The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Aidan McDonough | #25 | LW

4 hours ago, GoldenAlien said:

He could earn big minutes as a college freshman:

“We expect Aidan to come in and challenge for a top role in our club and to contribute offensively right away,” said Northeastern’s head coach Jim Madigan. “He's someone who has a very good stick, shoots the puck really well, gets the puck off his stick quickly in the slot area, and can score from 25-feet out as well as scoring in around the net.”

Enjoyed that article and especially happy to read this quote from Madigan. He said something similar when Madden was drafted. At the time, I thought it was just a coach talking up his recruit, but it turned out Madigan meant what he said, gave Madden a prime role to start his college career, and Madden ran with it, posting a very impressive freshman season. Hopefully that trend continues with McDonough. 

• 1 month later...
On 6/27/2019 at 2:02 AM, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Enjoyed that article and especially happy to read this quote from Madigan. He said something similar when Madden was drafted. At the time, I thought it was just a coach talking up his recruit, but it turned out Madigan meant what he said, gave Madden a prime role to start his college career, and Madden ran with it, posting a very impressive freshman season. Hopefully that trend continues with McDonough. 

I wonder if Madigan is on the Canucks pay roll  :lol:

• 2 months later...

McDonough, who didn't play Northeastern's first three games, made his college debut today on a line with Tyler Madden:

Northeastern tied with Holy Cross, 2-2.  Madden scored both of Northeastern's goals and was named the game's first star.  McDonough was held pointless but had 3 shots.  Hopefully he'll stay in the lineup, would be great if he can play with Madden all year.

I like that he was a late bloomer physically, alot of the early bloomers let's call it, do really well because of their size and when they catch up to playing men their own size it is a steep learning curve, their go to moves don't work anymore or as well.

Being small you learn to play smart,  then if you end up big, you have a bigger toolbox with size to boot.

Good luck this year Aidan.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Glad to see McDonough finally hit the scoresheet. And kudos to coach Madigan and the Huskies staff for sticking with the kid in the top-six. I like the way Northeastern isn’t afraid to give their talented freshmen chances to play big roles. We saw this with Madden last year, who was slotted in as #1C from opening night and really made the most of his opportunity. Hopefully McDonough can do the same.

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Glad to see McDonough finally hit the scoresheet. And kudos to coach Madigan and the Huskies staff for sticking with the kid in the top-six. I like the way Northeastern isn’t afraid to give their talented freshmen chances to play big roles. We saw this with Madden last year, who was slotted in as #1C from opening night and really made the most of his opportunity. Hopefully McDonough can do the same.

McDonough is a player the coach  hopes to play his full 4 years. It had to discouraging for a NCAA coach to have players walk away as sophomores

45 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

McDonough is a player the coach  hopes to play his full 4 years. It had to discouraging for a NCAA coach to have players walk away as sophomores

True, but their are still plenty of NCAA programs that make their freshmen “earn it” and will stick almost any rookie on the fourth line because upperclassmen are somehow “owed” all the spots at the top of the lineup. I just appreciate seeing Madigan tap these kids early on for key roles.

The Northeastern program has been a really good pipeline for Vancouver in recent years, and I think part of this is that they aren’t hesitant to give their recruits early opportunities, which can only help their development.

Of course, there can be a “too much too soon” factor throwing kids into top lines, but Madigan seems to have the right touch and knows how to develop young players.

I agree though that it’s easier for a coach to want to commit to giving a player an opportunity when that player is returning that commitment for four years, rather than a guy who looks at college as a pure stepping stone and doesn’t plan to stick around. Still, that’s just part of college hockey and in most cases, the short term players are top level talents and high draft picks, and most coaches are happy to have those kinds of recruits in the lineup, even if it’s just for a year or two.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Upvote 3