at least interested given their recent success with picks from that league.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

Don’t know what you expected at the end of the 6th round to make you unhappy about the pick. A lot of unknowns that deep in the draft. No real fallers and they’re all lottery picks. With Brackett and company picking another USHL player I was at least interested given their recent success with picks from that league.

Righthand shot, center/wing, 6’1”, 200ish lbs, scored over a point per game in the USHL.

Honestly, if we use every 6th rounder until the end of time on players with that kind of profile, you’ll see no complaints from me. ;) 

To be fair though, I think @JamesBlondage was just admitting he wasn’t super psyched about the Malone pick, which is fair.

I don’t think he was really saying it was a bad pick, per se.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 9/7/2019 at 10:42 PM, Canuckster86 said:

Not enough time to evaluate late round picks, though Demko is not a first rounder and Gaudette looks good.